PDA

View Full Version : TV Tuner or Video Capture Card?

The_End_Of_Reality
21-12-2005, 08:02 PM
I live in an area where the only way to get TV is Sky Digital, (free to air), I am wanting to replace my VCR so to speak with my computer and was wondering which would be better to get TV Tuner or Video Capture Card?

Also what is the difference between these?

Speedy Gonzales
21-12-2005, 08:10 PM
Some TV tuners are tuners and video capture devices.

Some tuners (like the Leadtek/Winfast tuners), have video inputs, so u can record from external sources (ie: VCR's).

The_End_Of_Reality
21-12-2005, 08:14 PM
So what do you think will be better?

Are TV Tuners able to change the channel on sky?

Speedy Gonzales
21-12-2005, 08:17 PM
Most tuners dont give u a sky signal. They dont decode Sky.

BUT if you says its free, some tuners (like the Winfast/Leadtek ones), also come with a remote and a cable that u plug into the back of the cable, so u can change channels with the remote.

And it may or may not work, unless u have a dish? Since its digital.

Even with a tuner.

The_End_Of_Reality
21-12-2005, 08:29 PM
So if I just got a Capture Card will that still be able to record the signal into my TV, (split the incomming signal into 2) have one going to PC and one TV?

Speedy Gonzales
21-12-2005, 08:36 PM
It'll be better, if u get a videocard with video out. If u use, or get a TV tuner.

So you can connect it to a TV.

Do you know anyone else who has free to air digital sky??

And doesn't use a dish? Or need a decoder?

I would find this out first. Otherwise it'll be a waste of time / and money, getting a tuner or a capture card (which may or may not work, by itself).

The_End_Of_Reality
21-12-2005, 08:43 PM
What I am trying to say is I have got Sky Digital, but I want to record from it, replace my VCR if you will.

It doesn't have to be able to change the channel, I can do that with the sky remote.

Just record the same signal that goes into my TV, IE program

Speedy Gonzales
21-12-2005, 08:52 PM
Ok then.

Well you could either get a tuner since it usually comes with a program (like the leadtek tuners), which will let u record incoming sound/video.

Thru CVBS or the S-video connections.

Im not too sure about video capture cards, and whether there are programs for standalone video capture cards.

Just as long as the decoder has something like S-VHS connections and RCA connections. (or both). It'd be easier if the TV has RCA / or S-video on it too. Then you can get s-video and RCA plugs/cables and plug them into the back of the decoder, and connect the RCA/s-video to the TV and the tuner.

The_End_Of_Reality
21-12-2005, 09:04 PM
I was looking at the Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-350 (http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_pvr350.html)
This has the arial and S-Video, no RCA though, and comes with all software, what do you think about this?

Speedy Gonzales
21-12-2005, 09:40 PM
Yup that tuner looks ok to me.

What outputs has the decoder got?

RCA and s-video?

Does the TV have RCA and s-video, or just RCA?

pine-o-cleen
21-12-2005, 09:49 PM
Sky decoders don't come with s-video outputs, so that card would be no good. They only have rca or scart.

The_End_Of_Reality
22-12-2005, 06:33 AM
What outputs has the decoder got?

RCA and s-video?

Does the TV have RCA and s-video, or just RCA? RCA and the arial plugs into my VRC and then my TV from the Sky.

But I was looking at the jaycar catalogue and I can get an RCA to S-Video adapter

Sky decoders don't come with s-video outputs, so that card would be no good. They only have rca or scart. Yes I have noticed that, but as above I can get an RCA to S-Video adapter

kingdragonfly
22-12-2005, 10:23 AM
I was looking at the Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-350

The 250 and 350 are being discontinued; I thought it was already off the market. Basically Hauppauge found a less expensive source for the MPEG encoders and decoders.

Having said that, I think Hauppauge produces the best MPEG encoders on the market, and is highly supported. There's a number of software manufacturers that specify Hauppauge as the standard card.

The tuner has very little use here in New Zealand, since most people don't use over-the-air TV; most use Sky or Telstra.

Hauppauge's included Infra-red "IR" blaster can be used to change channels on Sky's or Telstra's decoders. Basically it memorizes the IR codes from your remote control, and "blasts" (plays) the IR codes back on command.

Most (all?) personal video recorder "PVR" software supports IR blasters, either directly or indirectly via DOS shells.

kingdragonfly
22-12-2005, 10:25 AM
Sky decoders don't come with s-video outputs, so that card would be no good. They only have rca or scart.

Actually Sky have two models, the one you're using, and another with an s-video out. You just have to ask when they do the install.

By the way, Dick Smith sells SCART to S-video conventor, which is superior to RCA.