PDA

View Full Version : Try this before reinstalling Windows

i-gordon
22-12-2005, 08:12 PM
One of my WindowsXP boxes was getting a bit overloaded with junk and running slow so I was about to do a reinstall which I do about once a year anyway, so I decided to try something I have always wanted to do but not wanting to wreck a good system I chickened out. I have a small free program called Eraser http://www.heidi.ie/eraser mainly used for secure deleting of files, but can be used for overwriting unused space. I went to C:drive properties and wrote down the used space bytes then ran the program. The results were astonishing. It took about 3 hours to finish then I looked at the numbers.
Used Space before 4580900864 bytes
Used Space after 3620323328 Bytes
Approx 890 Mb recovered.
I followed this up with a defrag and now the comp is running the best and fastest its been since the last reinstall.
I did this about 10 days ago and so far no ill effects. I was so impressed I did my other WindowsXP box with similar results.
I dont know how safe this is so I wouldnt recomend it unless you have all your important stuff on another partition. Anyway if you are thinking about a reinstall give it a try.

Murray P
22-12-2005, 09:44 PM
:thumbs: