PDA

View Full Version : Corrupt MFT, what to do now? why did it happen?

Bazman
30-12-2005, 12:45 AM
My 2nd HDD's MFT has become corrupt. Just like that, I did everything as normal, and suddenly I get the error message saying that it's corrupt and un-readable.
Bye bye all my data. Why, oh why bloody why do these things have to happen? :badpc: :badpc:
If there's any way to completely rule out this event occuring in the future, then plz give me the magical pill.
Recovery?, I've used GetDataBack 3.2, but was able to retrieve jack. :badpc: :badpc: boy am I frustrated.

pctek
30-12-2005, 07:58 AM
http://www.ntfs.com/quest14.htm

kingdragonfly
30-12-2005, 09:40 AM
You say your second hard drive failed, and you lost *all* your data.

You weren't using a RAID0 setup by chance? RAID0 means zero redundancy, and zero chance of recovering if one of the drives fails (not quite zero, but you get the idea).

I see people all the time using RAID0, without realizing how dangerous it is. RAID0 without good backups = evitable loss of data.

RAID0+1, RAID1, RAID5, etc. all have redundacy when a drive goes south, but not RAID0

Graham L
30-12-2005, 02:40 PM
There's a simple way to backup the partition table and bootstrap in that sector. Use a Linux live CD. Get a (good, thoroughly tested) DOS floppy mounted. Then in a terminal, do dd if=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1 of=/mnt/floppy/hdasave.dat. Repeat if necessary, changing the /dev/hdX and the output file name to suit disks other than the first IDE (/dev/hda).

That will ensure this never happens again... thats what backups are for. ;D But if it does, from the live CD, you mount the floppy again and dd if=/mnt/floppy/hdasave.dat of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1 will restore the sector.