PDA

View Full Version : Webbox access to email accounts

ojos
16-01-2006, 07:37 PM
I travel a fair bit with my work. so I have an Isp with an email account in three countries.
To manage my email I use a US based outfit called webbox.
This lets me access emails from three isp s and maintaining the emails on the host.
Then when I am on the "home" (country of origin) computer I dial up the ISP and download the mail for that one
Its a great service except

I recently signed up for xtra email
When I try and configure webbox it comes up to say xtra
settings are gromit.xtra.co.nz and blocks access to my mail
The help desk won;t speak to me

is there some setting I can use to access xtra through webbox?

Many thanks,

Ojos

Rob99
16-01-2006, 09:34 PM
Why do you use the ISPs mail box if you travel so much. Sure you still have to pay for an ISP for the connection but you dont have to use the email address they give you.

Why cant your work give you an email address, then access via web mail.

Or buy a domain name and host it somewhere, use the emails @yourdomainname you can set up as many as you like, all with web access.

I know that didnt help with your problem, but sounds a better idea to me than your current setup.

I would tripple check your settings at Webbox, you may have left out/spelt wrong something very minor.

maccrazy
16-01-2006, 10:10 PM
Or buy a domain name and host it somewhere, use the emails @yourdomainname you can set up as many as you like, all with web access.That would be my suggestion. Having three email addresses with three different ISPs is very inefficient and must cost a fortune (unless you need the internet connection as well) when you could spend US$10 per year on a domain and US$30 per year on hosting.

is there some setting I can use to access xtra through webbox?For some unknown reason Xtra limits how you can access POP3.

Laura
16-01-2006, 11:55 PM
I understand only some of the technicalities here.

But for the basics - I assumed it's webbox who won't allow you access to Xtra?

Then maccrazy implied it's an Xtra problem. Is that so - or do you want webbox info only?

(Before we get deluged with the usual anti-Xtra moans)

Safari
17-01-2006, 07:18 AM
Xtra blocks access to pop3 if you are connecting from outside their network.
They are one of the few ISP's who do this as most ISP's allow you to access pop3 from any connection.
Xtra does offer Secure-remote email which allows access to Xtra's secure pop server (pop3r.xtra.co.nz) but there is an extra cost for this.

Ojos - I suggest if you need a NZ email address and you want to use it with webbox you close your Xtra account and sign up with any of the other NZ ISP's who will allow pop3 access for your mail from any network.