PDA

View Full Version : Networking troubles

Codex
25-12-2005, 01:05 AM
okay im trying to network my computer to my xbox system for xbox live, but the computer and the xbox both say theres no connection *is lsot* i checked the cable many times(i only bought the cable today) and the xbox says "check cables" "check cables" "check cables" i want to kill it! lol so can someone please tell me why this could be happening

the cable is male to male RJ45 cable, both network cards are male ports. computer running with intell 82559 fast ethernet controller and has perviously worked, the xbox is less then a month old as well.

Rob99
25-12-2005, 01:13 AM
What type of internet connection do you have.

Are you using a switch

drcspy
25-12-2005, 06:59 AM
and what type of cable is it ?........crossover/patch ?

Graham L
28-12-2005, 01:52 PM
You will certainly have to use a crossover cable. If you haven't got one, the transmit pair is talking to the transmit pair and the recieve pair is listening to the other receive pair. No communication results. The system says: "check cables". :D

A crossover might have red protective boots. Otherwise, hold the cable with the plugs side by side and the cable hanging down from them. Have the latches facing away from you. The pins are numbered 1 to 8 from left to right. Look at the colours of the wires. If the pins are connected 1-1, 2-2, 3-3 ... etc, you have a straight through cable.

Codex
30-12-2005, 02:55 PM
What type of internet connection do you have.

Are you using a switch
its a usb adsl modem, so internet connection, dial up protocols i guess =/

and what type of cable is it ?........crossover/patch ?
i dont know i would assume crossover.

You will certainly have to use a crossover cable. If you haven't got one, the transmit pair is talking to the transmit pair and the recieve pair is listening to the other receive pair. No communication results. The system says: "check cables". :D

A crossover might have red protective boots. Otherwise, hold the cable with the plugs side by side and the cable hanging down from them. Have the latches facing away from you. The pins are numbered 1 to 8 from left to right. Look at the colours of the wires. If the pins are connected 1-1, 2-2, 3-3 ... etc, you have a straight through cable.
but both ports are male2male so isued a male to male cable =S;;;;; lol im a n00b at this stuff.