PDA

View Full Version : BROADBAND IN NZ VS UK

cognoscenti06
16-01-2006, 02:18 AM
Hi,

I am moving to NZ next xmas and i have heard that broadband is not too advanced over there??

But i have seen on here some people have 2mb ds which is not too bad for a starter pack....

Thing is i might find it hard going from my current (11mb ds 512k us , no dl cap) to 2mb and download restrictions!

I download around 100gb a month or more and enjoy having no limits on this.

http://www.gamertagpics.com/users/c/CO/COGNOSCENTI06/

Big John
16-01-2006, 02:46 AM
Hi,

I am moving to NZ next xmas and i have heard that broadband is not too advanced over there??

But i have seen on here some people have 2mb ds which is not too bad for a starter pack....

Thing is i might find it hard going from my current (11mb ds 512k us , no dl cap) to 2mb and download restrictions!

I download around 100gb a month or more and enjoy having no limits on this.

http://www.gamertagpics.com/users/c/CO/COGNOSCENTI06/

Well you better get used to 2Mb dl and 128Kb ul and max 10GB unless you wish to morgage your life away. Traffice is counted both ways for most ISP's but not all.

I am currently moving to IHug which has the above speed limits but has a 40GB Peak/40GB off peak and only counts DL data. If you go over this the speed falls to 64/64Kb

Telecom have a monopoly and the Goverment of NZ is to pathetic and weak willed to do anything about it even though they have said they would several times.

Rob99
16-01-2006, 02:47 AM
my current (11mb ds 512k us , no dl cap)What you got is what everyone here is asking Santa for next Xmas

cognoscenti06
16-01-2006, 03:21 AM
What you got is what everyone here is asking Santa for next Xmas

https://www.bethere.co.uk/

we can also get 24mb broadband here and no cap.....

mejobloggs
16-01-2006, 09:38 AM
https://www.bethere.co.uk/

we can also get 24mb broadband here and no cap.....Just... die ok? I don't want to hear it!

*** A noise of deep, wrenching sobs can be heard from mejobloggs' corner

Anyway, welcome for next year. Do you have any idea of what area you might be living yet?

Greg
16-01-2006, 09:55 AM
Do you have any idea of what area you might be living yet?My place ;)

kingdragonfly
16-01-2006, 10:18 AM
People move to New Zealand for quality of living, not the quality of the Internet connection.

However, it's not as bad as you've probably heard. It won't compare to the US / UK, but what would you expect?

cognoscenti06
16-01-2006, 10:19 AM
Christchurch

Prescott
16-01-2006, 10:29 AM
You could go for a plan that has unlimited national traffic and use the NZ DC++ hubs.

Metla
16-01-2006, 10:32 AM
BROADBAND IN NZ?

where?

Never heard of such a thing, Surely what we have doesn't even qualify...

stu161204
16-01-2006, 11:19 AM
Christchurch

Since you might be living in Christchurch you got more of an option for broadband (or what we like to call it here slow broadband)

Have a look at http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/ / http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/products/internet/highspeed/ as they in Christchurch / Wellington & Kapiti & The offer cable High Speed Internet

But the only thing I think you will fine is that cable will/may cost a far bit, but if you do go with cable you can get
ē 20 GB of monthly traffic
ē 10 Mbps downstream / 2 Mbps upstream

Which is a lot better then any telecom or any other ISP can do.

But if you want to go with ADSL the fastest you can go is 2M download & 128Kb upload & the bandwidth cap is depends on the ISP as some ISPís offer a 40 GB cap (Ihug - http://www.ihug.co.nz/) or a 12 GB cap but I think you will fine most ISPs the biggest cap you can get is 10 GB

Traffic is counted both ways for most ISP's but not all.

But if you go over your bandwidth cap you will be slowed down to 64K or you will be changed for the extra bandwidth that depends on the plan your on & The ISP

I would recommend that you shop around & have a look at all the ISPs as most of the ISPs are different i.e. the price can be a bit different, & the bandwidth cap varies between ISP.

