PDA

View Full Version : nv4_disp.dll

jroche.5127
11-01-2006, 08:06 PM
I got a problem with my display. I turn on my computer and I got no picture as in dead black screen. I don't think this is a monitor problem ( I just bought the pc a month ago when the problem occured). prior to this display thing I encountered a blue screen error indicating that nv4_disp.dll might be causing the problem..not digitally signed.. etc. everything is default in settings and I do not think that the softwares I just installed caused the problem too--no extraordinary software are installed. Infact the problem started when I run windows media player and set a full screen mode for the visualization. and then the series of bad events came to surface on my system. system freezes, monitor flickers etc... I tried running dxdiag and its pointing the nv4_disp.dll to be a possible cause of the problem.

PS: i am able to log on to windows and play music with windows media player just by using the keyboard. can this be a monitor problem? why am i able to log on to windows and play music? even if it is a problem with the video card will i be able to still log on?

here are my specs:
P4 HT support 800MHz
256mb memory
Inno3D Nvidia Geforce MX 4000

as usual, any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
11-01-2006, 08:15 PM
Uninstall the Nvidia drivers then delete its folder in C:\

Then reboot, then reinstall the Nvidia drivers again (81.98 I think are the latest drivers), if they support your videocard.

Drivers are here (http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_81.98.html)

This is if you're using Win 2000 / XP.

Get the released version not the beta.

kingdragonfly
12-01-2006, 10:41 AM
Can you see any POST messages, or is the screen always black?

"Driver not digitally signed" is only a security warning message, and be often safely ignored. It's a feature of XP SP2 / 2000 SP4.

DxDiag will also find video drivers that are not digitally signed.

Microsoft marketing propaganda: "For a driver to earn this certification, it must pass a series of compatibility tests administered by the Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL). Due to stringent WHQL standards, using signed drivers typically result in a more stable system."

Of course, we all know the quality of Microsoft's stringent standards. ;)

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prmb_tol_mgvx.asp

jroche.5127
12-01-2006, 09:20 PM
thanks for replying guys. prec8 8.

i dont want to say anything against "mcrsft" and their "ways" of doing busine$$.. (8$ $$$$$00000 $$cary.. ) and because im using their product. ya know the hassle.
when i initially installed everything from scratch it ran very smoothly until about a month after using it. i just dont really think that the problem is with the driver itself. it should have gone crazy just after i installed everything initially.. (CAUTION: the next line is a matter of a very personal opinion...)
I suspect this might be a "GHOST" inside xp that automatically hunts your system after a month.. kinda "were gonna bug YOU - as in ME- if they wont pay for it".

well, I will be trying out your suggestions ofcourse and I value your replies.
I'll keep in touch with you guys.
a message to KINGDRAGONFLY: no post message at all. screen is totally blank. but im able to log on to windows coz i hear the log on music in xp.
a message to SPEEDY GONZALES: im gonna try out the latest u suggested thans. :)

happy to hear from you soon!! thanks

Rob99
13-01-2006, 12:50 AM
Good luck uninstalling the drivers then deleting a folder in C: with no screen display :badpc:

Try a different monitor, or your monitor on a different computer.

You may have S-Video on the video card, you could try hooking it up to a TV to get a display while you sort the problem.

kingdragonfly
13-01-2006, 09:40 AM
Some PC's boot very quick, and the monitor "wake time" can be slow, however even with a bad driver, you should see the POST messages.

Try tapping the "del" / "esc" keys quickly while the PC boots to get into BIOS. At least this will verify your monitor.

I think your problem may be with the monitor or card.

jroche.5127
17-01-2006, 08:02 PM
I have S-video but it also did not work. Could this be a video card problem? If so, why am I able to log on to windows and play music? I'm suspecting that this is a possible video card problem because of that. But I just could not dismiss the possiblity of a monitor issue because I can blindly log on...

xynyx
22-01-2006, 09:26 AM
JROCHE,

here in Holland I have the same problem. Reading the Internet the bug is very nasty. if you solve it give me a e-mail plz
xynyx@freeler.nl
If i know more ill post it.

good luck!!

xynyx

Speedy Gonzales
22-01-2006, 09:32 AM
JROCHE,

here in Holland I have the same problem. Reading the Internet the bug is very nasty. if you solve it give me a e-mail plz
xynyx@freeler.nl
If i know more ill post it.

good luck!!

xynyx

Not a good idea posting your email address xy.

Unless u want spambots bombing u with spam.

It'll be better to check this post, to see if anyone has a solution later.

Speedy Gonzales
22-01-2006, 09:37 AM
I have S-video but it also did not work. Could this be a video card problem? If so, why am I able to log on to windows and play music? I'm suspecting that this is a possible video card problem because of that. But I just could not dismiss the possiblity of a monitor issue because I can blindly log on...

??? The S-video socket, has nothing to do with playing music, or logging into windows.

Its so u can connect the video output, (from the videocard), to something like a TV. Or something else that has a s-video connection.

In order for the s-video connection / output, to work properly, the videocard drivers have to be installed, and then you have to configure the videocard settings, once the drivers have been installed.

