PDA

View Full Version : Replies to Old Posts

Lurking
15-01-2006, 04:00 PM
Is it just my imagination, but do replies to old posts ever come to the front of the Forum!.

One reply sent also seems to have gone into cyberspace.

Happy New Year to all, even if the month's almost over.

Lurking.

godfather
15-01-2006, 04:12 PM
You mean like this post?
http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=65344

Which seems to have no context to anything (perhaps this is the "reply" that has gone into cyberspace)?

Lurking
15-01-2006, 04:40 PM
Nope GF, had to make the USB the new post, if a reply had been made to the earlier USB post, it would have lagged in the background and not in the today block.

Regards,

Lurking.

Laura
15-01-2006, 04:51 PM
Indeed they do, Lurking - sometimes dredged up from years ago.
Which post did you try to reply to? It should've come to the top of the front page as soon as you sent it.

Trev
15-01-2006, 05:32 PM
Or do you mean old post, nothing in paticular, like one the other day about the Mad Butchers Website.

Trevor :)

Trev
15-01-2006, 05:35 PM
Or maybe this one.

http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=52764

Trevor :)

godfather
15-01-2006, 06:24 PM
Lurking, they have no option but to appear again at the top of the list if a new post is added to an old thread.

They will then gradually move down as threads with subsequent posts are made.

It's the nature of the software used that this must happen. If you do not see your reply, its more a case of refreshing your browser cache. (Ctrl+F5)

Your reply that I highlighted above is not really very useful on its own as we have no idea what it refers to.

Lurking
16-01-2006, 08:30 AM
Thanks for all those reponses.

This was one posting.

http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/search.php?searchid=273441

A response by drcspy which I replied to, thanking him for the Everest software, which told me what sort of ram and it's speed. The mobo was a 100 and the ram were a 256 X 133 and a 64 X 100.

godfather mentioned cpu's of 100 and 133 speed working down but not the other way round.

Have done a thorough search on drcspy and my previous postings to no avail.

I don't get into pressf1 too often, as there are over 50 e-mails daily from two family history sites to read and digest.

The help from pressf1 members' is very much appreciated.

Lurking.

Mary
16-01-2006, 10:16 AM
Hi Lurking,

Can I suggest that you check your settings at the bottom of the Forum homepage? These appear under the title "Display Options". Check that you are viewing posts sorted by the "last post time" sorted by "descending". It's a shot in the dark, but perhaps you have altered this without realising.

You can also change the number of threads displayed when you open a forum homepage, I think the default number is 30-40 threads, this can be extended up to 80 which shows all of the new threads most of the time ;)
You can do this by clicking "Quick Links" on the top blue navbar, then under the "Thread Display Options" alter the "Number of posts to show" option.

I hope this helps :)

Lurking
16-01-2006, 01:39 PM
Mary, thanks for your reply. The display is as you have noted and the posts at site are 1-30 on the page.

Think I may have found the answer in my last reply. While waiting for pressf1 posts to come to screen, I bring up and read emails and must have inadvertantly closed the pressf1 screen with my reply!!!!.

This would be unusual as I bring up/drop down from the TaskBar, as of now I am reading a further 23 family history and couple of joke ones which I leave to the end, embedded pictures and pdf data takes awhile to renew.

Gosh the help is fantastic and nothing seems too much bother to this oldie.

Kind regards,

Lurking.