PDA

View Full Version : Disk Drives: please help

robert_allen90
30-12-2005, 03:27 AM
ok heres the problem, i have 2 drives in my computer, a dvd rom drive and a cd writer drive and both of them arent working. when ever i put a disk into the dvd rom drive it doesnt load up and when i double click it it says insert disk. my cd writer drive reads cds and copied dvds but it wont read any regular dvds, this is really annoying me. my dvd rom drive stoped working ages a go and i cudnt fix it but at least i cud use my writer drive to play dvds etc but now its buggered up as well. any help wud be greatly appreciated, :)

georgeks
30-12-2005, 04:46 AM
Listen, I had a similar problem myself: My DVD/RW worked as expected, but my DVD could only read CDs, and when a DVD was inserted I got "insert disk...".
I reset CMOS-removed battery,M/B jumper etc..- and re-flashed BIOS. I don't know if the 1st or the 2nd did the trick, but when I restored from a Ghost image all was fine-before, restoring had no effect...
By the way do you have a SATA or RAID drive or controller? If you do, try uninstalling and re-installing them, also try the latest chipset drivers -Intel, VIA, SiS...
Do you still have the problem after a "clean" install?

robert_allen90
30-12-2005, 06:06 AM
thanks for your help but i dont know an awful lot about computers and i didnt really understand most of what you just said. :dogeye:

SurferJoe46
30-12-2005, 07:46 AM
Let's make sure that you have them installed with the jumpers in the correct position first.

One has to be the MASTER and the other has to be a SLAVE...it is all in the placement of the little black or white jumpers that are on the back of the drive.

If you don't know what they are, then just reach into the tower (when the power is removed!), and being careful of static electricity, just unplug one or the other of the drives. Be sure to pull the power supply plug (with the yellow, red and black wires) and the thin ribbon cable too. Then try a reboot and see if the drive's there now or not.

Get back with the results.

I think you might've allowed them both to be MASTERS and that won't work. I don't suggest the C/S position..that's Cable Select.

pctek
30-12-2005, 07:53 AM
And a CD writer won't read DVDs unless its in fact a combo drive.

SurferJoe46
30-12-2005, 08:37 AM
Setting Hard Drive Jumpers

This is a good time to examine any instructions that came with your hard drive to see if any jumpers need to be adjusted. Jumpers are little connectors which connect adjacent pins. They “jump” between the pins. The jumpers are probably set fine IN SINGLE DRIVE SITUATIONS, but it’s a good idea to check them, just in case.

The usual jumper settings for a hard drive are:

* Cable Select ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~C/S

* Primary ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~PRI

* Secondary~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SEC

Cable Select means that the mainboard will choose whether to make the drive primary or secondary. Most mainboards today support cable select. And, most drives will have their jumpers already set to cable select. You can just have all your drives set to cable select, and the mainboard will take care of the rest.

“Primary” means first and most important. Think of the primary as the one that usually takes control of the cable and gets its way. The secondary is like a little brother who must usually wait.

You usually want your main CD-ROM drive as Primary, or set it as Cable Select and have the mainboard set it as primary IF YOUR MOBO KNOWS WHAT TO DO!. Because we know we want this hard drive set to Primary, we read the instructions which tell us how to set the jumper. We set this jumper to Primary. The other drive will be the Slave or Secondary

Incorrectly set jumpers are a common problem when building a PC. So, double check the orientation. There usually is a drawing on the drive itself that has a rather cryptic representation of the pins and the jumper positions.

Does the jumper go on the top row, bottom row, or across the top and bottom rows?

Does the jumper go closer to the side of the drive with the power supply connector, or is the jumper closer to the side away from the power connector (the one with the black, yellow and red wires)?

Count pins on each side of the jumper. All this will help assure you have the jumpers set as you want. Be sure to push the jumper in all the way.

To remove jumpers, longer nails are handy, or you could use a small needle nose pliers (Figure 78). Be gentle. There’s no need to crush the little feller, no matter how frustrating he is to deal with. Don't bend any pins either! Therin lies madness!

wuppo
30-12-2005, 09:09 AM
Drive jumpers are commonly shown as:

MA - Master
SL - Slave
CS - Cable select

kingdragonfly
30-12-2005, 09:47 AM
Even simpler, if the DVD driver hasn't worked in awhile, just unplug the drive cable. If you're not sure which one is the drive cable, disconnect the two cables connected to your DVD drive, and leave the CD player still connected with two cables.

By the way, make sure the two cables are attached firmly to your CD drive, the power cable and IDE/SATA cable.

Any change when the DVD drive is disconnected?