PDA

View Full Version : Joystick for Flight Simulator?

Nomad
30-12-2005, 02:12 PM
Does anyone have a suggestion they been happy with?

I think MS Sidwinder been discontinued. I am aware of http://www.chproducts.com/retail_flash/index.html but not sure if I wanna spend that much. Something like a one handed stick is "ok", are there any with vibration feature?

I have checked online like PP and Ascent but they are a bit limited.

I am running Flight Sim 2002 Pro and Windows XP.

Thanks in adv.

Trev
30-12-2005, 02:32 PM
Look here. http://www.gpstore.co.nz/Hardware/Game-Controllers/List/1.html
Logitech is a very popular brand. I can't recommend any as I use a MS Sidwinder which I have had since 1998 and still works fine except for a bit of play in the stick. It is a bit tricky taking off in a plane in FS2004 as the play is a coule of mm either side of dead centre so when you pull back you either go slightly right or left.

Trevor :)

Elephant
30-12-2005, 03:13 PM
Does anyone have a suggestion they been happy with?

Thanks in adv.

I use a Logitech Wingman with force feedback. Had it a few months now and it works for me.

http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/43b4972102cbfe7e2740c0a87f990742/Product/View/XH3552

stu161204
30-12-2005, 03:28 PM
I think MS Sidwinder been discontinued.

Where did you read that?

Trev
30-12-2005, 03:45 PM
Where did you read that?
MS haven't made J/S for 2 or 3 years now.

Trevor :)

bazmeister
30-12-2005, 03:51 PM
I have used a Saitek X8-33GU for many years now, and while it is probably well out of date it has always performed well.

Whatever you decide on, make sure it has a decent throttle control, something you get get hold of and adjust the revs. A lot of the Gamer/Shootup type stuff isn't designed for this purpose.

Mine has enough buttons to control the under-carriage, flaps,ATC on and off, trim and views. The Hat-switch is great fior panning about, especially in the newer downloads with a good virtual cockpit. Anything else would be a luxury but not necessary.

If you want a definitive answer, go to Simviation.com and put a post (as a guest) into the appropriate forum - you'll get a wealth of advice on current models.
Good luck..

JJJJJ
30-12-2005, 04:37 PM
I've tried all the popular joysticks with MS flight sim and as far as I am concerned the best by far is The Logitech Extreme 3D pro.
About $80/90 and worth every cent.
It does not have force feed back. But I think that's just a bit of a joke anyway.

Nomad
30-12-2005, 08:07 PM
Regarding this Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. Is it centralised? That means no left or right over calibrate. If you leave stick, does it stablise? I don't wanna always correct the balance of the joystick.

Thanks again.

JJJJJ
30-12-2005, 08:43 PM
Regarding this Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. Is it centralised? That means no left or right over calibrate. If you leave stick, does it stablise? I don't wanna always correct the balance of the joystick.

Thanks again.

Yes it's pretty much self stabalising. To hold an exact course minor adjustments are needed.
It's as close to a real life joystick as you'll find.