PDA

View Full Version : 30gb or so of my hard drive was suddenly taken up

JSF_enthusiast
23-12-2005, 10:41 PM
OK well I installed BF1942 plus the patchs from a CD. Now before I install and then after I install anything i was defragment my hard drive. When I discovered that 30gb of my hard drive has been taken up by something that I can't find. Before installing everything was fine, everything normal.

I have searched the installed programs list and there is nothing unususuall. I went through the hard drive using microsoft explorer and I couldn't find anything. I used microsoft disk clean up, nothing found there either. I am currently running a scan with norton anti-virus and it doesn't appear to be finding anything either. What could be the problem? could the hard drive possibly be damaged?

Renmoo
23-12-2005, 10:46 PM
NTFS or FAT 32? BF 1942 might have created temporary files during the installation, try clearing them.

Cheers :)

P.S. What is BF1942? :lol:

bob_doe_nz
23-12-2005, 11:12 PM
JSF, what you could try and do is this.
Right click the mouse on a folder in 'c:\program files' and press 'R'. It brings up the folder properties.
Look at the size it takes up. Do this with the other folders in the prog. files directory.
If something seems quite large & unusual/fishy, open the sub-folder and do the right click thing again to see what folders consuming the most space.

You can do this with other folders on other drives too if they arent too complex.

If you want to you could post details on what files they are and if possible where it is.

BF 1942 might have created temporary files during the installationSurely it doesnt take up 30 gigs though

pctek
24-12-2005, 07:04 AM
OK well I installed BF1942 plus the patchs from a CD. Now before I install and then after I install anything i was defragment my hard drive. When I discovered that 30gb of my hard drive has been taken up by something that I can't find.
Well how much room did BF1942 take? And then the patches - 30Gb sounds like a patch size to me.
And what about folders it may have created for saves and stuff?
Not to mention copy protection files...

iguana
24-12-2005, 09:52 AM
Go to this website http://windirstat.sourceforge.net/ and download the program called windirstat. It will show you a picture of everything on your hard drive in block form and tell you exactly what it is. Your 30 GB of space will show up as a huge block. It is an awesome little program, and for free too.

Jester
24-12-2005, 10:43 AM
BF1942 doesn't take up 30 gb, even with temp files, I have installed it on a 20gb HDD in the past.

My overall EAGAMES/Battlefield 1942 folder is 6.3 gb. Of that, in the mods folder the respective sizes are:

bf1942 1.3gb
DC_Final 784mb
DesertCombat 912mb
FH 2.45gb
Pirates 896mb

Forgotten Hope (FH) has always been the biggest mod (3 gb install file) and it's still being played by those who have given up on BF2's arcade like gameplay.

pheonix
24-12-2005, 12:02 PM
Have you done a scandisk? Sometimes a corruption can give wrong indications. If it scans fine, then try a program such as i.disk (http://www.snapfiles.com/get/idisk.html) which like the program mentioned above, can indicate where all the room is taken up.

SurferJoe46
24-12-2005, 01:10 PM
Go to this website http://windirstat.sourceforge.net/ and download the program called windirstat. It will show you a picture of everything on your hard drive in block form and tell you exactly what it is. Your 30 GB of space will show up as a huge block. It is an awesome little program, and for free too.

thanks iguana...love that program.....

FrankS
25-12-2005, 10:45 AM
You have'nt got Penicillin installed?, grandson overnight found about 25GB of temp files created by Penicillin, it appeared to being trying to remove something unsucessfully and kept repeating the removal process.