PDA

View Full Version : windows xp does not see hard drive after format?

stone2
08-01-2006, 03:02 PM
Hi,
Here's my problem,
A friend of mine had his 200gig sata hard drive in two partitions and when he tried to repartition it using Partitiion magic it froze and so he had to do a hard boot. After that windows xp home sp1 would no longer see his drive so he gave it to me and I reformatted with NTFS and reloaded all the data he lost (i had a copy). I Had his drive connected to my computer through USB (external hard drive case). All went well and I gave it back to him.
After connecting it back to his computer directly to his sata port the hard drive is nowhere to be found although he say's it shows up under disk defragmenter.
Any help would be great.

p.s. I think he said he can see the drive and all the files under diskmanager.

Speedy Gonzales
08-01-2006, 03:09 PM
If it can boot into XP on his OK, (it sounds like it does, since he can see it in disk defragmenter), and you cant see the other partition (if this is what you mean), go back to disk management.

Highlight the partition that doesn't appear in My computer / right mouse / initialise it / format it.

stone2
08-01-2006, 03:18 PM
It's all one partition now after I reformatted it for him, so if he reformats it he'll lose evrything again.

Boy your name say's it all...thanks :)

Speedy Gonzales
08-01-2006, 03:31 PM
Hmm ok.

When u say, you copied data from yours to his, what kind of data are we talking about?

Files you downloaded? Programs that were already installed? (on your PC).

And if you installed XP on his hdd, from your computer, wouldnt it have all your hardware info on it?

And when u did it, was it a clean install? Or did you just copy your entire hdd to his??

stone2
08-01-2006, 03:42 PM
Sorry I should have said that he has two hard drives and the one I'm talking about is just used for data. Windows is installed on his other drive.

Speedy Gonzales
08-01-2006, 03:59 PM
Ah ok then. Thats different.

Well, if his XP is running fine, and he can boot into XP, just put the hdd you have, back in his system.

And go to disk management, and format it. That should work. Then XP SHOULD see both hdd's.

He's not using SATA RAID / enabled RAID in the BIOS, for these 2 SATA's (if both are SATA'S), is he?

There's not much else u can do, but to format that hdd u have, if XP cant see all of it. Even if there's data on it right now.

Unless u go back into disk management, and change / give it a drive letter?

Then XP may see it.

stone2
08-01-2006, 04:05 PM
He is not running both disks in Raid as his other disk with windows on it is parallel. If he reformats the problem disk then we are back to square one as I will have to reload all the data back on to it using my external usb case as I can't connect his drive directly to my mobo as all my ports are in use and the data he needs is spread over all of my drives.

Speedy Gonzales
08-01-2006, 04:11 PM
The hdd u have, it is getting recognised in the BIOS isn't it?

And it appears on the post screen?

I would go into disk management and see if giving it a drive letter will work.

Also with SATA, the header on the mob is data only, not power.

Did someone connect the power to a spare molex connection, from the power supply?

stone2
08-01-2006, 04:52 PM
I will have to check with my friend about the bios and the power, I think we have gone as far as we can until I see him again. I really appreciate all your help and will let you know how it turns out.
Cheers

lightfoot
09-01-2006, 09:13 AM
Try gave it a different drive letter if you can see it under disk managment.