PDA

View Full Version : Checking Video Card Temperature

Lizard
17-01-2006, 10:51 AM
Having read another thread on a similar issue, it made me think about my current graphics card - Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB - and how it seems to be having difficulties in NFS: Most Wanted. It seems to be struggling after a period of intensive racing, and the framerate drops from around 42fps to anything between 7 and 26fps. Once or twice it locks up completely, and a hard reset is required. I've tried fiddling around with the quality settings within NFS:MW but don't really want to drop them too low. I wondered if it might be a case of the card heating up, but I don't know if there's any way to check the VC temperature. The BIOS on the MSI K8N Neo Platinum motherboard has temp readings for the motherboard and something called NB, but nothing about the VC. Does anyone know if there is a way to check the temperature of a Radeon 9800 pro?

Cheers

Lizard

The_End_Of_Reality
17-01-2006, 10:58 AM
How can you tell the FPS?

Go into display properties, settings, advanced, Radeon 9800 Pro tab, that is if it has one

HTH :thumbs:

Lizard
17-01-2006, 11:04 AM
How can you tell the FPS?

Go into display properties, settings, advanced, Radeon 9800 Pro tab, that is if it has one

HTH :thumbs:

The FPS shows in the top right hand corner of the screen in games (though I'm not sure how this gets there - I've certainly never knowingly chosen this feature, though it is helpful)

I've been through the tabs in the display properties pretty thoroughly, and never seen a temperature tab. I'm using the Omega Radeon drivers (latest version). These have always seemed to run better than the Catalyst drivers (barring the problems I've described)

Any other thoughts?

Cheers

Lizard

apparition
17-01-2006, 11:20 AM
that you have problems with speed after a period of time smells more to me like a leak of some kind. Like a memory leak in your game or other application.

Like firefox has been famous for leaking memory, I've had it running close to 80MB of RAM in previous verstions after running for an hour or two.

Addon temp sensors can get expensive.

DaveBritton
17-01-2006, 11:39 AM
you can check the temp using a tool called "ATI Tool" im sure a quick google will help you. I use it to o/clock and it is very handy for monitoring temperatures.

gammer123
17-01-2006, 04:09 PM
in some net gaems like counter-strike to see how much fps your comp is doing.. presss consel key (usually ~) then type in net_graph

sambaird
17-01-2006, 04:35 PM
Like firefox has been famous for leaking memory, I've had it running close to 80MB of RAM in previous verstions after running for an hour or two.

i have had mine usign 150

Pete O'Neil
17-01-2006, 06:49 PM
Not exactly the most scientific way of judging temps but when the system locks up, put your finger on the HSF of the the video card, if its too hot to touch there might be a problem. I'm probably wrong but i dont think 9800's had onboard temp sensors, off to google it anyways.

chiefnz
18-01-2006, 06:00 AM
You can have ATi Tool display the temp of the card. I am not too sureif the Pro version of the 9800 has a temp probe/sensor. If it does ATi Tool will tell you what it is. You can even set it to display the card's temp in the system tray.

Cheers

chiefnz

apparition
18-01-2006, 08:49 AM
i have had mine usign 150

wow 150 is a bit more than I remember seeing but 1.5 seems to be doing okay. I really noticed it on my mother's machine with 64MB RAM