PDA

View Full Version : FC3-wvdial-unable to ping anything external once connected

hamstar
30-12-2005, 02:42 AM
hey guys,

got my modem working on linux! wahoo! on fc3 command line.

I used wvdialconf to setup the wvdial.conf file (by ln -fs /dev/536ep /dev/ttyS0), and now it connects when I run wvdial but it doesn't want to ping anything external apart from the quicksilver server.

I can ping 202.89.136.1, the server/gateway at quicksilver, however, I can't hit the nameservers even though wvdial prints them out on connecting (202.89.128.16 -- 202.89.128.17)

So because I can't connect to the nameservers, of course I can't get to anything that requires a DNS lookup.. well, i haven't tried googles IP, but it would suck having to find the ip for ever site I want to go to.

I have tried pinging the nameservers from this computer, (it works) and they reply.

A few things to note:
I have Stupid Mode = 1 in wvdial.conf to stop the "NO CARRIER" issue
Bananas are yellow

Yeah so any help would be appreciated... just doesn't seem like the server wants to let me through....

cheers

hamstar
30-12-2005, 11:28 AM
c'mon, someone please help me? anyone used wvdial before? chill? anyone?

vinref
30-12-2005, 12:54 PM
Do you have the following line in wvdial.conf?: Auto DNS = 1

Does ping get 100% packet loss, or does it give an error message immediately? Anything in /var/log/messages about it? Firewall issue?

hamstar
31-12-2005, 03:43 PM
auto DNS doesn't do anything.. I wonder if theres a set hostname... option... *searches google*

When I ping the DNS servers I get Destination Host Unreachable. Options seem to be correct in ifconfig ppp0...

Haven't looked in the messages yet, but will soon...

vinref
31-12-2005, 04:37 PM
Routing problem? Your machine doesn't know the route to any machines other than the only machine it is connected to - the ISP dial-in server.

Show output of the following (filtering personal info of course):

route
ppp.conf

hamstar
31-12-2005, 06:33 PM
AHA! Got it.. routing problem.

The quicksilver server wasn't added as a gateway in route. the gateway is itself.

So it doesn't seem like it's changing the gateway when it connects right?

If I change it so there is no default gateway to start with... oh no, i'll just set the default gateway to always be the server. sweeet....

p.s. this is posted from the my server itself using links :D