PDA

View Full Version : Dual Install

JJJJJ
08-01-2006, 09:00 PM
I have a program installed on D: Everything else is on C:
The program on D: has it's config file on C: where it insists on putting it.

What I want to know is can I install the same program on C: ? Without removing it from D: . In other words I want to do some experimenting without running the risk of corrupting D:
The second copy would allow me to play around without stuffing up the first copy.

Would both copies share the same config file?

Miami Steve
09-01-2006, 11:02 AM
My only concern here would be registry entries (if any) - would either be duplicated/overwritten. You don't say what the program is - as it has a config file, perhaps it doesn't use the registry.

In short, proceed with caution. :2cents:

JJJJJ
09-01-2006, 11:19 AM
My only concern here would be registry entries (if any) - would either be duplicated/overwritten. You don't say what the program is - as it has a config file, perhaps it doesn't use the registry.

In short, proceed with caution. :2cents:

I had a try this morning, "proceeding with caution". Didn't get very far. The first disk only gave me the option of uninstalling the copy on D:. No way would it even try to install itself on C: I even chifted the config file to D:. It was not recognised and program just wrote another config on C:.

The program is MS Flight Simulater 04.

Miami Steve
09-01-2006, 11:31 AM
It sounds like it is clever enough to check if it is already installed when you put in the disc. Looks like you're out of luck.

kingdragonfly
09-01-2006, 01:45 PM
I suspect the "config file" you're referring to is the registry. There's only one (ignoring dual boot systems).

If you want to experiment, I'd suggest some form of disk duplication, like Symantec Ghost.

A "virtualized" PC is also great for experiments, but not so great with games.

JJJJJ
09-01-2006, 04:38 PM
I suspect the "config file" you're referring to is the registry. There's only one (ignoring dual boot systems).

If you want to experiment, I'd suggest some form of disk duplication, like Symantec Ghost.

A "virtualized" PC is also great for experiments, but not so great with games.

No not registry. "fs9.cfg" It lives in Aplication data file.

Jester
09-01-2006, 06:08 PM
I have a few fs9.cfgs in my C:\Documents and Settings\Me\Application Data\Microsoft\FS9 folder, all named differently like fs9.cfg / .bak1 / .bak2 / .txt / .thisonesgood and so on.

I like to mess about with my cfg (with sometimes quite unexpected results!), however you may like to look on AVSim for the Multiple FS9 Exe Tool (http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=multiple_fs9.exe__no_tool.zi p&CatID=root&Go=Search).

This allows, on your desktop several FS9 icons, each one is loading FS with its specific config.