PDA

View Full Version : xmas trouble

aidanmaz
25-12-2005, 12:27 PM
i have two problems crop up on christmas day.

1) my HP deskjet 840c refuses to print colour no matter what drivers i use. it has a new color cartridge in it too.

2) i was told by some helpful person (no saracasim) thst i should use routing and remote access in server 2003 to share a 56k dialup connection. i can set it up on the server but the client (win xp pro) cant connect, it dials but IE continually reckons there is no connection. it has auto IP and no pervious dial connection on it.

other than this its been a wonderful Xmas, MERRY XMAS EVERYONE!!!!!

bartsdadhomer
25-12-2005, 02:17 PM
i have two problems crop up on christmas day.

1) my HP deskjet 840c refuses to print colour no matter what drivers i use. it has a new color cartridge in it too.

a new hp cartridge or a refill/clone one?

aidanmaz
26-12-2005, 01:16 AM
brand new cartridge, so it TECHNICALLY should work

zqwerty
26-12-2005, 02:03 AM
Check the manual and see if it can print a test page from the printer itself, thus pointing to either the computer or the cartridge as the problem.

kingdragonfly
26-12-2005, 08:42 AM
...i should use routing and remote access in server 2003 to share a 56k dialup connection. i can set it up on the server but the client (win xp pro) cant connect, it dials but IE continually reckons there is no connection. it has auto IP and no pervious dial connection on it.

Here's a Microsoft link:
Step-by-Step Guide to Configuring a Dial-Up Remote Access Server
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technologies/directory/activedirectory/stepbystep/rrascnfg.mspx

"This step-by-step guide provides guidance for configuring a Routing and Remote Access Services (RRAS) infrastructure to support dial-in remote access connections."

Notice it says "dial in", not "dial out"

Morgenmuffel
27-12-2005, 12:20 PM
Probably a really dumb question but

Don't some cartridges come with a small removable piece of plastic film over the print heads?

Growly
27-12-2005, 12:32 PM
If you want to use Routing and Remote Access to share dial-up, you must first ignore remote access alltogether. If you install your modem on the server, and configure it, it can become an interface like any LAN connection. You can then enable LAN routing in Routing and Remote Access, as well as NAT. I won't elaborate too much on the detailed steps yet, that will come soon - but suffice to say it is an arduous task designed for enterprise environments and not homes.

If you want to share the dial up at your house, the easiest thing to do is to setup up internet connection sharing (ICS). This is a limited version of Routing and Remote Access that will suit your needs perfectly and with very little fuss. There's even a wizard in Windows XP to do it - becuase windows XP can do it, no need for 2003. Either look online or browse to the Advanced tab of your Dial-Up connection properties.