PDA

View Full Version : Where do you buy Acronis True Image 9?

Billy T
05-01-2006, 11:49 AM
Hi Team

I am a long-time Norton Ghost user, but I was intrigued by the report on True Image in the Dec/Jan PCW and decided to try it. However, the only source I have found so far is the downloadable version from the US, but I would much prefer a shrink-wrapped copy purchased locally. From the way they market their CD backup disc it sounds like you can't make your own CD from the download either, though that may just be creative marketing hype.

Unfortunately the review did not include local (or any) supplier details, and Google was most unhelpful, so can anybody help out with a shop source?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

bartsdadhomer
05-01-2006, 12:01 PM
one of the worst designed sites i've ever seen but they appear to have it
http://www.softsol.co.nz/contents.htm
another one
http://www.educcomp.co.nz/index.html

Prescott
05-01-2006, 12:08 PM
Let us know how you get on with Acronis, because its about time i get some decent imaging software too. A nice little user write up would be great :thumbs:

Billy T
05-01-2006, 12:45 PM
one of the worst designed sites i've ever seen but they appear to have it
http://www.softsol.co.nz/contents.htm
another one
http://www.educcomp.co.nz/index.html

Neither site has it, the first will sell you a "key", and the second takes you direct back to the Acronis site in the US.

This is what makes it all so frustrating.

I don't mind buying via download, but I want to be able to produce a program CD for future use and the wording on the Acronis site rings alarm bells.

Maybe PCW can tell us where they got it from, their review has local pricing of $100 incl GST.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Rob99
05-01-2006, 12:46 PM
dse

bartsdadhomer
05-01-2006, 12:50 PM
http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.filereader?43bc5f1e00a6e4e42741c0a87f990729+EN/catalogs/CTG0000100

earlier version but suppose they can get the newer ones
also
http://www.gumboot.co.nz/product.asp?p=18&i=12525

Safari
05-01-2006, 12:56 PM
Anything else you would like found BT
You don't seem very good at research.

heaton
05-01-2006, 01:11 PM
Some time ago now I purchased an external hard drive from Harvey Norman and the Acronis Software disc came with the package.
You could enquire there iif they sell the so0ftware on its own.
Cheers.

Billy T
05-01-2006, 01:20 PM
http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.filereader?43bc5f1e00a6e4e42741c0a87f990729+EN/catalogs/CTG0000100earlier version but suppose they can get the newer ones

I found that one but yes, it is V8.0. They may have V 9.0 but they are usually good at updating their website. I'll give them a call anyway and see if they are getting it in.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Billy T
05-01-2006, 01:25 PM
Anything else you would like found BT
You don't seem very good at research.

I can research all right Safari, I just haven't found a retail (or trade) outlet in NZ selling V9.0 in a box.

Please demonstrate your boundless skills and find one for me. Do make sure that it is a genuine sales outlet for V9.0 though, or somebody might justifiably criticise your research ability.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :p

Metla
05-01-2006, 01:56 PM
My software sources only have it listed as a non-media item, Though seeing as they have endless supplies of version 8 on cd I would imagine that given time to filter onto our market we will soon see the full retail package.

Billy T
05-01-2006, 02:13 PM
Bang-on Metla

I have spoken to DSE's software buyer and it is just coming up on their "event horizon". Expect to see the retail boxed CD available within 2-3 months, if not sooner because once a nation-wide chain places an order there should be stocks for all resellers.

In the meantime, I either download, or wait.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Safari
05-01-2006, 02:46 PM
If you ordered it from Amazon it will be cheaper at $37 US and you will have it in less then 10 days.

pctek
05-01-2006, 04:00 PM
http://www.acronis.com/

Obviously.

Billy T
05-01-2006, 05:29 PM
http://www.acronis.com/

Obviously.
Exactly what part of

However, the only source I have found so far is the downloadable version from the US, but I would much prefer a shrink-wrapped copy purchased locally. From the way they market their CD backup disc it sounds like you can't make your own CD from the download either, though that may just be creative marketing hype. didn't you understand pct? Availability from the US is a no-brainer. :illogical

Do you have anything useful to add to my query, or are you just having a slow day at the office?

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :rolleyes:

Prescott
05-01-2006, 06:17 PM
You can buy a boxed version of acronis true image at their website for US$97.44, that includes $30 something dollars worth of shipping....

pctek
05-01-2006, 07:07 PM
Exactly what part of
didn't you understand pct? Availability from the US is a no-brainer. :illogical

Do you have anything useful to add to my query, or are you just having a slow day at the office?

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :rolleyes:
Two of my customers have bought it exactly this way. Whats the problem with it?
They certainly do have the thing stored on CD - no idea if that is a bootable CD like you probably mean but so what? Its installable and works just fine.
And there is no need for your smartass tone.

Billy T
05-01-2006, 09:53 PM
Two of my customers have bought it exactly this way. Whats the problem with it?
They certainly do have the thing stored on CD - no idea if that is a bootable CD like you probably mean but so what? Its installable and works just fine.

