PDA

View Full Version : How Would Remove a Partial Installation of Windows?

Servus
30-12-2005, 04:55 AM
Recently (ie yesterday) I was replacing my old mother board and CPU with a new one, and for some unknown reason the boot files for XP Proffessional were corrupted in the process (power spike maybe?)

I reinstalled successfully, and everything works fine, except that the boot menu now has two different installations of Windows XP Proffessional, one which works fine and the other which leads to the blue screen of death.

Is there any way that I can remove that from the option select menu, or at least make the working one the top choice, so that don't have to mash the down key everytime I turn on my computer?

Thanks in advance :D

SurferJoe46
30-12-2005, 05:36 AM
I am guessing you have a full-install disc for XP?

If so, try the repair mode of XP...it should delete the corrupted version and just leave you with the good one.....you don't need two installs as they are kinda large and use a lot of space on the drive.

I got this problem once in exactly the same way...a power glitch...and got almost 90% of a corrupt copy that was cleaned and removed by the install disk running in the repair mode.

>>> People tell me I was fortunate it worked, but somehow I don't think so...on the day it rains soup, I'll be carrying as spoon.

Greg
30-12-2005, 07:17 AM
Could completely reformat and reinstall again.

drcspy
30-12-2005, 07:41 AM
control panel/system/advanced/startup and recovery/settings/system startup/edit..............change the menu to remove the one you dont want......if you are unsure which is which then rename one of them and that change will be reflected next tiem you reboot then you can identify which one you dont want and go back in and edit to remove it.......

kingdragonfly
30-12-2005, 09:34 AM
The cigar goes to drcspy. The Boot.ini has two entries; reformatting and reinstalling it would be overkill

bartsdadhomer
30-12-2005, 09:50 AM
The cigar goes to drcspy. The Boot.ini has two entries; reformatting and reinstalling it would be overkill

That depends, sure removing the entry will fix the boot scenario but there is no use deleting the entry from the Boot ini if there is still a partial install of XP floating round on the drive somwhere taking up room
Finding the partial installation and deleting it would be the best bet, not a job for a novice though.
Better still take Gregs advice, format the sucker again and do a proper single install

kingdragonfly
30-12-2005, 09:56 AM
However bartsdadhomer, it's likely the reinstall overwrote the first install files. The exception, of course, is the Boot.ini file.

Windows doesn't overwrite this file because you may have a dual boot system.

The install process is smart enough not to overwrite the Boot.ini file, but too lazy to see if you already have an identical line already.

The only time you should have left over files from a bad install, is if you choose not to use Windows defaults directory locations, which is unusual.

Having said that, I always reformat the partition following a bad install.

bartsdadhomer
30-12-2005, 10:16 AM
However kingdragonfly, selecting the "corrupt install" from the boot menu leads to a BSOD which wouldn't happen unless there were files there to work with, it would just sit and go nowhere until it timed out then boot to the other installation

I've found in the past if Show all files is enabled you'd find 2 windows folders and the second one would bw named 'windows.1' and there would be more user acounts than the normal 3, there would be other user accounts as hidden folders

What's more, you probably won't be allowed to delete them or take ownership
I'm sure there are ways around it but I've never bothered to find out
I've always formatted and reinstalled to ensure a nice clean environment to start with