SOHO Services
22-01-2006, 10:24 AM
To resolve the POST display issue, enter the PC's BIOS. -- try switching it on, and tap the delete key about once a second until something appears.

In the BIOS look for a setting that says "Initialise Graphics Adaptor" or similar. - this may have options for PCI, AGP or PEG (PCI Express) depending upon your motherboard. - Changing to the other available option should get your boot screens back.

jroche.5127
22-01-2006, 10:16 PM
NP. :) but really not a good idea posting ur email add online.. :groan: :)

well, here comes nothing.. I just brought the pc back to where I purchased it and for sure the findings were video card problems (factory defect) , or so they -store tech support- would say, and it was replaced with a new video card. But here I am again on one of the net cafes trying to find out what to do, the problem is still the same. But at least I'm able to log on to SAFE MODE- I believe the problem really is the driver software. I'm gonna try to download the most updated driver version 81.98 and see if it works.

I'll make sure to post results after a few days of testing guys.

Thanks. :waughh:

dbs
23-01-2006, 01:49 AM
. opps. posted in error :(

xynyx
27-01-2006, 11:02 PM
I installed all the software again. With Driver Cleaner Pro deleted all the nvidia driver programs, installed 81.98 and the system is a little better. In the register i activated Coolbits "8".

Still got random lock-ups. sometimes everything is alright. Next time i start a game the system locks-up.

This really is a nvidia-driver problem. To me, not an expert on this issue, it seems the driver (or something else) is not properly reset after ending a program/game. Is that possible?? Why else the ramdom lock-ups.

I played Fear with no problem during a month. After that is no longer possible to play it in SLI mode. Only in single card set-up.

AMD X2 4400 / 2GB ram / A8N32SLI / 2x XFX 7800GTX256 / XFI ELITE PRO / tagan 530watt

jroche.5127
01-02-2006, 10:21 PM
I've reformatted my computer several times to no avail. At least about a week I'm able to use my pc and then gets back to the original problem. This time when you open up windows media player that shows the visualization on its screen, monitor seems to black out and freezes after it gets back in a second and then goes off again this time for good... until you reboot your unit again. everything in my settings is fine since it is a fresh install of winxp, refresh rate is 60Hz and does not show any other option unless you force to have the unsopported settings shown in the combo box.
I'm afraid to use it again because it might get to the original problem ( i dont want to have my video card replaced again since that would be my 3rd replacement since i bought the computer less than a month ago.)
Everytime I get this problem, im thinking, it damages my video card.

Hopeless guy. :groan: :waughh: :help: :badpc:

FrankS
02-02-2006, 03:23 PM
Have you looked at
81.98_ForceWare_Display_Property_User_Guide.pdf 10.1Mb
81.98_ForceWare_nView_User_Guide.pdf 8.54Mb

Whilst installing 81.98 came across following.

Driver Installation Hints

* "Download Accelerator" utilities should be disabled when downloading any drivers.

* Do not run virus protection software in the background while installing the drivers. This prevents the driver from configuring itself properly.

* Before installing new drivers make sure you uninstall all NVIDIA display drivers from the Windows Control Panel. Browse to the Start Menu > Windows Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and search for "NVIDIA Windows Display Drivers" or "NVIDIA Display Drivers" and select remove.

Presume you have right clicked Desktop | cl NVidia Display |cl your monitor | check tick is against "Hide Monitor settings that this monitor cannot support"
When I first installed 81.98 I got half a screen which I cured by adjusting the NVidia Display settings.

GhstBer
03-02-2006, 03:48 AM
I am having a somewhat similiar problem and thought I would ask about it on here.

I just upgraded my system and it has the following specs:

eVGA mobo (133-K8-NF41)
AMD Athlon64 X2 3800+ (Socket 939)
eVGA nVidia GeForce 7800GT 256mb PCI-E video card
2GB DDR Corsair ValueSelect Ram (2x1gb)
Western Digital 250gb SATA drive
80gb Western Digital EIDE drive
Gen. Floppy
Gen. DVD+-RW
Gen. DVD-Rom

My power supply is, I believe, a 450w, and I have been running this system fine for about half a month (I too, played F.E.A.R. on this with no problems). I had noticed, in the past, the occasional monitor flicker, like it was changing resolutions, but thought nothing of this. Today, I was having no problems, and was playing World of Warcraft. Suddenly, the screen flickered once, then again, then displayed the BSOD nv4_disp.dll error, then shut off. I attempted to restart the machine, and there is no video, no POST, nothing. I unplugged my USB devices (previously, the machine had problems starting up with all 4 USB devices I have [PDA, Printer, Camera & Mouse] plugged in, but would do just fine with just the mouse.), but this does not help. I reseated the video card, did not help. I pulled the memory to see if the machine would complain, and it's not making a single noise. All fans come on fine, but there is nothing else going on. My keyboard isn't receiving power even.

All of this makes me think (hope) this is a power problem. I am going to go and get a 600w PSU at least, and a UPS system (the power here is notoriously bad, I've had to replace two PSU's on my last setup) to condition the power.

My question is, what does this sound like to everyone here?