PDA

View Full Version : Can you TXT to USA ?

vodafone
23-12-2005, 06:35 PM
Can we from NZ on 021/029 text to mobiles in USA.

maccrazy
23-12-2005, 09:08 PM
I don't see why not. Just make sure you put +1 in front of the number followed by the area or network number then the phone number. :)

Renmoo
23-12-2005, 09:44 PM
I don't see why not. Just make sure you put +1 in front of the number followed by the area or network number then the phone number. :)
Eh? +1? I thought 00 (US code) (Cellphone number)?

Cheers :)

Greven
23-12-2005, 10:54 PM
Eh? +1? I thought 00 (US code) (Cellphone number)?

They must have had an engineer on the team - normal people use a 1 based counting system. Only IT people & engineers use 0 based.

Renmoo
24-12-2005, 10:12 AM
They must have had an engineer on the team - normal people use a 1 based counting system. Only IT people & engineers use 0 based.
Well, I thought 00 represents the international code? I have never heard of people dialing +1 when they make overseas call. The 00 works on my mom's cellphone whenever she texts to my dad in Malaysia.

personthingy
24-12-2005, 10:46 AM
"+" or "00" same difference it seems.

"+" is more correct, if you look at your own number, it will almost certainly be +6421xxxxxxxx, that breaking down to +64 (international-NZ) 21(vodafone) xxxxxxxx (up to 8 didgits of actual fone number, and yes they are now coming out with 8 didgits)

maccrazy
24-12-2005, 04:09 PM
up to 8 didgits of actual fone number, and yes they are now coming out with 8 didgitsMine has 8 digits, but its really annoying because most online systems don't seem work well with more than 7.

personthingy
24-12-2005, 04:57 PM
Mine has 8 digits, but its really annoying because most online systems don't seem work well with more than 7.well, they'll just have to adapt cause 8 digits numbered fones are being unwrapped all over the country in accordance with the weird xmas thingy........

personthingy
24-12-2005, 05:54 PM
i just sent a text to my friend in Melbourne, it was just a matter of +6141xxxxxxx

Can't see why it's any different to text fones in the USA

Lohsing
24-12-2005, 06:22 PM
USA don't have a "TXT" service as such. That's why people carry pagers as well as cellphones.

I would say you can't txt to someone in the States.

Lo.

george12
24-12-2005, 08:28 PM
I'm 99% sure they DO have txt!

personthingy
24-12-2005, 08:54 PM
I'm 99% sure they DO have txt!ha ha ...
Surfer Joe.. where are you? ;)

mark c
24-12-2005, 08:54 PM
Someone please try it. Send a txt to somone u know in the States with a cellphone.

But then maybe they don't pick up their 'txts'. I heard that too, that americans don't, as a rule, txt.

oops (http://www.pewinternet.org/press_release.asp?r=99)

Prescott
24-12-2005, 09:37 PM
you can text to the states

wuppo
26-12-2005, 09:47 AM
"+" or "00" same difference it seems.

"00" is the international access code in NZ. Other countries (may) have different international access codes. The "+" at the beginning of the number, tells the cellphone system that the following number is an international one, so you don't have to prepend the international access for the country you are in. The "+" makes the phone number correct, anywhere.

pixeldust
28-12-2005, 06:29 AM
My partner is a yank, and before he moved to NZ we text messaged each other back and forth for months. As I recall, he had to get the service enabled on his contract as it didn't come standard, but he was still able to receive texts until that came through.

One word of warning - I'm with Telstra (029), and they billed me 3 months late for hundreds of text messages sent to the US. Apparently this is a problem with sending text messages overseas. It wasn't pleasant getting a 10 page bill which was 10x the amount of my regular one! So keep an eye on your bill if you are on account, and keep some money aside just in case they're slow to bill you.

personthingy
28-12-2005, 06:46 AM
One word of warning - I'm with Telstra (029), and they billed me 3 months late for hundreds of text messages sent to the US. Apparently this is a problem with sending text messages overseas. It wasn't pleasant getting a 10 page bill which was 10x the amount of my regular one! So keep an eye on your bill if you are on account, and keep some money aside just in case they're slow to bill you.Youve just reminded me of a story, well actually a huge moan i heard from a friend of min who ran her prepay into the ground with overseas calls. It seems that overseas communicactions are often not "billed" till later, so she made call after call expecting to just run out of creds any moment, as prepays do. Oddly enough it seemed to be a bottomless pit, untill she topped up next and the $20 was obsorbed without giving her any usable credit.

pixeldust
28-12-2005, 08:19 AM
Yeah, sounds familiar - thats about what Telstra said too. Apparently its there in the contract small print when you sign up for their services (that goes for Vodafone too), and they reserve the right to withhold billing and charge basically whenever they like. I tried to argue it with them (because being sprung with a $600 phone bill ain't cool), and though they admit it sucks, they won't do anything about it. That's life, I guess.