PDA

View Full Version : Saving Outlook Express Messages

Grimy
15-01-2006, 07:53 AM
Hi,
Probably covered lots of times so a link would be fine - I want to back up and burn to CD a copy of all my mail folders in OE. I tried the export messages option which brought up a box saying "This will export messages from OE to MS Outlook or MS Exchange" but if I click OK I get "The export could not be performed. An error occurred while initializing MAPI"
I'm using ME (not for much longer - new computer soon, hence wanting a coy of old emails).
Thanks,
Graham.

drcspy
15-01-2006, 08:08 AM
open OE/tools/options/maintenance/store directory button........then copy paste the address there into an explorer bar........that'll take you to all the .dbx files just save those to your cd........oh yep you can also do a startbutton/search for *.dbx those are the database files that contain all your mail.......save em to cd......

johnboy
15-01-2006, 08:11 AM
Try the tips in this MSKB.
MAPI Error Messages When You Import or Export Messages
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q179637

hth

Grimy
15-01-2006, 08:13 AM
Thanks for that, will give it a try after breakfast. Can I also save all my favourite web addresses?
Graham.

Cicero
15-01-2006, 08:17 AM
This from help in O/E.

To compact and back up e-mail folders

Select an e-mail folder.
On the File menu, point to Folder, and then click Compact.
To back up the folder, find the folder file, and then copy it to a backup folder, floppy disk, or network drive. Outlook Express e-mail folders have a .dbx extension (for example, "Sent Items.dbx").
Notes

Some message files might be too large to back up onto a floppy disk.
If you are using a program other than Outlook Express to send e-mail messages to newsgroups, check your e-mail program's documentation for information about compacting and deleting e-mail folders.

Grimy
15-01-2006, 09:46 AM
I have backed up my email folders and Internet favourites to CD now.
I can open the Internet web addresses okay, but cannot open the emails (dbx files). Have tried saving them to the hard drive on the laptop and even emailing a folder to myself, but they don't open. What program do I use to open dbx files?

johnboy
15-01-2006, 09:52 AM
Grab dbxtract from here.
http://www.321download.com/under100/page2.html
hth

Grimy
15-01-2006, 10:03 AM
Thanks for that Johnboy
Graham

Grimy
15-01-2006, 12:13 PM
That little download worked a treat.