I am well aware that I can store a download on CD, that is a given, but there is some doubt as to the ability to create a bootable CD and I was hoping that somebody with recent experience of True Image 9 might be able to clarify that.

The heart of an effective drive imaging system is a bootable CD (or DVD or Floppy). If you can't boot to Windows or a DOS prompt, then a bootable disc is probably the only way to recover from a major meltdown, or to image to a new HDD for that matter.

I was explicit in my requirements, and my reasons for not buying on line because of my reservations about the apparent caveat in the advertisment on the Acronis site.

Your post added nothing to my request or the thread, and intentional or not, a single word post: "obviously" suggested that only you were smart enough to think of going to the Acronis site for a download. I had covered all those bases thoroughly before posting.

I apologise if I hurt your feelings, but when you lead with your chin like that you can expect a whack. Maybe you didn't bother to read the prior posts, but that's not my problem.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Neil McC
06-01-2006, 08:34 AM
Billy, I've been using version 8 for a while now and was going to buy 9 when all (well most of) their troubles had been sorted. Once you've installed the program you then have the option of burning a bootable cd, which I've used a few times now on my old pc. Very handy !!
Looks like the problems they've been having are gradually being sorted, looking on the forum website anyhow.
http://wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65
Must add, I have no qualms about downloading the program, as they keep updating it anyhow.

Misty
12-03-2006, 10:05 AM
I have spoken to DSE's software buyer and it is just coming up on their "event horizon". Expect to see the retail boxed CD available within 2-3 months, if not sooner because once a nation-wide chain places an order there should be stocks for all resellers.

In the meantime, I either download, or wait.
Billy 8-{)

Hi Billy
How did you get on in the end ?

The 2-3 months you mentioned is somewhat now or a few weeks. On searching Amazon I see that they have a boxed version which they will ship out for UKsterling 23.97. This translates to NZ$64.40. Free shipping is only within UK so you would have to pay shipping costs which should not be too much.

Be interested in knowing where things are at !
cheers
Misty :cool:

Billy T
12-03-2006, 11:35 AM
Hi Misty

I haven't done anything more about it at present, I was waiting to see if DSE got the boxed version in. I'll check their website and see if it is available yet.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Edit: Yes, DSE now stock it at $100 incl gst. It is OOS in some stores at present but new stocks were expected mid-March

Misty
12-03-2006, 11:50 AM
Hi Misty

Billy 8-{)
Edit: Yes, DSE now stock it at $100 incl gst. It is OOS in some stores at present but new stocks were expected mid-March

I am just rung Harvey Norman and they can get it in for $99, which is much the same. Have you reservations about going to Amazon ?
Misty :rolleyes:

Billy T
12-03-2006, 12:15 PM
From my previous research, a boxed copy from Amazon costs a lot more than the local price from DSE/HN so that's a no-brainer.

Downloading the software and buying the key is not my preferred method either, for reasons explained earlier in this thread, so I'll be going the DSE/Harvey Norman route. It is just under $98 at DSE with a Trade card and just under $100 without, I rounded it up to $100 for convenience.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

bonzo29
12-03-2006, 01:34 PM
"It is just under $98 at DSE with a Trade card and just under $100 without, I rounded it up to $100 for convenience."

Billy, Do you mean $98 with a Trade card?

You can get it for $89.98 with a VIP card and I mean V9

Misty
14-07-2006, 08:18 PM
Today I bought Acronis True Image v9 from DSE for $99. Will let you know how I get on with it ! (still have to buy external enclosure and hard drive but expecting to do that tomorrow).
Misty :D

chiefnz
15-07-2006, 08:11 AM
I have Acronis True Image 9, it works very well... much better than Norton Ghost. Billy in answer to your query... yes the software does have the ability to make bootable recovery media which includes floppy disks, CD-R, CD/RW and even zip and other card media (provided you can set your PC to boot from them of course.) This will allow you to restore your computer to a previous state... assuming of course you have made a backup of the data.

Personally I love the clone disk feature. I Have a 40GB drive that has a copy of my freshly installed system... Windows XP, Office 2003 and all my other bits and pieces. Should anything go wrong, I just restore the image to my main drive, jump onto Windows Update and in less than 30 minutes I back up and running.

The application works great and has a wizard feature for everything it does, so there's no hunting around or any of that stuff. It is very much user friendly and definitely kicks Norton Ghost's butt in that department.

I downloaded my copy off the Acronis website and paid US$50.00 for it from memory. I understand if you have reservations about obtaining the downloaded version but rest assured there is nothing to worry about. The one thing I do suggest is that once you have it installed.. make a set of rescue disks straight away.

Hope that helps.

cheers

chiefnz

Twelvevolts
15-07-2006, 09:36 AM
I've seen it in DSE and Harvey Norman in the last week. I think the first version of 9 had a bug in it for a while which made the restores look like they were corrupt, but presumably this was fixed long ago.