PDA

View Full Version : NFS:MW slow and glitchy sometimes on good hardware

hamstar
27-12-2005, 10:00 PM
Hey guys,

I got Need for speed most wanted, however, sometimes when I play it goes really slow, glitchy and kind of buggy as if I am playing it on inferior hardware...

I have an XP2600 (1917mhz), 512mb ddr333 ram, and nvidia 6600GT.

I got the idea to put a second screen on my graphics card so I could monitor the temps, and processor usage.

The highest i've seen the CPU temp go is 53 and the GPU gets to 66

The processor usage goes up and down, sitting at 100% sometimes but that is when the game isn't being glitchy.

I can't see the GPU usage, and I just thought about checking the mem usage.

Whenvever it goes glitchy, the processor is usually between 50% and 100%.

Screen res is 800x600 (or 1024x768) and the graphics are on either half or 3/4 (yknow the slider thingee in the display options.), however even when I turn the graphics to the lowest, it does the same thing.

And the game is patched to 1.3 running on Windows 2000 sp0.

Hope someone can help, this gets kindof annoying... and I'm really confused as to what it could be. I'll watch the mem stats tho, and see if I can ninja (another) 512 mb of ram off cold_fu5ion.... ;)

Cheers in advance,
hamstar

Trev
27-12-2005, 11:50 PM
Try disconnecting the second monitor that well slow things down abit. If useing Zone Alarm turn that off too. I NFSMW on a inferior machine than yours and have no problems. P4 2.53 533FSB 1gb 2100 DDR ram. Geforce 6800 LE 128mb graphics, Windows XP Home SP2.

Trevor :)

hamstar
28-12-2005, 01:14 AM
umm.. pretty much the whole reason of putting the second monitor on there, was so I could watch my temps/cpu-usage etc to try and figure out what was making it go slow.

So I can surely tell you - the second screen is not the problem.

Battleneter
28-12-2005, 07:24 AM
Runs fine for me (although I don't play it much).

Not sure why you are running Win2K. I would be looking at XP sometime in the near future. XP is faster than 2K with directX functions (some argue this, but I have tested myself as well), and I wouldn't rely on total compatibility for new games in the future.

I would disable your network adaptor, disable your AV and any firewalls and DEFINATELY run a defrag on your OS drive if you haven't recently, the game maybe causing excessive paging.

kingdragonfly
28-12-2005, 11:06 AM
Please if you're directly connected to the Internet, don't disable your firewall.

In other words, if you're PC network cable goes directly to a ADSL modem, and you disable your software based firewall, expect your PC to be infected within a few minutes.

Disconnect your firewall and antivirus while connected directly to the Internet is a death sentence for a Windows PC.

hamstar
30-12-2005, 02:26 AM
bah! gone back to linux now, that should run it without a problem... now to get my hands on cedega 5 :D

go opensuse!

Agent_24
30-12-2005, 10:22 AM
NFS underground (first one) ran very glitchy for me straight out of the box. 4 patches later and new video drivers fixed its problems. (that and later I had to replace the video card as it died on me, which I guess was also causing problems)

I agree with battleneter on possible compatibilty issues with Win2K...

Also, when you say glitchy, what do you mean? just random lag or actual graphical corruption issues?

But I have run NFSUG and NFSUG2 on my old computer (the same specs as yours) with no lag so that shouldn't be happening, esp. even on lowest settings.

hamstar
30-12-2005, 11:24 AM
um, yeah just random lag... turned out to be not enough memory... but yeah i'm back to linux now so we'll see how it runs on there ;)

hamstar
30-12-2005, 11:24 AM
oh and i got 512mb more ram the other day..