PDA

View Full Version : motherboard only detects 54 gigs

dirtbag
22-12-2005, 10:26 PM
I just put a 120gig hardrive into an older compaq deskpro (p3 700mhz, 256mb) but the bios will only detect it as having 54gigs :(

Is there a work around for this that anybody knows about?
Any help would be much appreciated

bob_doe_nz
22-12-2005, 11:00 PM
The computer doesnt support very large partitions is my guess.

Either see if there is a Bios update for your particular model of system that allows larger disk drives to be properly read. Otherwise bite the bullet and get a more modern system.

Nomad
22-12-2005, 11:29 PM
check the manufacturer's website there maybe a hard drive utility that may work.

I remem, during the days in 95, I got a 1GB HDD they also gave me a maxtor disk. I didn't need it thou cos amazingly my AMD 200 worked with it and before even my 386 worked with that drive! What a gem.

dirtbag
23-12-2005, 12:46 AM
the computer is a compaq deskpro, but no other details at all about it, ill try searching for some bios updates

drcspy
23-12-2005, 05:32 AM
as stated before .........goto th emanufacturers website its almost a certainty that they'll have a free utility to fix that problem. These little programs are usually known as DDO, or dynamic drive overlay programs and they 'fool' the bios into accepting large drive.........lot safer than a bios update too...if you stuff up the bios update your pc is dead .......

Graham L
23-12-2005, 01:38 PM
the computer is a compaq deskpro, but no other details at all about it, ill try searching for some bios updates

There are a lot of Compaq Deskpro models. The first one I saw had a 286 processor. ;)

I assume it's a Pentium, so the model number will probably start with "5". Try adding the CPU speed: e.g. "5266". (You might even find this number in the BIOS setup information page ... F10 when you see the white square at the top right hand corner of the screen.

Do your search for "RomPaq"s

dugimodo
27-12-2005, 12:39 PM
actually it's the hdd manufacturers website you want, although hp may also supply a utility.

all the major HDD manufacturers supply some form of workaround such as the "ontrack" overlay software for free. I believe there's also a not-free version that works with all brands.

Good luck

Speedy Gonzales
27-12-2005, 12:51 PM
Well no, it could be the BIOS.

A few years ago (it may have been last year), I was fixing up an HP.

It didnt know what an 80 GB was lol, until I updated the BIOS. Anything over 8GB it would crash the system with Win 2k. As soon as it got to the main screen.

I knew it was the BIOS, coz it was a brand new hdd, and the system was going previously, until the owner wanted to replace the 8 GB with an 80 GB.

Everything is fine now, with the updated BIOS.

bartsdadhomer
27-12-2005, 01:06 PM
sometimes even using overlay software (which can be buggy itself) can't prevent the system from locking up if the bios can't identify the parameters of your new drive.
i also read somewhere that using overlay hampers the drives performance (probably marginal though)

if this happens and there isn't a suitable bios update available, use a hardware solution by installing a pci ide controller card.

the advantages of a controller card are that it has its own BIOS, will work with the larger hard drive and is pretty much guaranteed to work without risking the death of the machine thru a dud bios upgrade.

Myth
27-12-2005, 10:14 PM
I recently got an old Rompaq based machine going well, by updating the BIOS.
However I had to find the update by using the mobo model number (was a Camaro mobo which when I researched further was a Mitaq mobo with Camaro 'badge' on it)