PDA

View Full Version : Temp ADSL connection for Linux flaptop

personthingy
23-12-2005, 04:25 PM
Hi peoples, i'm on holiday. The house i am house sitting has broadband, but it is :blush: xtra ADSL.

I connected my flaptops network connection (rj45) to the ADSL modem, a D-link 302G, and using Mepis OS centre - network interfaces, i selected "Use DHCP for IP" on the eth0 tab, clicked "start eth0" on the statis tab. I kinda expected it to go after that, but no. All i did was stuff it up for when i got hame and plugged it back into the cable modem, which has fixed IP. So i changed it back to fixed IP etc when i was back at home bunker, and now that i am out country again, i am trying, unsuccessfully, to connect via this ADSL modem.

The ADSL modem does work for the computer that lives here, hense my ability to post, and there is some activity when iu plug flaptop to it acording to the wee lights on the modem, but the outside world remains out of reach for flaptop.

:confused:

bob_doe_nz
23-12-2005, 04:33 PM
did you restart the computer after applying the changes?

Jen
23-12-2005, 04:34 PM
Have you put in the correct IP as gateway for the router? What about the Nameservers?

personthingy
23-12-2005, 04:42 PM
Have you put in the correct IP as gateway for the router? What about the Nameservers?um, probably not. The only info i could get from the windows machine was
IP addresses: DHCP enabled
gateway-metric: blank
autmatic metric: ticked (whatever that is)

as for nameservers, i've tried both "DHCP for DNS" and my paradise ones. This machine i'm borrowing the connection from has none set.

yes, i resorted to that, but no luck.....

personthingy
23-12-2005, 05:10 PM
problem solved.......
It appears that i have been carrying a faulty network cable :(
I just borrowed the one that fed the machine that is normally here.

This post comes to you from flaptop :)

Thanks all

johnd
26-12-2005, 09:12 PM

Hey bob_doe_nz, this is Linux not Windows! No restart needed. If the GUI interface for changing the settings didn't succeed then (depending on the distribution) something like:

/etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart
service network restart

and the job is done. A restart is seldom needed with Linux.

bob_doe_nz
26-12-2005, 09:41 PM
Hey bob_doe_nz, this is Linux not Windows! ... A restart is seldom needed with Linux.
Well I'm a newbie to linux and dont know diddly when it comes to commands. Plus for my linux lappie a reboot needs to be done to recognise ADSL. :p

personthingy
26-12-2005, 10:00 PM
Well I'm a newbie to linux and dont know diddly when it comes to commands. Plus for my linux lappie a reboot needs to be done to recognise ADSL. :pReally, a reboot is needed? And why do you need to know cammands for this?

I only resorted to rebooting when all else seemed to have failed, and of course it didn't achieve anything as the problem was actually a defective cable.

All i need do is change the settings in Mepis OS Centre thing, and whammo, all new network settings, and i'm away.

It's quite cool really, i just keep my paradise fixed IP settings, and hit server assined, or what ever it's called when connecting to another network, or situations like this when i'm house sitting, and would rather use my own machine. :cool:

personthingy
27-12-2005, 08:15 AM
Mindyou... a reboot can be good if it's going to take all day to find the command needed to restart the unknown service :p

personthingy
02-01-2006, 02:29 PM
Somewhere in my upgrades, the "start eth0" button in mepis OS centre, stopped working (mepis OS centre is the tool for changing network settings etc)

While it still allows me to change settings, i was forced to find the commands in order to save tedious rebooting
root@2[~]# /etc/init.d/networking
Usage: /etc/init.d/networking {start|stop|restart|force-reload}

The one that usually does the trick is
/etc/init.d/networking restart

It must be run as root, of course.
:D