PDA

View Full Version : networking windows 98

Eric
11-01-2006, 03:27 PM
I just went to network my computers after doing a windows 98 reinstall some months ago,

after finding network.txt on my computer, a text copy from pressF1 faq some kind member here wrote. (not sure were it is now I could not find it a few moments ago)

Just some notes:
At first I had trouble getting to see the "local" computer (in the one I was fixing) in the "Network Neighborhood" folder from the icon on the desktop, all it showed was "Entire Network" (not sure what I did to fix that)

Then I found that to see the other computer I had to install NetBEUI (Protocol), as the other computer already had it,
I did not install IPX/SPX.

but found I could not do a "ping 192168.0.2"
it came up with bad command or file name

Speedy Gonzales
11-01-2006, 03:33 PM
but found I could not do a "ping 192168.0.2"

It should be ping 192.168.0.2 if what you typed isnt a typo.

Leave the "s out.

drcspy
11-01-2006, 03:40 PM
you didnt mention that both pcs are win98 ?.........anyway...if one is xp you'd hav to install netbuei also as it's not installed by default......

kingdragonfly
11-01-2006, 03:55 PM
"Bad command or filename" means the PC can't find ping.exe, otherwise you'd get "could not find host."

Ping.exe is in the "C:\WINDOWS\system32" directory typically.

try "CD C:\WINDOWS\system32" then the ping

It's probably your PATH environment variable messed up. I can't remember where you fix this in Win98.

kingdragonfly
11-01-2006, 04:01 PM
if one is xp you'd hav to install netbuei also as it's not installed by default......

I don't believe a PC running netbuei only would respond to a ping, because it's a different protocol.

Typically I'd install TCP/IP on all PC's, to get Internet connectivity.

drcspy
11-01-2006, 05:40 PM
yep tcp/ip for internet but for networkign 98 one of the easiest protocols is netbuei....so it'd have to be installed on both machines

Eric
12-01-2006, 06:56 AM
but found I could not do a "ping 192.168.0.2"

Speedy Gonzales
Sorry for the typo-error.
As for the quote marks, the instructions from pressf1 web site was ......... oh bugger, I am sure yesterday it read the reverse. it has been a few years since I last did it

Both computer are windows 98se.

The reason I think the text came from pressF1 web site it says ...... If not, then you may have to post a specific question to the PressF1 site.