PDA

View Full Version : Mozilla Firefox confusion

Fiwi
14-01-2006, 02:34 PM
I'm running windows XP, and this week downloaded Firefox. I've only just noticed that when I click on START next to MOZILLA FIREFOX (in brackets) it says SAFE MODE. Any ideas why it should say that? I have friends that have only recently downloaded it and say they've never seen it. :confused:

Thanks

mark c
14-01-2006, 03:40 PM
I don't know about browsers having a Safe Mode :confused:

When you say 'click on start next to Moz FF' what do you mean? The start button on the taskbar? "Next to Firefox" means, next to the icon for FF, next to Firefox in the Start / programs folder?

Have you been to the mozilla forums? http://forums.mozillazine.org/index.php?c=4

How about that, same on mine. Start / Programs /Firefox and then the option for Mozilla (safe mode) which I'm using now and can't see any difference.

imarubberducky
14-01-2006, 03:56 PM
I'm pretty sure safe mode means running firefox with no plugins or extensions activated, allowing you to disable or remove a plugins if it screwed up FF.

Feel free to correct me if im wrong.

mark c
14-01-2006, 03:58 PM
And a little bit of googling says that Safe Mode for FF means extensions are disabled. So OK bit like Safe Mode for an OS, just cuts it down to the minimum, probably themes too.

Sorry I'm not more informative, only just discovered this myself.

mark c
14-01-2006, 04:01 PM
imarubberducky has got the idea, from what little I know. Very sensible utility, disabling things so you can edit / remove them while they are not activated.

Never heard of this before myself, but in the last ten minutes learnt a lot.
(I never use extensions, themess and only the plugins that I cannot do without.)

Laura
14-01-2006, 04:34 PM
Thanks for posting this, Fiwi.

I'd also wondered about the Safe Mode choice, but see it rarely, as I usually start Firefox from Qick Launch or Desktop icons.
Now I'll have the courage to try what could be a useful option.

One point, though.
Did you mean either/both comps mentioned don't show both Mozilla Firefox & Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode)?
They should.
If so - mine has the Safe Mode option hidden under a " symbol below the other.
Try that if something seems to be missing.

Fiwi
14-01-2006, 07:15 PM
When you say 'click on start next to Moz FF' what do you mean? The start button on the taskbar? "Next to Firefox" means, next to the icon for FF, next to Firefox in the Start / programs folder?

Sorry I should have made this a bit clearer. When I click on the START button at the bottom left of screen. Main programs I use are there, it says MOZILLA FIREFOX (Safe Mode). When I downloaded it I also downloaded the FLASH plugin.

Thanks for the link to the Mozilla Forums Mark. :thumbs:

Laura, I usually use the quick launch option too and that's maybe why I didn't see the SAFE MODE either.

BTW I'm still kinda confused cos this is all new to me. :waughh:

beama
14-01-2006, 07:46 PM
Sorry I should have made this a bit clearer. When I click on the START button at the bottom left of screen. Main programs I use are there, it says MOZILLA FIREFOX (Safe Mode). When I downloaded it I also downloaded the FLASH plugin.

:waughh:

If it is a menu option in the start menu area I would presume that this allows you to start the browser in safe mode (no plugins loaded as prevously stated) this would allow trouble shooting if you ever had problems ( rarely would this happen with FF).

FF is a great browser.