PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Problems :(

B.M.
22-12-2005, 06:43 AM
Where do I start? :waughh:

Ok, I’ve got 2 physical HDD’s. One is 20 gig partitioned 50/50 into C & D drives.
The other is 10 gig unpartitioned which is E drive.

Now, I normally ghost my C drive to E which has worked no problem up to now. However, C drive has now grown to 3.81gig’s, which requires Ghost to take a second bite of the cherry as it were, because of a DOS limitation of 2 gigs I understand.

Ok, all works fine until we hit the 2 gig limit and we get the message “insert new media”. Supposedly, if you click OK or hit enter at this stage ghost will carry on, but whilst it tries, after a few seconds I get a message “Not enough room on drive “E” which is nonsense as there is 7.83 gig available on drive E. I tried switching to drive D but similar message, not enough room drive “D” that has 2.46gig spare which should be plenty for the 25% left.

What am I doing wrong? Googleing hasn’t turned up an answer.

Ghost 2002 - Win ME - all Fat32 partitions. (The default PC DOS on floppy)
(Hmmm, wonder if that PC Dos could have something to do with it?) :confused:

georgeks
22-12-2005, 07:17 AM
I use Ghost 9.0 and never had any problems, I can even image RAID systems running on controlers not seen in BIOS. Can you move on to version 9.0?

pctek
22-12-2005, 07:31 AM
DOS has nothing to do with it.
How exactly are you ghosting?
I ghost my C: to a folder on my D: by doing the following:
Local - Partition to image
High Compression.

B.M.
22-12-2005, 07:54 AM
pctek,

Are you sure DOS has nothing to do with it :question:

Otherwise I'm doing the same as you.

georgeks,

Not sure what version I'm running other than it came with SystemWorks 2002

From what I can make out, it could be configured from Windows from 2003 on.
However, I'm sure this is the last of the DOS models.

Terry Porritt
22-12-2005, 08:02 AM
I run the same version of Ghost that came with System Works 2002 without the problem described, though usually I'm cloning an 80Gb drive to another 80Gb drive using the 'disk to disk' option.

Not sure why that problem is ocurring.

B.M.
22-12-2005, 10:24 AM
At ease everyone, yes stand easy, problem solved! :D

OK, for those interested there is a problem at the 2 GB DOS level between PC-DOS, MS-DOS from Win ME and MS-DOS from Win 98.

To fix the problem you make yourself a Ghost Boot Disk from a Win98 boot disk. Do NOT use a Win ME boot disk to make the Ghost disk or use the default PC-DOS that comes with Ghost.

Don’t ask me what the technicalities are, but good old Win98 comes to the rescue again. :thumbs:

kingdragonfly
22-12-2005, 10:36 AM
Ghost 2002 - Win ME - all Fat32 partitions.

Here's your problem, "all Fat32 partitions". Unless you're hard-drives are truly ancient, less than 1GB, you should convert to NTFS.

CYaBro
22-12-2005, 10:40 AM
Here's your problem, "all Fat32 partitions". Unless you're hard-drives are truly ancient, less than 1GB, you should convert to NTFS.

Can't if they are running WinME as it only supports FAT / FAT32

Myth
22-12-2005, 12:21 PM
Here's your problem, "all Fat32 partitions". Unless you're hard-drives are truly ancient, less than 1GB, you should convert to NTFS.What a load of [Xmas Cheer]

Win 9x only supports FAT32 file systems (cept 95 original which supports Fat16 of course) and most of these O/S's currently sit on 3 GB+ harddrives

Ive had no issues using Ghost with FAT32, but then I always use a 98 bootdisk

B.M.
22-12-2005, 01:31 PM

You must be kidding :) Struth, most of my programmes were in use before NTFS was thought of and most wouldn't work at all on NTFS. :D

Ghost 2002 requires the target drive to be FAT32 according to what I’ve been reading.

Actually, a mate thought that was a good idea and did he pay. Thought he could just convert back. Oh yeah! :(

kingdragonfly
22-12-2005, 01:40 PM
Dude, he's doing a disk to image ghost, not disk to disk, hence the 2GB limits. Sheesh

pctek
22-12-2005, 01:57 PM
Dude, he's doing a disk to image ghost, not disk to disk, hence the 2GB limits. Sheesh
Yes? And?
So do I. And my C: is 10Gb FAT32 and my D: is 101Gb FAT32.

kingdragonfly
22-12-2005, 01:57 PM
Fat32 has a 4GB limit on a file, in this case an image file, and the old Ghost has a well-known 2GB limit.

pctek
22-12-2005, 01:58 PM
At ease everyone, yes stand easy, problem solved! :D

OK, for those interested there is a problem at the 2 GB DOS level between PC-DOS, MS-DOS from Win ME and MS-DOS from Win 98.

