PDA

View Full Version : ZoneAlarm

Pato
24-12-2005, 10:43 AM
In ZoneAlarm Preferences I have ticked "Load ZoneAlarm at startup" but it is not starting when I boot-up and I have to start it from the "Start" button. What else do I need to do please?

pctek
24-12-2005, 03:40 PM
You shouldn't need to do anything else.
From RUN, type msconfig.
Choose the startup tab and check there is a tick next to the entry for Zone Alarm.

Pato
24-12-2005, 04:00 PM
You shouldn't need to do anything else.
From RUN, type msconfig.
Choose the startup tab and check there is a tick next to the entry for Zone Alarm.
It doesn't appear in the list under the Start Up tab?

Dannz
24-12-2005, 04:08 PM
Do you have something like SpyBot TeaTimer which is stoping the registry change? (the change that makes zone alarm run at startup)

Pato
24-12-2005, 04:27 PM
Do you have something like SpyBot TeaTimer which is stoping the registry change? (the change that makes zone alarm run at startup)
Yes Spybot Resident and Tea Timer are in the list. These were put in when my HDD gave up the ghost and the PC was still under warranty. Don't know what Tea Timer is but can do a search on Google. Should I remove Tea Timer? as it looks as tho that is what is upsetting things?.

Dannz
24-12-2005, 04:28 PM
Do you get any messages about registry changes when you tell zone alarm to run at startup?

Pato
24-12-2005, 04:39 PM
Do you get any messages about registry changes when you tell zone alarm to run at startup?
Yes I do. Unfortunately the spybot popup has a couple of decision windows which I can't read entirely so I don't which one to press LOL.

Dannz
24-12-2005, 04:41 PM
That is going to be the cause, you may want to - either disable them temporarily or somehow make it so you can read the options.

Pato
24-12-2005, 04:44 PM
I am wrong Spybot isn't in Startup list just the Tea Timer. Just did a google and looks as tho that programe is part of Spybot. Previously I just had Spybot and ran it every week without all this Registry rubbish.

Dannz
24-12-2005, 04:46 PM
Tea Timer stops programs modifiying your registry without your permission

Pato
24-12-2005, 04:46 PM
That is going to be the cause, you may want to - either disable them temporarily or somehow make it so you can read the options.
Would it be best for me to remove the Tea Timer program altogether and just load in the normal Spybot program that I had previously or could that cause problems?. Perhaps I should reinstall Tea Timer so that I can read the windows correctly?.

Dannz
24-12-2005, 04:48 PM
Would it be best for me to remove the Tea Timer program altogether and just load in the normal Spybot program that I had previously or could that cause problems?.
Depends if you want realtime protection against spyware/registry modifications.

Pato
24-12-2005, 04:52 PM
Depends if you want realtime protection against spyware/registry modifications.
If I remove Tea Timer can it cause any problems in the Registry?

Dannz
24-12-2005, 04:53 PM
None other than possible ones caused by spyware

Pato
24-12-2005, 04:56 PM
Thanks for you help Daniel which is much appreciated. Cheers.

Pato
24-12-2005, 04:58 PM
I also run Ad Aware.

Dannz
24-12-2005, 04:59 PM
Thanks for you help Daniel which is much appreciated. Cheers.

ZoneAlarm starting ok now?

Pato
24-12-2005, 05:27 PM
ZoneAlarm starting ok now?
Yes but I don't know what I did the PC came up with the following:-
System Config Utility
You have used the System Config Utility to make changes to the way windows starts.
The System Configuration Utility - currently in Diagnostic or Selective Startup Mode causing this message to be displayed and the Utility to run every time windows starts.
Choosed the Normal Startup Mode on the General tab to start windows normally and undo the changes you made using the confirg utility

Oh dear what did I do?

Dannz
24-12-2005, 05:37 PM
I assume you changed something in system config (msconfig) - Did you take TeaTimer out of there?

zqwerty
24-12-2005, 07:05 PM
Use this program to disable programs that you do not want to run at start up including Teatimer, absolutely recommended by all who use it. Do not use msconfig to do the job.

http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

If you want to really get down to brass tacks then use autoruns, but my advice is to go with the first program until you understand more about how the computer is set up:

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Autoruns.html

Pato
24-12-2005, 07:17 PM
Yes, I did, Daniel and I have learnt something from this exercise haven't I. Thanks Zqwerty just what I needed. I appreciate all the help I get on F1 and would be lost without the assistance from you and others on the Forum. Cheers and happy Xmas to all.