PDA

View Full Version : More wireless network help please.

Greg
13-01-2006, 12:34 PM
We've got three computers and want to transfer data between them occasionaly. They don't need Internet access at the same time.

The idea is only to swap data between the laptop and main PC, and for the main PC to transfer very large files to the backup desktop machine (for backups).

All machines have onboard wireless network ability.

I'm wanting the network to use only sporadically, ie not always on. And I don't want it to interfere with my Internet connection.

I've looked at the network guides on PressF1 but it's still somewhat confusing for this tired brain.

Thanks for any help.

Rob99
13-01-2006, 12:42 PM
What type of internet connection do you have at the moment, and what is the device?

I would get a Linksys WAP54G access point.

qyiet
13-01-2006, 01:28 PM
The idea is only to swap data between the laptop and main PC, and for the main PC to transfer very large files to the backup desktop machine (for backups)... Define very large..

I've had trouble in the past transfering files > about 1GB, the network would dropout for a part of a sec, killing the transfer. If you are doing an entire machine backup you might want to consider getting a wired network to do it just for the additional speed and stability.

-Qyiet

Greg
15-01-2006, 11:28 AM
"very large" meaning the contents of my Data partition - currently at 10 gigs and growing.

A wired network is not a happening thing - the inconvenience of the cabling outweighs the benefit of the networking.

At the mo I usually transfer files between the computers via a MP3 player/thumbdrive, and backups are simply put onto a second drive on the main PC. I'd rather they were on an altogether seperate computer, but burning to disk and so on is not the most entertaining use of my idle time.

Pete O'Neil
15-01-2006, 01:55 PM
Transfering that much data over wireless will be a *****, but if thats what float your boat. I prefer the WRT54G overthe WAP54G, for slightly more money it comes with alot more features, for example the added 4port switch might come in handy when greg realises wireless is a pain in the ass.

Just setup the AP so its broadcasting your network, then configure all the PC's to connect to the AP. Ideally you'd want the AP to assign IP's to all the clients, but if you still want one PC to have internet that could be a problem. You may have to have a combination of static and dynamic IP's for the network to work how you want it. If you dont want the network to be on you can just turn off the AP.

What sort of internet connection do you have? What sort of modem? What you want to do with the network isnt the easist, its a very werid setup and kinda goes againist logic.

Pete O'Neil
15-01-2006, 02:58 PM
You could actually just get away with using a ad-hoc network setup, wouldnt require you spending anymore money, and could be configured to do what you want.