View Full Version : L2 Cache not found?

J ZEP
11-01-2006, 10:54 PM
Hi, i have been cleaning up a friends system -

Packard Bell iMedia M22005NW
Sticker on top says:
Intel Celeron 2.0Ghz with 128 Kb L2 cache
40gig, 256mb ram.
Aida also reports it has an Gigabyte GA-8SIML mobo.

I was curious when running Aida, it reported under 'probs and suggestions' that there was "No CPU L2 cache found" and read this:
L1 Trace Cache: 12 k instructions
L1 Data Cache: 8 kb
L2 Cache: 0

I know people have reported inconsistencies in this prog, however it made me curious... is there another way to check this L2 cache, i looked in bios and saw "Cache 128kb". I know/understand the mere basics with regard to the cpu cache and have researched it more today.
To be honest, i just thought the systems performance should be better, as its now a very clean lean system. I know it would no doubt benefit from a ram upgrade, so maybe thats all it is...

Any comments? Thanks :).

DangerousDave
12-01-2006, 02:04 AM
The cache is there. Don't worry about that! Celerons are generally known for their crappy performance. In saying that I'm quite happy with my 2.6ghz celery :).

256mb of ram is quite low for anything running XP, an extra 256mb minimum would be nice.

PENTIUM
12-01-2006, 11:47 AM
It is possible to disable L2 in CMOS settings, so that it may be on the processor, but disabled.
I generally use MEMTEST86 to check cache because it operates regardless of whatever operating system is installed on the HDD. You will need to have a facility to boot up with it, such as a floppy drive.
Alternatively it is possible to use an utility such as P C Wizard 2004 running from within your operating system.

J ZEP
12-01-2006, 12:16 PM
It is possible to disable L2 in CMOS settings, so that it may be on the processor, but disabled

Can you please elaborate further thanks, i had a look yesterday but couldn't see anywhere this was possible? IIRR i read that, that was dependent on the bios version or something along those lines perhpaps? So would appreciate your knowledge on where to check this please, Thanks :).

I have told her that a another stick of 256mb ram could be a good idea, so i will see if she can afford that at the moment too.

Celerons are generally known for their crappy performance.
I had been bearing this in mind, lol, as it has arisen several times over the years on here, however this is the first celeron i have used i think, so if it the celeron, i am not impressed with the performance...

Thanks

mark c
12-01-2006, 12:38 PM
Don't think I've ever used anything but a 'crapy' Celeron and never had any processor probs. I think the fine details of the cpu are really for gamers and hot rod buffs to worry about.

I'd defintely get some more RAM. Funny how some machines don't seem to carry the RAM the other specs would suggest. Maybe there's a racket of people nicking RAM out of unattended PCs. Onlt take a screwdriver and couple of minutes.

I like Everest Home Edition to see what's on the comp. You can get iit from www.majorgeeks.com.

Jen
12-01-2006, 05:37 PM
Run this program (http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php) on the computer in question and see what information it shows about the CPU. :)

Battleneter
12-01-2006, 05:38 PM
It is likely your app is looking for L2 cache on the motherboard itself as it used to be with old 486's.

As posted above the L2 cache is now on CPU die, so its going to be there. Probably outdated or stupid app. Even Celerons have a small about of L2 cache, less than P4's which is half the reason for the crap performance.

Graham L
12-01-2006, 05:49 PM
An .ISO version of memtest86 can be downloaded to make a CD from.

When cache was made up of plug in chips on the motherboard for 486 processors, some enterprising people had [b]special[/] low cost cache chips manufactured. They had nice black plastic bodies, and nice shiny legs. But they left the silicon part out. :( It made a big difference to the performance.

Some importers had to replace quite a few motherboards in NZ and Australia. It was a deliberate action of the motherboard manufacturers ... the BIOS was "adjusted" so that the cache appeared to be there, and that it could be enabled and disabled.

Battleneter
12-01-2006, 06:18 PM
An .ISO version of memtest86 can be downloaded to make a CD from.

When cache was made up of plug in chips on the motherboard for 486 processors, some enterprising people had [b]special[/] low cost cache chips manufactured. They had nice black plastic bodies, and nice shiny legs. But they left the silicon part out. :( It made a big difference to the performance.

Some importers had to replace quite a few motherboards in NZ and Australia. It was a deliberate action of the motherboard manufacturers ... the BIOS was "adjusted" so that the cache appeared to be there, and that it could be enabled and disabled.

Yes I remember this well, however what was never reported in the Media was....

IBM processors (Cyrix) of the day came with onboard Writeback L2 cache(unlike Intel) that actually had lower performance if forced to use the motherboard L2 cache (actually similar design to what we have now)

Many 486 early boards would not function properly without cache installed or place holders (cache looking chips that when installed jump the PCB gaps when installed" in the place of L2 cache (all perfectly fine).

So originally there was a valid good reason for WB motherboards, as they were cheaper to produce(no expensive cache) and benefited Cyrix/IBM processors specifically.

Of course then as you pointed out some manufactures started adjusting bioses and writing on place holders and selling them as L2 cache boards (way wrong agreed)

But as usual the media sensationalised it and failed to report a fair balance story (big surpirse) making it sound like all write back boards were "Evil" which of course was not correct, so the extent of the problem was blown out of perportion. Makes me laugh now as we are all using write back cache motherboards now technically.