The ISP I would NOT recommend is Telecom / Xtra (http://www.telecom.co.nz - http://xtramsn.co.nz/home/ ) as they help desk can be no good at some times, They dns servers suck some times & most of the other ISPís hate them and Telecom / Xtra do not don't do free peering with anyone which can be a pain at some times.

For when you are looking at ISPs: here is a website that can be useful http://www.netguide.co.nz/shopping/directory/index.php?directory=highspeed#listfocus:

I Hope this helps :)

Dragonslayer
16-01-2006, 11:48 AM
For comparitive information (ALthough it is a report from 2004), you may want to check out a report on "benchmarking broadband prices in the OECD": http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/58/17/32143101.pdf

or our own governments information here: http://www.med.govt.nz/pbt/telecom/benchmarking/2004/2004.html

Mr Wetzyl
16-01-2006, 12:46 PM
People move to New Zealand for quality of living, not the quality of the Internet connection.

However, it's not as bad as you've probably heard. It won't compare to the US / UK, but what would you expect?
Its true...well some ppl can't be satisfied with their internet cravings though...My neighbourhood is awesome! That's why I love NZ...

mgcarley
23-01-2006, 02:17 AM
What you got is what everyone here is asking Santa for next Xmas

Beat this:
http://www.mathew-carley.com/images/screenshot.png

:D

I have more screenshots of it hovering around 4100 kilobytes per second (Downloading SuSE 10 ISOs from... I think it was their FTP server in the US, but it could have been Germany or Sweden as well), which I will put at http://www.mathew-carley.com/images/ if I get time in the not-too-distant.

Ninjabear
23-01-2006, 03:57 AM
Fly to Hong kong.

$25 for 100mbps upstream and 100mbps downstream .Not shared.Upload speed and download speed doesnt affect each other.No data cap either.^^

100GB .Thats gotta be expensive.

I was planning to change the flat's 256k to 1mbps.After looking at the price.I never thought of it again

Ninjabear
23-01-2006, 04:06 AM
Beat this:
http://www.mathew-carley.com/images/screenshot.png

:D

I have more screenshots of it hovering around 4100 kilobytes per second (Downloading SuSE 10 ISOs from... I think it was their FTP server in the US, but it could have been Germany or Sweden as well), which I will put at http://www.mathew-carley.com/images/ if I get time in the not-too-distant.

I think Im quite close to that speed

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e9/ninjabear1567/mylinespeed.jpg

Ninjabear
23-01-2006, 04:08 AM
Im on 10mbps

If i get 100mbps.Then....uh...Imagine how fast it would that be

Ninjabear
23-01-2006, 04:18 AM

Yea.Like the nice fresh air and theres alot of land however when comparing to hk .The nz government seems to eat all your income?

Im not born in new zealand however i grew up in new zealand.I just find it very hard to live in nz as whatever you earn you have 3/4 back to the government and the broadband and stuff so expensive.I hope the government could do something with telecom!

Cicero
23-01-2006, 06:05 AM

Quality of living is having 24mb broadband here and no cap.....!

Ninjabear
23-01-2006, 10:26 PM
Quality of living is having 24mb broadband here and no cap.....!

I agree

DangerousDave
23-01-2006, 10:58 PM
I agree

If only the whole world was filled with computer nerds. Wait a second, we'd all be locked in our rooms playing world of warcraft and facing a mass social relationship deficit *cough* south korea.

Personally I prefer being about to put my arms out and not bump into anyone for a good part of New Zealand. I doubt NZ would handle extreme DSL speeds due to the distance, even if some form of regulation is implemented. If you want to get fast internet etc, go move to south korea.

Ninjabear
23-01-2006, 11:06 PM
I think most high qualify students have moved out of new zealand.

Ninjabear
23-01-2006, 11:07 PM
Its not about computer nerds

Even my grandma finds new zealand's broadband expensive and slow

DangerousDave
23-01-2006, 11:07 PM
I think most high qualify students have moved out of new zealand.
huh?

[edit] I might release an economics essay/paper I wrote on the basis of NZ broadband sometime. Should provide some interesting debate.

