PDA

View Full Version : Maxtor to be bought out??

Myth
22-12-2005, 10:22 AM
Just seen this today, thought i would pass it on..

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051221/bs_nm/maxtor... (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051221/bs_nm/maxtor_seagate_dc)

pctek
22-12-2005, 02:03 PM
Hah. And I bet they stop making actual Maxtor.
Because Maxtor sucks. Note the article says Seagate and WD are the 2 biggest.

gibler
22-12-2005, 02:32 PM
I imagine the horror of Maxtor drives that are labelled Seagate :yuck:

Western Digital are the worst too (as I hear the distant sound of a G5 iMac with a ticking hard drive).

Greven
22-12-2005, 04:55 PM
Most computer people I've met swear by either WD or seagate & think the other brand is complete crap. I've got friends that have had almost every seagate drive they bought die on them & some that have had the same experience with WD. Personally I have only had one WD drive die on me & I haven't had my seagate for long enough to comment on it.

pctek
22-12-2005, 05:42 PM
I imagine the horror of Maxtor drives that are labelled Seagate :yuck:

They wouldn't do that. It would destroy their reputation.

Jen
22-12-2005, 06:10 PM
I've lost three Seagates in quick succession. :xmouth:

My current selection of 6 hard drives are all Western Digitals or Maxtors and they are all still going strong. Still, I know Seagates are good and supposed to be much quieter too.

Talon
22-12-2005, 06:12 PM
Most computer people I've met swear by either WD or seagate & think the other brand is complete crap. I've got friends that have had almost every seagate drive they bought die on them & some that have had the same experience with WD. Personally I have only had one WD drive die on me & I haven't had my seagate for long enough to comment on it.

ive got two 80gb segates and a 120gb segate these are all about 2-3 years old running fine, hell i broke the pins off two of them and they still go.
got a new segate 160gb sata but i havent had that long.
i dont mind wd, looking at getting two 250gb drives when i upgrade to replace the older drivers(i have a heap of games installed for lans)(and linux of course :))

Agent_24
22-12-2005, 06:14 PM
I don't really think any brand is worse than the other... although I personally use maxtor because I have not had any problems with them and I have had failed drives with seagate. Haven't tried WD or samsung, but I've got a couple quantum (fireball :eek: )drives that are still going fine.

Each manufacturer would be equally able to produce a bad batch of drives, and every company is famous for some line of drives they made that were full of failures.

Really, it's a question of personal preference. I don't think any are actually 'the best'

Metla
22-12-2005, 06:53 PM
I primarely handle Seagate drives, so far haven't had asingle unit returned.

As for my personal hodtory, every harddrive I have ever owned has eventually failed, My current horde of Seagates are still going but I dont trust harddrives.....

Elephant
22-12-2005, 07:20 PM
I've lost three Seagates in quick succession. http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/images/smilies/xmouth.gif

My current selection of 6 hard drives are all Western Digitals or Maxtors and they are all still going strong. Still, I know Seagates are good and supposed to be much quieter too.

In my humble opinion I would think that Seagate drives are very good.
If I go to get a new one I will get a five year warranty.

Just installed Fedora Core 4 on a very old Seagate 8.6 Gig HD. About to DUAL boot WinXPSP2 from a Seagate 200Gig H/D and Fedora core 4 installed on the Seagate 8.6 Gig.

I have in fact dual booted but why do I not get a menu as I did when I dual booted Win98 and WinXP?

Fedora core gives me 1 second to choose an O/S. How can I change this?

Maxtor drives are fairly good in my opinion as well.

The number of Western Digital drives I have slung is unbeleivable.

Before I put the 8.6 Gig hard drive into my system I put in a fairly ancient Quantum Bigfoot in there. This still works but is only 2.1 Gigs

PaulD
22-12-2005, 07:22 PM
The theory is that all the factories do a reasonable job, the trick is buying from a distributor that buys a least a container load at a time. Each time the drives get handled reduces their lifespan. That said the maxtor guys probably haven't very well motivated recently.

Greven
22-12-2005, 10:43 PM
I will never get a maxtor for myself. My parents bought a maxtor - It died. SIT uses all maxtor hard drives - half the hard drives in the class died. One person in my class had 3 maxtor hard drives die on him this year & one particularly unlucky friend of mine had his hard drive die a couple of weeks after we took possession of the computers so he has to replace the hard drive himself.
I'll probably end up taking my 40 gig WD out of my computer when the Maxtor in my compaq dies.

Elephant
22-12-2005, 10:50 PM
I primarely handle Seagate drives, so far haven't had asingle unit returned.

As for my personal hodtory, every harddrive I have ever owned has eventually failed, My current horde of Seagates are still going but I dont trust harddrives.....

Which is why we do a backup to Floppy, CD, DVD or another hard drive do we not?

bob_doe_nz
22-12-2005, 10:53 PM
Hmm. My current computer uses a Seagate and my old one was a Quantum Fireball (2001), both still run like a charm.