PDA

View Full Version : Disk Image for recovery - which files?

manu
16-01-2006, 05:24 PM
History:
Just installed XP pro over the top of Win2K (used advanced install - not 'upgrade'). All went OK apart from not being able to delete the primary partition and have a totally fresh squeaky clean disk. THis was because I had selected "copy setup files to disk" to speed things up - not realising setup could later not format the disk... !
This was a blessing in disguise as I had forgotten to backup my download directory (doh!) where all those useful program setup files/utilities were and a folder with lots of work-related docs....

I did end up with a dual boot option menu at boot time but fixed that by chopping out the Win2K entry in boot.ini and deleting C:\WINNT folder to recover space.

back to subject:
People say "make a disc image for safety reasons after a clean install".
OK, I have Nero 6 and a CD/DVD burner. Which files/folder do I make an image of? - The whole C: drive?
Do I make it a boot image?
Guidance much appreciated.

Nomad
16-01-2006, 06:10 PM
I am not sure if Nero is able to image your HD.
You need something like Norton Ghost.

If you restore the files back, your HD will just not boot.

You should have the windows CD. So what I will do is just boot up the CD .. and choose to format your HD and then install. In otherwords redo it.

If you do not wanna reinstall but just make a image file, some pple may be able to assist but you do need some HD cloning software. Most backup software do not work and it will not boot when restored.

pctek
16-01-2006, 06:54 PM
History:
Just installed XP pro over the top of Win2K (

People say "make a disc image for safety reasons after a clean install".

Messy.

Yes, so that you don't have to go through the hassle of installing everything again if some tragedy happens.
Or if you just want to get rid of clutter.
But the idea is to have a perfect install in the first place. With everything you want on it.
Its like a photocopy of your partition or drive.
When you restore it back it will be exactly as it was when you made the image - minus anything added later.

I'd redo your install again then get Ghost or Drive Image or whatever image software you like. Nero won't do it.

dconline
16-01-2006, 10:11 PM
what i did was use partition magic to copy my main partition onto another 10gig hard drive and i can run xp off either harddrive but i keep the 10gig in my woodrobe just in case my main crashes, and i can copy the partition back onto my main when it stuffs up

manu
16-01-2006, 10:36 PM
tks for the advices. I'll take a look at Ghost

Greven
16-01-2006, 10:54 PM
How much do these things cost? I just borrow them off friends when I need them.