To fix the problem you make yourself a Ghost Boot Disk from a Win98 boot disk. Do NOT use a Win ME boot disk to make the Ghost disk or use the default PC-DOS that comes with Ghost.

I don't see why it should matter.
My Ghost boot disk uses a Win95 boot disk.

B.M.
22-12-2005, 03:46 PM
Sorry I can’t explain it either, but it would appear that you only get into trouble if one of the systems is PC –Dos or Dos from Win ME. Dos from Win95 or Win98 is apparently fine and so it has proved.

I wonder whether the problem lies in the command.com? :cool:

Graham L
22-12-2005, 04:00 PM
2 and 4 G are "boundary numbers" which give problems for 32 bit machines, and their software. (2^32)-1 is "4G", the biggest unsigned 32 bit "word"; (2^31)-1 is "2G", the biggest signed 32 bit "integer".

Once the problem is struck (when W95 was written, disks weren't that big) there are ways of working around it. It's not a fault for software to not handle hardware which doesn't exist when it's written. Or even files of ridiculous sizes like 3.92 GB. :)

W98 boot disks seem to handle the big files. The W95 disk pctek uses successfully could be W95B or C ... whereas an original W95 one might not. So everyone could be right. :thumbs:

pctek
22-12-2005, 05:44 PM
W98 boot disks seem to handle the big files. The W95 disk pctek uses successfully could be W95B or C ... whereas an original W95 one might not. So everyone could be right. :thumbs:
And Win95 doesn't read NTFS either. But Ghost does.
It doesn't matter what you use to boot the PC. Once you have loaded Ghost - Ghost then runs things.

drcspy
22-12-2005, 08:25 PM
yes ghost will only create files of 2gb in size but theres no limit on how many.......it shouldn't stop at ONE file...........it should continue to create .gho files until the image is completed assuming there enuf storage space for the files and in this case there was.........

beama
22-12-2005, 10:56 PM
Use Power Quest (before brought by Symantec) it images ntfs, fat32 and multpile partions (in one image file) and you can restore from dvd, network, slave drive, etc.

B.M.
23-12-2005, 08:43 AM
yes ghost will only create files of 2gb in size but theres no limit on how many.......it shouldn't stop at ONE file...........it should continue to create .gho files until the image is completed assuming there enuf storage space for the files and in this case there was.........

Not quite, only the first 2gb is .gho, (I think) after that the rest seem to become .ghs files and I understand your luck runs out there at 999 of them, which shouldn't cause too many people a lot of inconvenience. :D

From googleing the Internet and reading this thread, it becomes obvious that even internationally, very few have got a real handle on this programme and all its little idiosyncrasy’s.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s a beaut programme, but needs a handbook for dunces like me. ;)

jaimejdv
27-01-2007, 04:40 AM
Hi There, I have the same problem as the begining of this forum, 2GB limitation, even If I split in different Mapped drives. But, my problem is over a network, my destination is my mapped drives in my laptop running XP. I tried the win98 boot diskette but no difference. I can only success my ghost image using the master slave peer to peer option.

Nomad
27-01-2007, 11:30 AM
If C is 20gb split half = 10.
E is 10gig.

10 to 10 should be fine.
2gb limit i personally had issues w/ a old ghost version. I fixed it partitioning it into MANY 2GB drives. After each was full I browse and dump it in a diff partition.

How to fix it? Get the newer version of Ghost.
The newer versions will also support NTFS as well from a full disk to full disk (partition regardless), the older version has this 2GB limit and also for NTFS it can only do partition to partition, you cannot do full drive to full drive for NTFS.

Not sure on what other limitation it has on bro's PC, could be issue with SATA, maybe WinXP NTFS. I think its the latter cos we some how managed to make a ghost file for it and pop on DVD so it must not be of SATA cos that PC only has one HDD.

Nomad
27-01-2007, 11:31 AM
Hi There, I have the same problem as the begining of this forum, 2GB limitation, even If I split in different Mapped drives. But, my problem is over a network, my destination is my mapped drives in my laptop running XP. I tried the win98 boot diskette but no difference. I can only success my ghost image using the master slave peer to peer option.

Partition it and run it in DOS. I have a older version. Worked for me but since I have now got Acronis True Image works a treat in Windows.

Nomad
27-01-2007, 11:35 AM
Use a windows 95/98 bootdisk or start up disk and then start up Ghost.

jaimejdv
29-01-2007, 04:37 AM
I don't understand, It's not the first time I read about that "W98 boot solution" THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE is even worse, because al least with the ME boot I can see my FAT32 Local Disk

Nomad
29-01-2007, 09:03 AM
I don't understand, It's not the first time I read about that "W98 boot solution" THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE is even worse, because al least with the ME boot I can see my FAT32 Local Disk

Does not matter because you are not using DOS utilities. You are using Norton Ghost to see and execute commands.