PDA

View Full Version : ADSL link/activity light

The_End_Of_Reality
01-01-2006, 08:42 PM
Hey Guys.

I have just had broadband installed here :D, well 2 or 3 weeks ago, and the ADSL link/activity light always flickers every half a second to 2 seconds, is this normal?

The modem is a D-Link DSL-302G (the Telecom one :groan: )

Oh and by the way that is when the puta is off :confused:

What's up with this and is it normal?

Thanks

Growly
01-01-2006, 08:56 PM
If it's only attached to one computer, it could just be broadcasts or probes. It may also be something the modem itself does, but I don't have one so I can't confirm. At any rate, it shouldn't bother you unless it becomes heavy traffic.

KatiMike
01-01-2006, 10:49 PM
The light here only blinks here when there is activity [ different modem tho]

Have you configured the firewall on the modem , and changed all the passwords from their defaults ?

Not bad practice to turn the modem/ router off when it's not needed , if that's easy to do

Mike

SurferJoe46
02-01-2006, 04:04 AM
There are four lights on my modem

USB.....ETHERNET......READY......POWER.

The only light that never lights up is the USB one. I use CAT5e and not the USB, so that's understandable. I did not opt for wireless as I am in a high-density neighborhood and don't want my connection to be commandeered anyone else.

At times, there is some activity on the modem even if the puter is turned off. This is just my ISP or may even be a drive-by hack attack. Since I have invoked the firewall in the router, any hackers just see what I let them see and they leave me alone.

I am not sure of all the protocols of NZ ISP's, but it seems ok to me to see that light flashing a lot; REMEMBER that you are never really "off-line" with DSL anyway.

The_End_Of_Reality
02-01-2006, 08:40 AM
It has only been doing this just recently, we did have a power cut but I don't think that would have done anything.

I'll just monitor the usage carefuly.

I am trying to change the password, but it says "501 Method Not Implemented"

I think I will turn it off, just pull the power out the back, very easy.

I can't find the firewall setting in the modem

Billy T
02-01-2006, 10:07 AM
IMHO there should be zero activity unless you or your computer need to access the net. My router (Nokia Ni500) has an adsl link led plus in & out activity lights. The adsl link remains stable at all times, as it should, and the activity lights are only on when I am uploading or downloading. The only other activity is my AV auto updating or mailwasher chacking my mail accounts.

Apart from being hidden behind a NAT router, I also have ZA enabled. I think you should check and see what that "traffic" is. I'd start by reading your modem manual to see what it says.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

SurferJoe46
02-01-2006, 11:42 AM
My ISP (just got off the phone with tech support about this) says it is a necessary activity. They are constantly "pinging" me to make sure that I am alive. With no head and no data limits, they just are constantly "there". They SAY it's not a problem...but it might be a problem if my lights STOP blinking...at least every once-in-a-while anyway.

I constantly see a twinkle about every 2 or 3 minutes at least when all is quiet and all three puters are off. Running a LAN behind a Linksys 4-port router with dynamic IP is enuff to secure the connection. The LAN is hardwired into the DSL modem (Westell WireSpeed). Even the Linksys Ethernet light blinks in synch with the modem. I DO NOT use a wireless connection at all.

All runs well..no hang-ups and it's been this way for over three years now. :cool:

Agent_24
02-01-2006, 12:15 PM
It has only been doing this just recently, we did have a power cut but I don't think that would have done anything.

I'll just monitor the usage carefuly.

I am trying to change the password, but it says "501 Method Not Implemented"

I think I will turn it off, just pull the power out the back, very easy.

I can't find the firewall setting in the modem

I have the same stupid d-link modem, but for me the only light that constantly flashes is the 'status' one. but I turn the modem off when the computer is off anyway.

If you are getting random errors when you try to change settings, make sure that all your firewalls, AV and such are OFF (pretty retarded allright) but firewalls will interfere with the modem and so does avast!'s web sheild.

If you are concerned about security(I am, with such a stupid modem) unplug from the phone line first then setup everything.

but from what i've come across on the internet, d-link make the crappiest firmware and modems anyway.

The_End_Of_Reality
02-01-2006, 02:34 PM
Thanks for all of your help, as a few of you have said turn the modem off, and I think thats what I will do. :)

Actually I might call or E-Mail Telecom and see what they say.

Thanks again :)

Agent_24
02-01-2006, 04:40 PM
mmm I reckon turning it off is a good idea... incase some idiot starts pinging you all night and wasting up your cap or something. :lol:

SonicNZ2
02-01-2006, 05:04 PM
I have the D-Link DSL-504G, the only light that blinks is the Status light when it not in use. This the from the manual.....

Power: Steady green light indicates the unit is powered on

ADSL (Link/Act): Steady green light indicates a valid ADSL connection / Blinking green light indicates an active Internet session

Ethernet (Link/Act): Steady green light indicates a valid Ethernet connection / Blinking green light indicates an active Internet session through your Ethernet connection

plod
02-01-2006, 05:06 PM
There are four lights on my modem

USB.....ETHERNET......READY......POWER.

At times, there is some activity on the modem even if the puter is turned off. This is just my ISP or may even be a drive-by hack attack. Since I have invoked the firewall in the router, any hackers just see what I let them see and they leave me alone.

How can this be a drive by attack if you don't have wireless?

SurferJoe46
02-01-2006, 05:10 PM
How can this be a drive by attack if you don't have wireless?

Easy..they gotta find a live connex 1st...no response to their ping..no interest made and on they go to the next guy....

The_End_Of_Reality
02-01-2006, 05:24 PM
SonicNZ2 - Mine is very similary only the status light doesn't blink, it is the activity light.

Joe - a drive by usually involves some sort of motorvehicle, I think what you mean is a surf by or hack by attack :p

SurferJoe46
02-01-2006, 05:41 PM
My boys coined the phrase and it seems to be caught on here locally..we get both kinds of drive-bys.........

The_End_Of_Reality
02-01-2006, 05:46 PM
Oh, I see, what do you mean both? What are these two?

SurferJoe46
03-01-2006, 06:16 AM
As we are just a suburb of the greater Los Angeles commmunity, we get a certain amount of the lead-laden drive-bys here. Gang activity (Bloods v Crips) are just in the movies..there are so many independent gangs who are all trying to make a name for themselves that the average citizen is always under some sort of attack. We get "bump-and-robs", "swoop-and-dive", home invasions, and general "don't-go-out-after-sunset" problems.

Thankfully, we don't have very good freeway access here and the problem with shooting up a town and getting back outta it is very limiting in nature. If the shooters cannot get to a freeway to make a getaway, then they tend to shy away from hamlets like ours.

That doesn't mean that there aren't gang activities here in good ol' Hemet and San Jacinto. The evidence of graffitti indicates there are "turf" proclamations going on at present. The anti-graffitti patrols are out in force eradicating the spray paints all the time..but it is a very large battle.

The hack drive-bys are everywhere..and actually the least of my problems at the moment.

Sorry for hijacking the post....I got wordy again.....forgot this is not the general area.....

The_End_Of_Reality
03-01-2006, 08:19 AM
Oh I see that is not very good and also dangerous, I bet the local police have a hard job.

Do you ever feel threatened or in danger?

LOL :lol: thats ok I asked you a question and that was your reply, (rather long I might add :lol: :p)