PDA

View Full Version : USB Drive Problem

stevo
28-12-2005, 07:39 PM
this has been happening for quite some time now, earlier this year i got 2 usb drives but whenever i conected them to my computer after a few seconds the drive icon disappeared from my computer and in device manager there in "Location 0" .

Now ive recently ive gotten an ipod and the same problem happens, the only usb drive that does work is my olympus digital camera, i can easily access the drive on that to copy the pictures to the computer.

Does anybody have an idea to what is happening? it cant be a usb problem if the camera works...

beama
28-12-2005, 07:47 PM
what operating system ?

stevo
28-12-2005, 08:11 PM
XP Home Edition SP2

Speedy Gonzales
28-12-2005, 08:16 PM
Look in device manager under USB controllers on the bottom here.

Does anything here have a ? If it does, delete the entry/entries and reboot.

Did u install SP2 recently? If so, delete the USB controllers entry (or the entries under this), in device manager. XP will reload them after u reboot.

stevo
28-12-2005, 08:21 PM
i installed sp2 ages ago, nothing has a question mark, and ive done what you suggested and still the same problem.

Dillinger
28-12-2005, 08:31 PM
try updating your MB drivers. Or upgrade to XP pro

Speedy Gonzales
28-12-2005, 08:32 PM
If the Ipod and the USb drive dont work, is USB 2 enabled in the BIOS??

And on high speed?

If USB 2 is onboard.

stevo
28-12-2005, 08:32 PM
whats wrong with home?

Speedy Gonzales
28-12-2005, 08:37 PM
Nothings wrong with Home.

USB 2 works on both. The only other reason why it wont work, is if the mobo drivers havent been installed. Look in device manager again.

Has anything got a ? beside it?

stevo
28-12-2005, 08:41 PM
nope nothnig has a questionmark

stevo
28-12-2005, 08:42 PM
also usb would be working as i use my printer and modem on usb ports

Speedy Gonzales
28-12-2005, 08:59 PM
Are you plugging the Ipod and USB drive directly into the USB port, or through a USB 2 hub??

And if you want to access the Ipod as a hard drive, is Itunes installed?

Itunes has got an option in it, to enable the Ipod as a disk/hard drive.

And whats the power supply in the case? Do you know?

And what else is in the case? Beside the ram, hdd, power supply, cd/dvd, and videocard?

Depending on what else is plugged into the USB 2 ports, whats inside the case, and what the power supply is (as in 300 or 400w etc), something maybe drawing too much power. And there's not enough power to power all the USB 2 ports.

stevo
28-12-2005, 09:01 PM
im plugging them into the port directly

Speedy Gonzales
28-12-2005, 09:07 PM
Have a look at the previous post, I posted. I added a bit more to it.

Try plugging the Ipod or the USB drive, in where the printer is plugged in for now.

See what happens then.

stevo
28-12-2005, 09:25 PM
it first said unknown device, then i took it out and put it back in said apple ipod etc. and now device mnager keeps freezing

Speedy Gonzales
28-12-2005, 09:32 PM
When you took it out, did it appear in my computer, before you removed it??

You shouldnt pull an Ipod out until you select the eject option via right mouse on the Ipod in My computer. If it appeared there.

Or you may corrupt it / screw things up.

I take it you have the docking bit for the Ipod?

What Ipod are we talking about btw? 40 GB? 20 GB? Nano? other?

I would check and see how many watts the power supply is. This maybe the prob.

stevo
28-12-2005, 09:38 PM
it appeared for about 5 seconds then like the usb drives it disappeared

Speedy Gonzales
28-12-2005, 09:46 PM
it appeared for about 5 seconds then like the usb drives it disappeared

Do you know what the power supply is in the case. As I said, this maybe the prob. If its not 400 watts +. Depending on whats plugged into the USB ports and whats inside the case.

Did you buy this computer as a system, or did you make/build it from scratch?

bob_doe_nz
28-12-2005, 11:10 PM
Unplug every USB device and serial/parallel port device except for the core bits like KB and Mouse.

Then try plugging in the USB dongle or Ipod and see what happens.

FrankS
30-12-2005, 11:58 AM
Stevo, do you have Everest Home Edition installed?. This will give you all the details of the USB hubs you have installed, posting this info may help the experts. I would as suggested remove uninstal all USB items except KB and Mouse then instal one item at a time. It does not seem logical but I have found that once a item is installed if you don't always use the same USB port it may stuff up. The other essential point is to always follow the instructions for removing mass storage devices. Another point is that I prefer to run the minimum number of USB devices ie disconnect joystick, camera, memory card etc when not in use but keep Printer, scanner connected. Query, IRQ's allocated for USBs.

howardepgco
03-01-2006, 03:46 AM
It is possible that your windows installation is not right.Try running the system file checker. This will check your windows files and replace any that are missing or not right. To run the system file checker, press Start, Run, and then type in "SFC /scannow " less the quotation marks.This is also a good option to try if you have any troubles with your system.

drcspy
03-01-2006, 06:08 AM
????????????try updating your MB drivers. Or upgrade to XP pro

WHY ???