PDA

View Full Version : Converting MP3's

Dannz
23-12-2005, 04:54 PM
Hi All
I have a number of MP3's of a number of bitrates in a number of folders.

I need to convert all the files to 128k bitrate.

Is there a program i can use to batch convert them so i dont have to do them all seperately

Thanks
Daniel

Vince
23-12-2005, 05:01 PM
Just as a matter of interest, Why do you want to change the bitrate?

Trev
23-12-2005, 05:03 PM
Yes the higher the bitrate the better the quality.

Trevor :)

Dannz
23-12-2005, 05:07 PM
Just as a matter of interest, Why do you want to change the bitrate?

Thats the highest the mp3 player i want to play them on will support - it goes "static" if its any higher

Vince
23-12-2005, 05:20 PM
Thats the highest the mp3 player i want to play them on will support - it goes "static" if its any higher

Thanks. Actually I guessed that as soon as I posted my question.

Someday I might remember that if I ask myself the question first, I won't have to ask sombody else.

Dannz
23-12-2005, 05:23 PM
Someday I might remember that if I ask myself the question first, I won't have to ask sombody else.

Hehe

Misty
23-12-2005, 07:20 PM
Hi All
I have a number of MP3's of a number of bitrates in a number of folders.

I need to convert all the files to 128k bitrate.

Is there a program i can use to batch convert them so i dont have to do them all seperately

Thanks
Daniel
I could be wrong - but my understanding is that if you increase the bitrate (by essentially decreasing the compression) then you cannot regain the quality you may have lost when converting from say, WAV. Likewise, if you originally started from MP3 then you also cannot regain ground !
Correct ?
Misty :stare:

Dannz
23-12-2005, 07:22 PM
I could be wrong - but my understanding is that if you increase the bitrate (by essentially decreasing the compression) then you cannot regain the quality you may have lost when converting from say, WAV. Likewise, if you originally started from MP3 then you also cannot regain ground !
Correct ?

Could you rephrase that? :waughh:

bob_doe_nz
23-12-2005, 07:40 PM
Decrease the bitrate, you'll lose the quality.
Once you done, you cant bring the quality back.

imarubberducky
23-12-2005, 07:42 PM
Correct ?
Correct, but I think Daniel is decresing the bitrate here, for compatability reasons, rather than increasing the bitrate for quality

Dannz
23-12-2005, 07:47 PM
Correct, but I think Daniel is decresing the bitrate here, for compatability reasons, rather than increasing the bitrate for quality

Thats right

The_End_Of_Reality
23-12-2005, 08:57 PM
Although it doesn't look like this thread has been answered :p, I use DB Poweramp music converter (http://www.dbpoweramp.com/), it is free to try for a while, not sure exactly how long :confused:

Haze
23-12-2005, 08:59 PM
I've got a completely FREE alternative, called 'BeLight'. I highly recommend it.

http://corecodec.org/frs/download.php/288/BeLight-0.22b8.exe

No registration required as this is closed source freeware.

Misty
23-12-2005, 10:12 PM
I agree entirely with

Daniel F
and
Bob_doe_nz
and
Imarubberducky

and this glass of Jamieson's is just fine !
Misty :rolleyes:

dugimodo
27-12-2005, 12:34 PM
CDEX has batch capabilities and is free. Not sure if it does exactly what you want.

converting MP3 - MP3 is not ideal, the results may be noticeably worse than a file created at the right bitrate to begin with. For best results encode from CD or find a copy at the right bitrate.