Ninjabear
23-01-2006, 11:11 PM
All my friends who were graduated in new zealand has moved out of new zealand.One of the main thing was broadband and the expense.

I think if i were to graduate and do business.I would require broadband but of the price in NZ I would choose another country where the expense won't be that high

I really hope some day new zealand can keep up with technology

DangerousDave
23-01-2006, 11:17 PM
Population density (from wikipedia, persons per sqkm):
South Korea: 491
Hong Kong: 6317
UK: 243
NZ: 15

I'll let you deduce from this information what you want, I'm not saying its the oracle of reasons. Heres a hint though: economies of scale.

Ninjabear
23-01-2006, 11:26 PM
If the government did something about telecom surely nz would be alot better

Nomad
24-01-2006, 12:04 AM
I don't think its BB are related to pple that is moving out.

There are some but not all that they like the intl experience, money comes into with bigger pay cheques but I think intl experience is the main reason.

Being youself who is a native foreign language person, I think they are not as recognised as other pple. Can be just diff style as diff in personality, organisation culture etc. Many of those I know are either at entry positions like call centre or data entry after they grad from uni. Myself having multiple uni qualifications with a postgrad qualifiication spent some time in neutral gear unable to get jobs to stay in NZ. I have considered going to aussie or Singapore due to my lack of skills of my non english skill. But I have conceeded so decided to get a entry job so just stay here so I don't need to worry about rent and I can do my interest of pilot lessons. But it is true most of intl students do just leave either they want to or that their work visa expired or that they are not able to secure anything apart from entry positions that pple can do incl .. those just out of high school. I plan do stick with basic jobs for a few yrs and see if I can work up with the org and I can do my pilot license. But employers do say to me just after they introduce themselves that I am overqualified but they will keep a open mind if this is suitable for me or not and of course you get the ones which require more experience but I hope to land a entry position.

For what I do can't afford to get BB at most I surf webs and can afford to avoid video conferencing or multi media. I don't think the price is that bad, but not saying its not bad. Ok you can't upload v quick and 2Mbit should be ok for most pple for downloads and 10GB to most pple should be fine. A lifestyle change but it should be fast enof for most pple most times. I don't think BB directly will reflect onto pple will just leave NZ. If they say NZ is generally a more expensive place for all general things then I would agree more ;) and maybe that bigger cities are more busier and more stuff are going on rather than the thing in NZ that you either go to work or go home. I quite like the asian lifestyle even thou I am not born there, how its a always on the go and everything from the bank to the bus or train is a competition and the house or apartment is merely a place to sleep and shower.

Cptn Hotshot
24-01-2006, 12:05 PM
All my friends who were graduated in new zealand has moved out of new zealand.
So they are here just to suck off the taxpayer, get all the benefits of being resident here and then bugger off and not contribute anything back? Well, those are the sort of people we dont need here! :mad:

Nomad
24-01-2006, 02:23 PM
So they are here just to suck off the taxpayer, get all the benefits of being resident here and then bugger off and not contribute anything back? Well, those are the sort of people we dont need here! :mad:

Most of those are intl full fee paying students. Ie.. the over $10k as opposed to $3k that NZ residents pays.

Those who get subsidised education prob have family here to begin with. Its difficult if not impossible for a 18 yr old foreign student to obtain residency by him/herself.

Ninjabear
24-01-2006, 04:47 PM

I would contribute if i could find a job.The problem was my parents couldnt find any job in new zealand and had to move else where to find a job

Ninjabear
24-01-2006, 04:52 PM
I find living is really difficult in new zealand but the best thing was the majority for people here in new zealand are quite nice compared to other places

O I remember hating winston peters.lol..

