PDA

View Full Version : Disk Cleanup - Compress old files

Agent_24
24-12-2005, 01:01 PM
Is there a way to automatically decompress files that have been compressed by disk cleanup, to make the computer run faster so it does not have to decompress/compress everytime??

SurferJoe46
24-12-2005, 01:40 PM
If you want to leave them de-compressed for faster searches or transfer, then why do the compression via scandisk at?

It makes little sense to me to do the scan or defrag in this situation anyway, as they both compress the files to handle them better/faster.

If it means a few nano-seconds to find and open a file verses the search time...I think it's a wash anyway.

...(awaiting the flames of another reply).......

Graham L
24-12-2005, 01:52 PM
The argument for compressing files is that the disk files are smaller, so can be loaded quicker. The decompressing process runs at the CPU speed, which is many times faster than the disk transfer rate.

I don't know what the advantage is with modern CPUs.

In the good old days, with fast 12 or 20MHz processors, and 5MHz disks it was only just worthwhile. And it wasn't automatic ... you had to do it yourself. Most people didn't bother after a while. A similar trick was stripping out all the blocks of zeroes (all the buffers and storage areas in programmes) in .EXE files, and adding a small loader which would expand them into memory.

SurferJoe46
24-12-2005, 02:10 PM
Graham, but that's my thought ..if compression/decompression takes time for flying heads, then there's little to gain from no compression at all.

.......but if we factor in the search time for the fragments and the BAM inquiries (of a non-compressed file) all the time, then I guess it's a draw as far as time used is concerned.

The only purpose, (as I see it), for the files to be compressed for a defrag is that Windows is lazy and wants things in a neat package to accomplish the defrag.

The sidebar is: from that point on, it is easier for the BAM to find them in the future...but I still think search time verses decompression is a draw time-wise. ..depends on the size of the file of course.

Agent_24
24-12-2005, 05:26 PM
someone else compressed them with disk cleanup, I was under the impression that it would slow things down a bit.

jamesyboi
24-12-2005, 06:26 PM
weneva i cleanup. i make sure 2 remove compressed files....especially from games drive
cos they compress after 50 days of non use.......so you dont use them usually rite...