PDA

View Full Version : Windows Product Activation

aidanmaz
04-01-2006, 02:25 PM
was given a Win XP Pro cd, boxed and stil wrapped up, never been opened before end of last year. i installed it on mi dads pc. i activated it over the net and everything was fine. i logged on today and it said "windows has 6 days remaining do you wish to activate?" if you click yes it says "windows has already been activated" what gives?

kingdragonfly
04-01-2006, 02:43 PM
I guess I'm getting jaded: From the title, I thought you were going to ask for a Windows XP crack.

As usual, back up important files first.

"When a computer running a disk image that was prepared with Sysprep is restarted, the activation timer is reset and the installation of Windows XP Professional is enabled with the full grace period for Windows Product Activation."

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prbc_cai_vnve.asp

paulw
04-01-2006, 03:11 PM
was given a Win XP Pro cd, boxed and stil wrapped up, never been opened before end of last year. i installed it on mi dads pc. i activated it over the net and everything was fine. i logged on today and it said "windows has 6 days remaining do you wish to activate?" if you click yes it says "windows has already been activated" what gives?

Hmm. Got just about the exact same thing this morning on a PC at work. When it started it said that the 30 days PC must be activated. When I clicked on the activation icon it said it was activated and click OK to continue and around it went. Same thing each time As this wasn't too important a machine I am currently re-installing XP again and will se what happens..

pixeldust
05-01-2006, 08:56 AM
Call Microsoft. They should be able to manually activate it over the phone.

aidanmaz
05-01-2006, 10:30 AM
so wit the sysprep thing.......
i have a 2003 server, are you saying that i cud use that to remove this damn activation message? i dont wanna do anything illegal but saying so i dont like the fact that i have to ring microsoft......i just scares me! the server is a PIII and mi dads pc is a compaq paesario, AMD 2800+ made maybe 2-3 years ago. it has a nvidia network built in so im unsure of the boot from a network with the PXE thingy. any ideas?

pixeldust
05-01-2006, 11:17 AM
If you want to get it done legitimately, then call Microsoft. As long as the product is legal (it IS, isn't it?) then you have nothing to worry about.

I'd really recommend this, especially taking advantage of this time of year when it is quieter than usual. I called Toshiba tech support the other day and it was answered in 2 rings (by a real person) - I'd be surprised if MS was much different at the moment. I dealt with them quite a lot (almost daily) for issues like this when I was reselling MS products a while ago, and they were always quite prompt.

kingdragonfly
05-01-2006, 12:22 PM
Calling Microsoft is probably the best bet, but I have never done it myself.

Sysprep doesn't eliminate activation.

You're supposed to use it on copies, such as made by disk duplicators, but it will work on the original. How do I know? 'Cause I've done it accidentally

It's part of the Windows XP resource kit, downloaded from Microsoft.

"Computers that run the Windows XP operating system use a security ID (SID) as a unique identifier. If you use disk-duplication software, you must ensure the uniqueness of these security IDs. When Windows XP is installed, a machine SID is configured to contain a statistically unique 96-bit number"

As a side effect, it also reset the registration process, but you can only do this four times to the same drive, without reinstalling Windows.

Microsoft policy is that sysprep is *not* used to bring a PC into compliance.

so wit the sysprep thing.......
i have a 2003 server, are you saying that i cud use that to remove this damn activation message? i dont wanna do anything illegal but saying so i dont like the fact that i have to ring microsoft......i just scares me! the server is a PIII and mi dads pc is a compaq paesario, AMD 2800+ made maybe 2-3 years ago. it has a nvidia network built in so im unsure of the boot from a network with the PXE thingy. any ideas?

aidanmaz
05-01-2006, 05:10 PM
of course its legit. mi server 2003 was a copy tho...from a tech.....better not moan to MS bout that one

Lateral Thinker
08-01-2006, 12:05 PM
I was just reading up about activation, it seems that Mr Gates regularly gets messages from a PC just checking if it is running legal software, but at this time, no way can Bill Gates back track to find pirated software, (he could do an automatic OS critical update enabling him to back track) recently Mr Gates disabled automatic activation of XP preinstalled as OEM software, more recently I think he has disabled XP updates if you have incorrect activation, to make up for that I heard he is offering free Cds with XP if you turn in the guy (or gal) who supplied you with the pirated XP.

