PDA

View Full Version : Notebook screens - Not as good as CRT?

ssssss
11-01-2006, 11:17 AM
Uptill now I have always used CRT monitors, (the latest a 4 year old Philips monitor) and have been very pleased with the quality of the images I get on it.
However I was thinking of buying a notebook computer, and on looking at them I find the quality of images on the screen is far inferior to my old Philips. Even if one pays upto $1800 for one.
Am I right in this, or is my imagination playing me tricks?

Rob99
11-01-2006, 11:20 AM
Am I right in this, or is my imagination playing me tricks?The display will be different, something to get use to. Are you sure the notebooks display settings were correct?

ssssss
11-01-2006, 11:29 AM
Hi Rob99,
I like your quote!
I have looked at a number of laptops set up in shops, but I do find the displays not very pleasing. Not the same richness of colour.

Prescott
11-01-2006, 11:40 AM
I love the laptop screen! :p

ssssss
11-01-2006, 11:46 AM
I love the laptop screen! :p
How much did you pay for yours?

maccrazy
11-01-2006, 12:06 PM
I've used LCD monitors for the last five years (15-inch, 15.2-inch widescreen and 20-inch widescreen) and they are much nicer to look at than old CRT monitors. The thing you have to remember is that LCD screens should be run at their native resolution. For example, my 20-inch monitor should be run at 1680 x 1050. If you try and run it at a lower resolution (not that you would want to) then things will look a bit blurry - someone may have been playing around with the settings on the laptops you were looking at?

Edit: Looking back at my old monitors, they do look a bit blurry compared with my 20-inch, but that is due to resolution rather than them being poor quality displays. As long as you don't buy a super cheap LCD from The Warehouse you should be fine though. :p (look for a display with a resolution of 1280 x 864 or more from a reputable manufacturer - if colour accuracy is important to you, make sure you calibrate it when you get it)

Prescott
11-01-2006, 12:07 PM
I got a Toshiba M50, with 1GB of ram, $2000

bartsdadhomer
11-01-2006, 12:33 PM
By "images" if you mean photos CRT are still the way to go
The majority of graphic designers and photographers still use CRT as the clarity and pinpoint accuracy is better
LCD's are a wee way off yet, but should be close by the end of this year at a reasonable cost
But it's doubtful they will ever be as good as a CRT for image manipulation

pixeldust
11-01-2006, 12:43 PM
Some notebooks now have WXGA screens with super bright technology, which was most of the reason why I bought a Toshiba A70 when I was looking at notebooks last year. The screen is glossy and absolutely stunning. I watched a high-def movie preview on it last week and it blew me away.

Have a look in Noel Leemings if you have a chance, they usually have Toshibas on display and you can have a look and get a feel for them. I wouldn't recommend the A70 itself (there are some known MOBO issues with that model, which is why mine is away being replaced!) but the newer models are OK as far as I've heard. I think Samsung also do a super bright WXGA model.

Personally, I would never bother to attach a monitor to my notebook, because as far as I know, there is no monitor which would compare to the screen it already has.

Greg
11-01-2006, 12:51 PM
By "images" if you mean photos CRT are still the way to go
And... gaming graphics are a lot better too on CRT's, especially when you need absolute precision in online Real Time Strategy games, eg using a sniper rifle.

Graham L
11-01-2006, 01:04 PM
They are different. If you had ever carried a "transportable" computer with a CRT screen, you would know that a laptop's screen is much better. Especially when it's turned off. :D

If you must have a portable computer and the choice is between a LCD/TFT/etc and no screen, you'll get used to it.

ssssss
12-01-2006, 12:04 PM
Thanks everybody for the interesting replies