PDA

View Full Version : LAN is slow when gaming

Jimmy D
27-12-2005, 12:59 PM
Hi, we've got a win2000pro networked with xp pro.
when gaming everything works fine on both computers but whenever the xp one connects to the 2000 or vise versa, the xp computer starts lagging something chronic. it not only feels like connection lag but also graphics lag. the win2000 computer is fine all the time. the xp computer is fine untill some sort of constant connection is made.
It's all fine when copying files over tho.
anyone know what the problem is? im assuming its the xp comp because i've networked the 2000 and played games and its been sweet.

cheers
Jim

Nomad
27-12-2005, 02:25 PM
unfamiliar with games via LAN but in my exp if you go to network neigbourhood and access the other pc that way manually between my win2k and winxp it does take some time before u are able to open their workgroup folder. after u get in its fine speedwise.

maybe pop all pc in the same workgroup.
maybe is there a conv reuse feature like mapping the network computers via the game??

Battleneter
27-12-2005, 04:43 PM
You need a to run a basic network speed test.

1. From the Windows XP machine access a command prompt "Start-Run" then type "CMD"

2. From Command prompt type "Ipconfig" and record the IP address, THEN go to the Win2000 machine and enter the command prompt the same way.

3. Type "ping" then a space and then type the ip address of the XP machine you recorded. The results should be around "Average" 5MS ish. If its a lot more you have a networking issue.

Are you running any crap firewalls like Zonealarm? and also what games are you talking about?

kingdragonfly
28-12-2005, 10:53 AM
Are you gaming locally? In other words, there's no router or firewall between the PC's.

You may try NetBEUI, which incurs substantially less overhead than TCP/IP. However it can't pass over the Internet without a tunnel.

If you're running over the internet, you may to disable the QOS service, since Windows reserves some bandwidth for it.