PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005

Havion
21-12-2005, 09:40 PM
I'm building a new PC and was wondering why i can't find Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 retail anywhere to buy... Do I need to have 2003 then upgrade or can I just buy 2005 and install it to my new hard drive?

Speedy Gonzales
21-12-2005, 09:47 PM
They sell it down the road (http://www.edencomputers.co.nz/p.aspx?338922)

You may need the right computer system to install it. Or buy it.

Havion
21-12-2005, 09:52 PM
Thanks but what would i need to use it? I bought a tuner.

Speedy Gonzales
21-12-2005, 10:00 PM
This (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP_Media_Center_Edition) might explain why there's no retail version.

You can still record with a tuner, if it came with a program.

Havion
21-12-2005, 10:06 PM
If I can use the turner to record whats so special about media? lol Oh and what year is the last retail version of media?

Speedy Gonzales
21-12-2005, 10:14 PM
Pass wouldnt have a clue whats special about it. I've never used it.

Its just different from other versions of XP, as shown on the Wikipedia site, I posted.

And it most probably lets u program online / use EPG or something. Which I dont think NZ has anyway.

Nero 7 has a similar screen (as it shows on the Wikipedia link I posted) in Nero Home. You can also use a tuner in Nero 7, using Nero Home.

Jen
21-12-2005, 11:34 PM
You can buy WinXP MCE OEM versions easily enough - Example (http://www.ascent.co.nz/ProductSpecification.aspx?ItemID=342192)

The Service roll-up 2 seems to be the latest version. I believe the media software can be a bit picky about the hardware, so if you want to build a XP MCE machine then make sure you check out what brands/models of TV tuners, DVD writers etc are certified compatible with that OS.

Havion
22-12-2005, 12:22 AM
Thanks for the replies. I have another question...say I have 2 hard drives in my PC, could I have Windows media on one and Windows Pro on the other?

Metla
22-12-2005, 12:33 AM
Windows Media Centre is pretty much identical to XP pro, It even says it is XP Pro when its installing :p

The media centre component is just an add on, the OS to use is no different untill you launch the media centre component, and...uh.... I found it lacklustre, Its just a stupidly simple interface designed for those that get hopelessly lost after go into their "My documents" folder and give up.

The software with my TV card is far better in my opinion.

kingdragonfly
22-12-2005, 10:14 AM
I've been looking at the MCE for some time, and I can't find anything that distinguishes it from something you could do yourself.

Not to dump on Microsoft, but let's face it, if it's Microsoft, it's cr*p.

You may want to invest in a Hauppauge card. They're a little more pricey, but most (all?) include a hardware based MPEG encoder. The infra-read blaster included is also great for controlling a Sky decoder, to change channels.

pixeldust
22-12-2005, 10:37 AM
Not to dump on Microsoft, but let's face it, if it's Microsoft, it's cr*p.

And that's not dumping on Microsoft? :p