PDA

View Full Version : New DVD burner

Thomas01
21-12-2005, 04:50 PM
Dick Smiths - just down the road have a DVD burner for $128 which looks pretty good. Most times when I have bought from DSE I have been very pleased and if not, then they have returned my money with no comments except an apology. But this burner does not appear to be the AZUS recomended in the Sept issue of PCWorld. I have no experience of DVD burners and will be installing it myself so am anxious to avoid any problems etc. Anybody out there got experience with this DSE device?
All comments welcome.
Tom

Jen
21-12-2005, 04:55 PM
Is this the DVD writer you are referring to?

CYBER DRIVE DVD ReWriter DX162 (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/XH4140)

Metla
21-12-2005, 04:57 PM
Thats not a good price for a DVD Burner, You can get top brand devices for less.

Personally the DSE Cyber Drives make me cringe.(that translates to mouth off in disgust)

snoopy
21-12-2005, 05:02 PM
I have used one of those CyberDrive DVD drives for nearly a year, no problems.

Also have 2 x CyberDrive CDR/RW drives ( 1 x 16x , 1 x 52x) and have no problems with them either.

As always, your mileage can vary, but I can't complain.

ps. No, I don't work for DSE....... LOL :D

bartsdadhomer
21-12-2005, 05:04 PM
As the list member said, it's way over priced and an inferior brand
Go for an LG, Liteon or a Pioneer
Checkout online retailers such as Ascent and also do a search for DVD burners here at PF1, the merits of variuous brands has been discussed much in the past round here

Thomas01
22-12-2005, 09:15 AM
Jen - yes this is the one.
Metla. Your comment sounds like my view of Ford cars - I cringe at the thought of owning one - but its irrational. To be honest I have only owned one Ford - very beaten up and way past its use by date and still kept going. I have absolutely no reason for my daft view of Fords. I wonder about your view of the Cyber drive - I am really interested - could you supply actual details/reasons etc why you dislike them. I took your advice and got onto Trademe where there is a new ASUS for auction.
I think I might wait now until the January sales time.
Tom

Metla
22-12-2005, 09:40 AM
I never advised Trademe?

Hell, Anyone can and do sell ASUS DVD drives fill retail at less then the DSE jobby.

As for my dislike for the DSE brands, Its built in, Hardwired contempt for all that comes from DSE. Unfounded in a lot of cases perhaps, but thats the way I am.

As for the drive in particuler, Its just an unknown dirt cheap brand from a company (Cyber Drive) with a mostly broken and crap looking website. You can always buy well known, highly regarded, Tested and reviewed big brand gear for less.

A few of these Cyber Drives turned up on a suppliers price list a few months back, at the price they had on them they were obviously dumping them in large numbers. I didn't touch them then even though if I had I could have made more money on them then other brands.

Also, The always eloquent Allen Cottrel ripped them a a new orrifice on these boards a few months back and he is as much a fan of DSE gear as I am against it.

If I had a comp with a Cyber Drive installed I would be making immedate plans to replace it with something worthy of its spot.....

Greven
22-12-2005, 12:36 PM
I've got a cyberdrive CD writer that has lasted me about 4 years (its in my parent's computer now & still going strong). My friend has a cyber drive CD writer that didn't even last a year.

Greg
22-12-2005, 01:34 PM
I never advised Trademe?

Hell, Anyone can and do sell ASUS DVD drives fill retail at less then the DSE jobby.

As for my dislike for the DSE brands, Its built in, Hardwired contempt for all that comes from DSE. Unfounded in a lot of cases perhaps, but thats the way I am.

As for the drive in particuler, Its just an unknown dirt cheap brand from a company (Cyber Drive) with a mostly broken and crap looking website. You can always buy well known, highly regarded, Tested and reviewed big brand gear for less.

A few of these Cyber Drives turned up on a suppliers price list a few months back, at the price they had on them they were obviously dumping them in large numbers. I didn't touch them then even though if I had I could have made more money on them then other brands.

Also, The always eloquent Allen Cottrel ripped them a a new orrifice on these boards a few months back and he is as much a fan of DSE gear as I am against it.

If I had a comp with a Cyber Drive installed I would be making immedate plans to replace it with something worthy of its spot.....Could you please elaborate on the above?

:D Just kidding!

Nomad
22-12-2005, 03:17 PM
These are Wellington stores. They are pretty good, free courier. DVD Writer a good one can be had for $95 incl softwares some cases. Lite On. www.pp.co.nz www.ascent.co.nz

I had a DSE one before, 24x CDR. Spin fast enof to be so noisy and then suddenly didnt work. That one was a Diamond Data.