PDA

View Full Version : recovering files help!

LOWTEC
31-12-2005, 12:08 PM
dont know if theres anything i can do but my laptop wont boot up as im pretty sure it has severe virus infection so before reformatting I would like to try and recover 10gb or so of files from it.
It is networked to my desktop so the only thing I have tryed is booting my latop up using knoppix (linux on a disk?) but linux can only read NTFS is that corrrect? so i was thinking i could use my network to transfer the files to my desktop can i do this? (so far i havnt been able to) or is there another process i can do?

thanks for any help

bartsdadhomer
31-12-2005, 12:10 PM
remove the drive from the lappy use an adapter and slave the lappy drive to your desktop

Graham L
31-12-2005, 01:19 PM
Linux will read any FAT format. NTFS is sometimes a problem, though it's only writing to a NTFS partition which is not recommended. Reading can't do any damage. ;) The laptops's harddrive might not appear in Knoppix, unless you explicitly mount it. Did you manage to get a network connection to your desktop?

LOWTEC
31-12-2005, 02:00 PM
yea ive mounted the laptop hdd and can read the files but yea as you mentioned writting doesnt work too well otherwise id just copy them to an external hdd. my network connection is working on my desktop but as im a noob with linux/knoppix i dont know how to use it to transfer the files between the two without creating an ftp (which i dont know how to do lol).

i may look into getting an updater as mentioned above bt would really like to not have to spend money.

LOWTEC
31-12-2005, 02:03 PM
just for my info is this the kind of updater i want if i do decide to go down that path - http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/43b5d8690164a9c8273fc0a87f99076d/Product/View/XH6905

Graham L
31-12-2005, 02:43 PM
I haven't used Knoppix enough to give you a list of instructions, but if you can (a) access the files on the laptop, and (b) connect to your desktop, you should be nearly there. :cool:

What you need to do is start the Samba server in Knoppix, and make the laptop's hard disk "public" in Samba. Then, the laptop and its hard disk will appear in the Network Neighbourhood on your Windows destop on the desktop. ;)

Have a look anyway .. it might be set up to do that automatically.

bartsdadhomer
31-12-2005, 03:58 PM
just for my info is this the kind of updater i want if i do decide to go down that path - http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/43b5d8690164a9c8273fc0a87f99076d/Product/View/XH6905
yup

LOWTEC
01-01-2006, 11:42 AM
I haven't used Knoppix enough to give you a list of instructions, but if you can (a) access the files on the laptop, and (b) connect to your desktop, you should be nearly there. :cool:

What you need to do is start the Samba server in Knoppix, and make the laptop's hard disk "public" in Samba. Then, the laptop and its hard disk will appear in the Network Neighbourhood on your Windows destop on the desktop. ;)

Have a look anyway .. it might be set up to do that automatically.

right i had a go at this found samba server but when i run it it just asked for a password to be set up then if i want the all hdd's to be exported so they can be read and written from another machine which i click ok and then nothin happens? nothing comes up in my network places, so im not sure what to do? is it because i havnt set up an network connection on knoppix? if so could you tell me how?

sorry for all the questions

thanks