PDA

View Full Version : What brand graphics card?

zahmad
21-12-2005, 08:34 PM
I know that they don't differ too much between different brands, but which one usually has the best overall package.

I hear Leadtek and Galaxy and Gigabyte are pretty good.

Please forward me to the right direction. :)

What do you think?

Nomad
21-12-2005, 09:39 PM
lol.

Brands don't matter even if you look at stats via testing, one that i am referring to is one from pc world mag. Things brands can provide you is diff plugs at the back of the card, ie.. two DVI or video in or video out (tv out) etc. Plus software packages, I heard that MSI is v good, giving you 14 CDs or such, with 3 full version games the rest are demo's. Others give you more video cables. Or a bigger fan on the video card.

I don't need 2 DVI or video in or outs. So give me the cheapest one lol... the CDs I can buy my own at the shops.

For yourself to look at manufacturers links can be v fun, that you should enjoy. This info is at ur fingertips. Instead of asking this Q, you could of already gotten the answer. Go to www.pp.co.nz and look under video cards PCI Express, its categorised by chipsets and then it list the different brands. You can open up each one u like and then click onto the manufacturer link. Hey even saves you google. Or likewise, www.ascent.co.nz

lol.

pctek
22-12-2005, 08:07 AM
Brands do matter. Apart from the fact that ASUS graphics cards offer a 3 year warranty there is differences in coolers and stuff as well.
And the Galaxys are noisy.

maverickoc
22-12-2005, 08:12 AM
and don't forget that different brands offer different packages e.g. an MSI sometimes comes with up to 14cd's worth of stuff, while asus cards (the expensive ones) include gr8 warrantys (as above), some come with free webcams and loads of cables- In real world terms there isn't going to be much difference between a ASUS 6800GT and a MSI 6800GT unless they have way off the wack specs. :-)

Albert
22-12-2005, 04:01 PM
Well Zahmad it depends on whether you want performance from it for say gaming hardcore with the latest games or just one that's cheap and will do the job. If it's gaming, I don't want to cliche but look at these:
-NVIDIA GeForce 7800GTX, offering a faster than acceptible frame rate at higher resolutions plus the filtering of polygon textures (the basis of the shape forming in a graphics card) for improved graphics quality plus an undetectable drop in frame rate.
-NVIDIA Geforce 7800GT, the budget version offering equal (maybe not as flashy) performance at lower price. Note only for PCI Express slots.
Of course you could just research these things, no offence, cos reviewers wil be more to the point on these matters.

Greven
22-12-2005, 05:11 PM
the budget cards are really annoying - they always use DVI-D instead of DVI-i so you can't use dual VGA monitors. How many people buying a cheap graphics card are going to splash out on a DVI monitor?

It is impossible to find a cheap low profile video card that you can use a VGA monitor with.

Battleneter
22-12-2005, 07:17 PM
Brands don't matter "Much". 80%ish of card are reference board exact or near exact copies of the reference designs released by Nvidia and ATI. Some models are released with better cooling solutions than the reference models, however unless you are overclocking it should not be a major concern. Warranty's differ greatly, however many have a 2 and 3 year warranty so I would shop via price and at least 2 year warranty.

As for the model, no one can offer you any sensible advice until you tell us what you plan to run on this card, standard desktop apps or high end games?. And what is your budget?

Quad 7800GTX SLI is always nice :P

Greven
22-12-2005, 10:32 PM
Quad? What system can run 4 7800s?

Nomad
22-12-2005, 10:56 PM
Asus has it but isn't it 2000 or 1000 unit restricted for media right now?
tomshardware.com had article on it

Elephant
22-12-2005, 10:58 PM
I know that they don't differ too much between different brands, but which one usually has the best overall package.

I hear Leadtek and Galaxy and Gigabyte are pretty good.

Please forward me to the right direction. http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/images/smilies/smile.gif

What do you think?

Get two of these.

http://www.3dlabs.com/products/product.asp?prod=304

Bye

pctek
23-12-2005, 07:08 AM
Quad? What system can run 4 7800s?
He meant Dual-GPU 7800s running in SLI.
But better than that - Giagabyte has a 4 slot SLI board so you could put 4 Dual-Gpu 7800s in it and have in effect 8.

The_End_Of_Reality
23-12-2005, 08:03 AM
He meant Dual-GPU 7800s running in SLI.
But better than that - Giagabyte has a 4 slot SLI board so you could put 4 Dual-Gpu 7800s in it and have in effect 8. but that won't make much difference after a while when the bottleneck shifts from the GPU to the CPU