PDA

View Full Version : Install ME after Linux

sarum
11-01-2006, 09:17 PM
Hi, I want to put WindowsME on a machine currently running Ubuntu4.10. Can anyone tell me please how this should be done. I've an ME startup floppy and I intend to format and then Fdisk the drive into a couple of partitions, before installing ME.
I'm putting Ubuntu5.10 on the ME machine(which is bigger & faster; so swapping hard drives is not an option). This should be easy as the live CD cleans up and installs itself, unless in custom mode.
Can anyone help please - and thanks in advance - Sarum.

bob_doe_nz
11-01-2006, 11:23 PM
lemme double check...

Format hdd and remove Ubuntu v4
Install ME
Install Ubuntu v5

That should work, make sure you clean the Master Boot record first before installing ME.

First thing is to boot into ME bootdisk and run FDISK /MBR This will clear the master boot record of the Linux bootloader.

Second thing would be to partition the HDD. This should not be too difficult. just run FDISK without any commands.
Once all the partitions are created they MUST be formatted before they can be used.

Once ALL the partitions are ready, installing ME would be the next step.

After that Linux should be installed.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, sinceI'm a little sleepy now

sarum
12-01-2006, 08:53 AM
Thanks Bob-Doe for your late night reply. My problem seems to boil down to the fact that I'm unable to boot the Linux machine with the WindowsME floppy startup disc. Do I need to alter the BIOS settings - as with the ME machine I press del on startup and alter the 1st boot choice. What would happen if (as root) I typed 'rm -rf /' would that give me a clean hd and would it respond, on starup, to my floppy disc?
I look forward to hearing from you - thanks again, Sarum.

Graham L
12-01-2006, 05:25 PM
You should be able to change the BIOS boot option so it goes to floppy first.

When you FDISK just make a partition for the ME OS. Just leave the rest unallocated. Then install Windows.

Then do the Linux installation. It will find the unallocated space, and ask you for permission to use it. It will then partition that space the way it wants it. It will know better than you, at this stage. :D It's usually best to let an OS make its own partitions.

rm -rf is a Unix joke. ;) It will destroy an OS installation. Unforunately, it won't change the boot sector. The computer will then be trying to boot a destroyed OS. That doesn't work very well at all. :cool:

sarum
12-01-2006, 09:02 PM
Graham and Bob thanks both for your replies. I'm away for a couple of days and I'll take this up again when I get back. I did get into the BIOS on the Linux comp:(press F2 on startup). I've no fears of installing Linux over windows - done it in dual boot a couple of times.
Hope to speak to you later; Sarum

sarum
16-01-2006, 08:35 PM
Many thanks to you both for good advice; it didn't take long to get to where I wanted. Thanks again Sarum