Does anybody feel safe knowing that if we upset Bill Gates, he could (And would?) refuse us our activation codes? and what if I want to use XP in 10-years time?

I have OEM XP Home and Office 2003. Last year I added some cards, USB 2 and a TV tuner. I am shortly planning to reinstall all my software in order to get rid of a lot of junk.

Does anybody know where on my system I can find the activation codes for XP and Office? To back up and reuse after reinstalling my OS because I had a run around too last year after Bill Gates cut down on the OEM activation codes. (they got out and were being used) illegally.) I donít need the hassle of a run around again; my original OEM code on the OS restore partition is invalid because I put in extra cards.

My software is legal, and Bill Gates is too paranoid about pirates, but he does have a point when he thought of product activation.

pheonix
08-01-2006, 12:29 PM
You may find this article from "About" (http://netsecurity.about.com/od/windowsxp/qt/aaqtwinxp0829.htm) interesting to read. I have never tried it yet, but looks helpful.

Greg
08-01-2006, 12:49 PM
Does anybody know where on my system I can find the activation codes for XP and Office?I'm not certain if this will help, but when I run Belarc Advisor (a free utility) it pulls up two serial codes each for both XP and Office. The one is the installation key, and the second comes in the form of: 12345-123-1234567-12345. So I'm not sure if this is the activation serial or not, but might be worth a look. In Belarc it comes under the heading Software Licences

pctek
08-01-2006, 01:01 PM
I was just reading up about activation, it seems that Mr Gates regularly gets messages from a PC just checking if it is running legal software, but at this time, no way can Bill Gates back track to find pirated software, (he could do an automatic OS critical update enabling him to back track) recently Mr Gates disabled automatic activation of XP preinstalled as OEM software, .
What are you on about? Getting messages from a PC checking if its legal....
The only new thing is automatic updates - previously there was no check done of your product key - now there is and if its on the pirated list the updates are refused.

OEM XPs have always needed to be activated.
And its no big deal either. I've done it by the online method - a painless 1 second connect via broadband.
I've done it via the phone too - you don't speak to anyone - just type in your number and the automated voice reads you off theirs.

And thats on reinstalls too.
I can't see you'd really want to use it in 10 years time - that would be like using Win95a on a PC now. Why?

Greg
08-01-2006, 01:17 PM
I can't see you'd really want to use it in 10 years time Because it's the world's best operating system? :p

Pancake
08-01-2006, 01:26 PM
If you look in your System32 folder you will see a file called LegitCheckControl.dll.This is the one that lets you have (or not have)updates if you are genuine.Removing it wont help.It will only ask you to run the validation check again if you go to the update site.

Lateral Thinker
08-01-2006, 01:35 PM
What are you on about? Getting messages from a PC checking if its legal....
The only new thing is automatic updates - previously there was no check done of your product key - now there is and if its on the pirated list the updates are refused.

And its no big deal either. I've done it by the online method - a painless 1 second connect via broadband.
I've done it via the phone too - you don't speak to anyone - just type in your number and the automated voice reads you off theirs.

I can't see you'd really want to use it in 10 years time - that would be like using Win95a on a PC now. Why?

Not so much checking it is legal, but comparing its activation code with Bill Gates data base, (he stores the whole lot) and if it finds it is ilegal, it tells Bill Gates that, no names or id, just so Bill can increase his count by one, and i would say that his lawyers are looking into what happens if he one day decides to disable pirated copies, ie, could he be held responsble for losses of data, or lives? (I bet pirated XP is used in mission critical PCs everywhere.)

OEM XP preinstalled with Back-up (rather than a CD) on a HDD partition includes the activation code which does make it easier for newbies and is locked into the same HDD, you can not move it to another HDD, but a OEM supplied CD does not. I wont be buying this method again. Hank.

And since I am useing a OEM version, it is not as easy to activate as I have to provide info about my OEM version, usely I have a holgram sticker on the CPU box to identify and match with what MS suggests. (i have done PCs for others too)

Some people today use Win 3.1, I only go back as far as Win95a which has problems with USB, it really depends on what your interests are, pctek, why are you only interested in XP?

