PDA

View Full Version : Norton Ghost

Nomad
03-01-2006, 12:40 PM
Hi I have the old version. Just wondering about the modern versions. Do they, work inside windows or still in DOS? Do they work with external HDD?

Thanks.

bartsdadhomer
03-01-2006, 12:44 PM
Do they, work inside windows or still in DOS?

both, depending on your options

Do they work with external HDD?

if you mean will it backup to an external usb or firewire drive
yes

Nomad
03-01-2006, 01:21 PM
Let's say you wanna ghost C drive to D drive. Where C is the main drive for windows. Are you able to do this in windows xp?

If it isn't able to. Then you go to DOS, are you able to ghost to external usb or firewire HD in DOS as the destination?

bartsdadhomer
03-01-2006, 05:05 PM
with version 10, yes

Prescott
03-01-2006, 06:10 PM
Is there a better imaging program than norton ghost? or is norton ghost top of the line?

bob_doe_nz
03-01-2006, 06:38 PM
Well there WAS DriveImage by Powerquest which Symantec purchased.
And there is a company that makes a few hdd utilities and one of them was Drive imaging. But I cannot remember the darn diddly arn name of it.

Edit: Aha! Paragon Drive Backup (http://tucows.com/preview/222353)

bartsdadhomer
03-01-2006, 06:48 PM
Is there a better imaging program than norton ghost? or is norton ghost top of the line?
i've used ghost for years and it's always performed ok for me

some users seem to have problems, i've found it's one of those apps you really need to read the manual and the read me file for known issues and workarounds

i think i prefer ver 9 over 10 although 10 has better support for usb/firewire drives, it never worked too well in earlier versions

i've used acronis products and had mixed results

drive image was good but i haven't used it in a while

STi
03-01-2006, 06:50 PM
Acronis True image.

Nomad
03-01-2006, 06:56 PM
Great to hear. Ghost is now more user friendly :D
I use version 6.0, never failed for me and its v fast. During the win95/98 days a 30mins or 15min restore is all it needs, great when a darn little thing you just installed creates havoc and you can't find the solution, by the time you do find the solution, a reghost does it quicker.

Version 6 limits the files size to 2GB but I can create temporary small partitions to span the files out ... haha. Version 6.0 works with NTFS with no issues as long as not Ghosting disks but just partitions. Network deployment, er.. let's don't talk about that, that's way over my head. :)

I do a service pack when the main few softwares are up and running. But I do redownload the windows updates..... A bit too much hassle re ghosting I think. And the need to move off your personal files off the main drive so the ghost file won't be so huge.

Myth
03-01-2006, 07:08 PM
EDit: True Image already mentioned

I use ghost however, have even backed up my linux test machine, will wipe the install and see if the ghost worked :)
If so, sweeeet

ext2 and 3 filesystems btw

georgeks
03-01-2006, 07:21 PM
Hey, TAZZ, it's a long time ago I used software -it was DriveImage version 4 or something..- to backup Linux..Do you also backup the swap file? are there any issues when you boot again? I seem to recall that SuSe (was version 5.2 then..) sometimes crashed.

Oh, and for software: I really prefere Ghost 9..it restored my RAID without any problems, TrueImage-not the latest version- couldn't locate the system partition (SiliconImage RAID PCI controller) and gave Hal.dll errors.
PS: I live in the Netherlands, so allow me for some time to read any answers

Prescott
03-01-2006, 07:31 PM
ja, dat is prima dat je in nederland leef.:)

het slechtste ding dat kon gebeuren is uw partion niet in het installeren, ik bem bang van dit.

bartsdadhomer
03-01-2006, 07:43 PM
ja, dat is prima dat je in nederland leef.:)
het slechtste ding dat kon gebeuren is uw partion niet in het installeren, ik bem bang van dit.

that was....

sí, el está muy bien que usted vive en los Países Bajos
la cosa peor que no podría suceder es su partion en la instalación, El bem I asustó de esto

.....for those that were having problems

Myth
03-01-2006, 07:48 PM
Hey, TAZZ, it's a long time ago I used software -it was DriveImage version 4 or something..- to backup Linux..Do you also backup the swap file? are there any issues when you boot again? I seem to recall that SuSe (was version 5.2 then..) sometimes crashed.

Oh, and for software: I really prefere Ghost 9..it restored my RAID without any problems, TrueImage-not the latest version- couldn't locate the system partition (SiliconImage RAID PCI controller) and gave Hal.dll errors.
PS: I live in the Netherlands, so allow me for some time to read any answersI haven't really tried it out yet, have just ghosted the / and /boot partitions.
To ghost back to the drive is on my todo list in the next few days I hope