PDA

View Full Version : High pitched screeching

Johnnysmith
26-12-2005, 05:21 AM
Hey, I was wondering if anyone could help me out. For a while I'd been seeing the blue screen of death on my computer but choose to ingore it as it was quite infrequent.
But for the past week whenever I try to turn my computer on its makes a series of high pitched noises, it doesn't boot anything and the screen remains blank. I tried to replace it with a different monitor with no luck.
Any ideas? Thanks

drcspy
26-12-2005, 05:49 AM
since you dont describe the noises as 'beeps' then i'm going to assume that then next most likely thing will be a cpu overheat warning which sound's like a small siren it's a two tone 'high/low' warning noise. I'f this is what you have been hearing then it could very well be that the cpu has overheated and died.......get a tech to look at it.....

kingdragonfly
26-12-2005, 08:23 AM
A loose power cable to either your CPU or video card could cause the same problem.

Nicer, meaning more expensive, video cards will sometimes have an extra power cable; some will scream like a banshee if it's disconnected.

A high pitch squeal might be something more mundane like a bad fan motor, or even a fan blade striking something.

They sound different, but it's hard to explain if you've not heard them before. The CPU overheat, or loose fan power cable, is generally instant, and "digital" sounding.

IF YOU HEAR THIS, TURN OFF YOUR PC INSTANTLY, and check all power cables, lest you inflict serious damage to your PC.

tweak'e
26-12-2005, 10:48 AM
sounds like faulty powersupply. fairly comman for them toi squeel when going faulty.

is it the actually pc not working or the screen not just turning on??