Lateral Thinker

Lateral Thinker
08-01-2006, 01:37 PM
You may find this article from "About" (http://netsecurity.about.com/od/windowsxp/qt/aaqtwinxp0829.htm) interesting to read. I have never tried it yet, but looks helpful.
thanks, just what I needed.

:) Lateral Thinker

Lateral Thinker
08-01-2006, 01:40 PM
Because it's the world's best operating system? :p

for now! :)

Greven
08-01-2006, 03:13 PM

clearly your activation experience was very different to mine. at the completion of my degree, I was given the computer I was working on along with the origional OEM pack that had never been touched.
I did a clean install of XP home (there is no way I'd use the compaq restore CD) using the serial on the case sticker, went to activate it online, and it failed - it didn't even tell me why it failed.
Since activating it online didn't work, I decided to activate it via phone. I input all the numbers, then waited. After 10 minutes silence (I'm not exagerating - I checked the time) it told me it couldn't activate it. Once again it didn't tell me why activation failed.

I ended up having to talk to someone with an accent that was really hard to understand. They gave me the activation code, but couldn't offer any explination as to why the automatic system didn't work.
They said that after the first time a copy of windows is activated, you can't use the automatic system, but my copy of XP had never been activated before & if it had, the automatic system would have gave me the error message "the product has already been activated".

Lateral Thinker
08-01-2006, 10:00 PM
clearly your activation experience was very different to mine. at the completion of my degree, I was given the computer I was working on along with the origional OEM pack that had never been touched.
I did a clean install of XP home (there is no way I'd use the compaq restore CD) using the serial on the case sticker, went to activate it online, and it failed - it didn't even tell me why it failed.

I just finished the whole deal, I did not even need to use the activation file that I had backed up, and to ensure XP did not activate without my knowledge, I had my router turned off, I used my SP1 CD then my PC World SP2 CD, then booted up the router, went to Windows update, and unlike last year when Bill Gates got tough on OEM reactivation, I had no run around at all, and I am updated as of this minute.

My PC is from HP, XP install files are on a partition with the activation code already there from when HP built the PC, I dont belive now that I had to reactivate at all after putting in the 2 new cards last year. I have had this PC for 3 years, and reinstalled twice a year, never once asked to activate, yet I begin with the origanal set up each time, all my files, settings and other software gone.

I wonder if HP fixed it so new activation codes are saved to the restore partition.

Anyway, the pain is over for another 6 months, I have a clean PC again, running flat out. You should have used the Compaq restore CD as it is supplied to make it easy for beginners, you would have had no trouble with activation.

Lateral thinker

Lateral Thinker
08-01-2006, 10:12 PM

Thanks, even though I did not need it in the end, your link still gave me some new information about XP and where to go next time for answers.

Lateral Thinker, (knocking off for the night.):confused:

Lateral Thinker
08-01-2006, 10:38 PM

Greven, the reason your OEM pack would not activate was becuase last year Microsoft blocked OEM packs from activating except via telephone, this was becuase OEMs bulk purschase liseneces along with one good copy of XP, then burn or press their own XP Cds, and Microsoft gives OEMs a standard, one kind for all activation code.

And somebody discovered that code, made it public enabling piracy of XP OEM disks. I dont recall the full story, but i got that from "Windows XP made easy" magazine last year.

You will likely have the same trouble in future with the OEM pack, while the Compaq restore CD would work better.

Lateral Thinker, back on line after he thought of an answer to Greven's question.:D

Rob99
08-01-2006, 10:55 PM
RockXP

pctek
09-01-2006, 07:36 AM
Greven, the reason your OEM pack would not activate was becuase last year Microsoft blocked OEM packs from activating except via telephone, this was becuase OEMs bulk purschase liseneces along with one good copy of XP, then burn or press their own XP Cds, and Microsoft gives OEMs a standard, one kind for all activation code.

And somebody discovered that code, made it public enabling piracy of XP OEM disks. I dont recall the full story, but i got that from "Windows XP made easy" magazine last year.

Shall we clarify? OEM as in a CD pack marked OEM, to be sold with a new PC as opposed to whatever "OEM" method the likes of Dell, Compaq etc use.

Because I buy and install OEM copies of Windows all the time for my customers new PCs - or upgrade PCs and I have never had any problem activating them.

Lateral Thinker
09-01-2006, 11:11 AM
Shall we clarify? OEM as in a CD pack marked OEM, to be sold with a new PC as opposed to whatever "OEM" method the likes of Dell, Compaq etc use.

Because I buy and install OEM copies of Windows all the time for my customers new PCs - or upgrade PCs and I have never had any problem activating them.

The OEM pack is the microsoft supplied CD withiout any documentation which should never be sold on its own, but only with a new PC.

The OEM restore system for all of a OEM's PCs come off one Microsoft suppiied master disk, and the OEM adds things like Norton and its own specials. Then the OEM creates a restore CD or partition.

I learnt this morning about the XP restore files, either on a HDD partition or supplied with a new PC. These files are locked to one particuar HDD, I am told a restore CD will only work on the HDD that it was sold with. My HP PC with restore files on a partition allowed me to make one! set of CD restore files, as a back up to the restore files on my HDD, it came with a warning that this set of CD would only work with my HDD from where I got them off.

I do not belive Bill Gates reqires reactivation at all after the OEM first set up my PC, becuase after first activation by the OEM, the restore files become tied to my HDD so any other hardware changes wont reqire reactivation.

the run around last year was becuase somebody found a way around the OEM OS locked to one particular HDD.

If my HDD expodes therefore, i have lost also my OS permanetly.

A friend brought a HP PC from Harvey Norman 3 years ago with a 5-year service contract. after 2 years her HDD failed permantly.

The servive contract replaced the HDD.

But her XP OS was not covered. And he self burnt restore CD would not work on her new HDD. There was legal action, but she choose to buy a new XP OS.

Dont good customers of Bill Gates get premier service? such as retailers of their software? And is it legal for you to use OEM packs on old PCs?

lateral Thinker

Rob99
09-01-2006, 11:30 AM
OEM XP is different to the OS bundled with a HP computer or similar.

OEM XP is no different to the normal version, apart from a fancy box, price, and you are surpose to purchase with computer components.

The OS that comes with big brand computers is still XP, but can content altered to suit the company. There are many versions of this, some are the normal windows disc with their lable on it while others have altered/added/removed content from the origional disc.

Lateral Thinker
09-01-2006, 11:57 AM
OEM XP is different to the OS bundled with a HP computer or similar.

OEM XP is no different to the normal version, apart from a fancy box, price, and you are surpose to purchase with computer components.

The OS that comes with big brand computers is still XP, but can content altered to suit the company. There are many versions of this, some are the normal windows disc with their lable on it while others have altered/added/removed content from the origional disc.

does XP Backup come with XP Home? if so that is one item removed, while HP put a lot of their digital imaging software on it.

While restoring, i had to uninstall Norton, (i use Xtra's Macffee) and old versions of 3rd party stuff.

The whiole idea of Bill Gates doing OEM versions is to get XP onto PCs so a OEM gets a really cheap no frills pack (But full XP) and Bill plans to make that up with his upgrade CDs.

As for Norton, i guess they would almost give it free to OEMs, becuase after 90 days, you start paying Norton, a lot of people would not shop around, but just click on Ok and enter their credfit card.

As for HP, i have set up a few PCs out of the box, when Windows desktop comes up, the first thing you see is Xtra saying click here for internet access. A friend did, and was on the hour rate as she edid not know better.

As this bit from Xtra has really no value, i guess Xtra pays to have it on new PCs.

And didnt Bill Gates get into trouble for bundling IE with Windows? and not allowing OEMs to install other browsers with Windows?

I think PCs are so compeively priced becuase of such arrangemets. almost like the free give away PCs in the States, the supllier gets paid from elsewhere.

My next PC will be a custom built, i will get XP seperate even if it costs more, the bigest HDDs I can, so i can LAN from my other PCs and use it as storeage. maybe dual boot with another OS but maybe Linex to use as server.

Lateral Thinker