With the immigration laws and everything going it has some affect on overseas people

Renmoo
25-01-2006, 12:15 AM
*sniff* I smell argument here. Let's face this, I vehemently believe that the cost of living in New Zealand is significantly higher than most other countries in Asia. Even though the unemployment rate of New Zealand is at its lowest - as claimed by Labour Party - most asians are finding hard to get a job here. My mom used to be a teacher in Malaysia - no sweat, just teach - but my parents found that there is a lack of professional jobs here. Hence, she got to work at Pak N' Save. See? Brain power gone wasted, though I can't really blame New Zealand, as explained by its instrategic location at the Pacific Ocean. Similar to Ninjabear's situation, my father has no option but to work in Malaysia as an engineer to support the family. However, the good thing is that the interest rate for student loan has been abolished; thus, reducing my student loan course in the future. Oh, another thing, I still firmly believe that international students are important to New Zealand as they substantially support the economy. Few months ago, in the NZ Herald Perspective section, there was a reader who lamented the attitude of chinese students being snobbish and acted as if they are emperor. Also, statistically, New Zealand is being chosen as the last destination for chinese students to pursue their tertiary education. I can foresee that we are in for an economic downturn. With the ongoing outrageous spending of $1.13 for every $1.00 that NZers earn, the economic gloom might arrive NZ sooner that everyone thinks.

Cheers :)

Ninjabear
25-01-2006, 12:25 AM
Yes some chinese are like that. I agree

That is one people in hong kong generally calls themselve hong kong people not mainland chinese people.

My grandad did not like the chinese government very much.

I think that the reason why some people in china aren't is because they live in a place of poverty.poorly educated.

Anyway.

I was happy at the time when the british was controlling Hk.Now since it has been returned back to china.People in hk are watching closely towards the chinese government.

Rob99
25-01-2006, 12:49 AM
LOL, moving over seas because our internet is too expensive, what a load of crap.

I wanted to move over seas, but they didnt sell L&P, so I'm still here.

Ninjabear
25-01-2006, 01:16 AM
Not just the internet

Food is expensive as well.Just everything is expensive in nz

Dragonslayer
25-01-2006, 09:23 AM
All to do with economies of scale. Low Population/Sq Metre=High priced commodities.
High Population/Sq Metre=Cheap priced commodities.

I was in London last year, and they have supermarket chain called Tesco's. The price for the Tesco branded stuff was exceptionally cheap, even on the New Zealand Peso.

New Zealand will always be expensive compared to the 1st world countries, and I predict it will only become more expensive, with the resistance New Zealanders have to new infrastructure.
However, the benefits of having a small population, is the lower levels of polution, which I guess is one reason why foreigners like to move here. Also I guess the other reason is the recprical agreement we have with Australia, about being able to live there as a P.R. without having to apply for it.
Australia has a tougher immigration policy than New Zealand.

Anyway, that's my :2cents: on the matter.

mgcarley
13-08-2006, 06:02 AM
I think Im quite close to that speed

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e9/ninjabear1567/mylinespeed.jpg

That graph shows you getting some 32megabytes per second, which doesn't make sense on a 10megabit line.

I am downloading over 4 megaBYTES per second on this thing... thats over 40megaBITS of throughput... on a large ISO file, not just some 1000kilobyte test file, which could be cached easily. Show me how fast you download an ISO (under 5 minutes/700MB?) and then we can guage real speed.

Here we go - it's battle of the geeks.

Oh, and by the way, if you think everything in NZ is expensive, try living in Norway, Sweden, Finland, Moscow (but not really the rest of Russia), Switzerland, Austria or any "touristy" city in France, Spain or Italy...

I don't know specifics about many other countries in Europe, having spent only a very limited time in most of the rest of the countries on the continent, though places like Albania are cheap. Bulgaria is cheap also, and if you live in Sofia, its even pretty nice... relatively speaking... to most other "cheap" countries...

Keep on rockin!

Greg
13-08-2006, 11:58 AM
Oh, and by the way, if you think everything in NZ is expensive, try living in Norway, Sweden, Finland, Moscow (but not really the rest of Russia), Switzerland, Austria or any "touristy" city in France, Spain or Italy...
The cost of living in NZ is actually really good. Food, especially fresh produce, is fantastically cheap. Example - kiwifruit can be bought for a buck fifty per kilo. I recall paying almost a pound each when I was in UK a while back. The nation as a whole enjoys a good lifestyle.