PDA

View Full Version : Graphics Card/Monitor problem

Miami Steve
10-01-2006, 01:34 PM
Around 15-20% of the time, when I start up my PC, the screen will freeze during boot up (during POST, during Windows start, anywhere) but the machine will continue to boot. The first time it happened, I discovered (quite by accident as it had frozen on a black screen) that if I cycled the monitor input from DVI to HD15 and back to DVI, the screen would be fine. On one occasion it froze partway through POST, displaying a partial screen. Again, cycling the video input on the monitor resolved the issue.

Does this sound like a hardware issue? Monitor/graphics card? Or is it likely to be a driver issue?

The specs are:

P4 2.8
Win XP Pro SP2 (all updates)
NVidia FX5900 (sorry can't remember driver version offhand).
Sony SDMX72 17" LCD monitor connected via DVI.

Note : I completely reloaded the PC from scratch (format and load from original CD's) in mid December and this issue has only arisen since then. :badpc:

Speedy Gonzales
10-01-2006, 01:40 PM
Did u install the chipset drivers etc, after u reinstalled XP??

And then install the Nvidia drivers / soundcard / LAN drivers etc?

Miami Steve
10-01-2006, 01:46 PM
I loaded XP, applied SP2, patched it all up to date, then loaded LAN, sound drivers etc from the Mobo driver CD. I then loaded the latest NVidia drivers from the PC World disc. When I booted up with those drivers, every 3rd or 4th time the screen would be unreadable (like the frequency was all wrong) so I uninstalled them (via Add/Remove programs) and installed the drivers from the Leadtek CD (the CD that came with the card). I then used WinFox2 to update the drivers from the Leadtek site.

kingdragonfly
10-01-2006, 01:51 PM
I'd guess if it froze partway through POST displaying a partial screen, it points to a hardware problem with the card, and not with Windows itself.

However since the problem didn't occur till you reinstalled Windows, it would point toward a Windows problem. My thought is that this might be one of those maddening coincidences, and that it is indeed a hardware problem.

Speedy Gonzales
10-01-2006, 01:58 PM
The mobo cd should have inf drivers (chipset drivers) as well.

Whats the motherboard?

These should be installed too. Preferably AFTER XP has been installed.

It doesnt look like these have been installed.

On some mobos (I think like the mobo here), the chipset drivers pick up the USB devices / devices in the system.

I would get the latest drivers from the Nvidia site (81.98 I think), if this version supports your videocard, uninstall the drivers you have, delete its folder.

Reboot, then reinstall 81.98 (or whatever the latest version is now - the release not the beta version), of the videocard drivers.

Miami Steve
10-01-2006, 01:59 PM
I'd guess if it froze partway through POST displaying a partial screen, it points to a hardware problem with the card, and not with Windows itself.

So far (and it's almost a month now) it has NOT frozen at any time other than startup! A hardware problem I would expect to manifest itself at any stage. Or is that just wishful thinking on my part? However, for it to have frozen during POST would definitely point to hardware, as you imply, as it hasn't loaded drivers yet.

Miami Steve
10-01-2006, 02:01 PM
The mobo cd should have inf drivers (chipset drivers) as well.

Whats the motherboard?

Mobo is Asus P4P800 Deluxe.

I loaded all the relevant chipset drivers at the time (first CD I used after SP 2 installed).

Speedy Gonzales
10-01-2006, 02:13 PM
Mobo is Asus P4P800 Deluxe.

I loaded all the relevant chipset drivers at the time (first CD I used after SP 2 installed).

Hmm ok, I'm using the same mobo but not the deluxe.

I'm most probably using the same mobo cd as you. On the odd occasion, this screen comes up black too (altho it shows the XP logo, and it's loading XP), it stays black. I have to reboot to fix it. I dont think mine freezes tho.

I think my prob is USB somewhere ( or the USB hub - the mouse is plugged into the hub, not the case).

I can usually tell when this isnt going to boot into XP.

As the optical mouse (USB)'s light doesnt come on.

BUT, I dont think having the onboard 8 USB ports and the 7 port USB hub helps :lol: