PDA

View Full Version : Free virtual memory.

Scouse
21-12-2005, 01:22 PM
Hi Folks. Running XP Pro - all up to date. Wife obtained a teach-yourself language disk which is designed for Windows 95/98/NT/2000. Loaded to the hard drive and ready to go..... Response is "This program requires at least 3MB of free virtual memory to run." and declines to run. A change of compatability does not help. Any ideas?

Rob99
21-12-2005, 01:26 PM
Have you tried the change compatibility option on the install file, you will need to uninstall and reinstall to try this.

Scouse
21-12-2005, 02:05 PM
Thanks for your prompt response Rob. Unfortunately the uninstall, reinstall and compatability change made no difference. Same response.

pixeldust
21-12-2005, 02:08 PM
Have you tried increasing virtual memory (page file size)?

Right click My Computer
Go to Properties, then Advanced
Click on Settings for Performance
Click on Advanced tab
Select Change under Virtual Memory
Increase custom size

kingdragonfly
21-12-2005, 03:44 PM
You don't change the compatibility mode on the *install* program, but on the program itself.

Right-click the Start button, and choose "Explore"

In your start menu, find the shortcut to the program. It may be under "All users".

Right-click on it, and choose properties.

Go to the "Shortcut" tab and press the "Find Target..." button

This should have the program hightlighted, probably with an "EXE" extension.

Under the "compatibility" tab, check the box "Run this program in compatibility mode for"

"Windows 98"

Metla
21-12-2005, 03:46 PM
They have tried that, As suggested the next step is to make the installer run in compatibility mode.

Its a tried and tested method for getting difficult programs to run.

Rob99
21-12-2005, 03:47 PM
You don't change the compatibility mode on the *install* program, but on the program itself.It's was worth a crack, seeing they have already done similar to what you described

WhiteWolf4
21-12-2005, 04:07 PM
Hi Folks. Running XP Pro - all up to date. Wife obtained a teach-yourself language disk which is designed for Windows 95/98/NT/2000. Loaded to the hard drive and ready to go..... Response is "This program requires at least 3MB of free virtual memory to run." and declines to run. A change of compatibility does not help. Any ideas?

Hate to say this but XP's compatibility mode sucks and at best hardly ever works (don't blame me blame Bill G )
One way to run it is to run 2 OS's XP and 98 as most of the older programs are DOS based, where XP isn't.
Running 98 on some sate of the art PC's can lead to having to D/L all sorts of drives to get it to run correctly, thats not fun .

Might be better to buy a pc running 98 they are cheap, however! getting your system (long as you have a good size HD) to run 2 OS's is great learning

godfather
21-12-2005, 04:32 PM
This subject is done to death if you care to check on Google, many applications have the same issue and the "fix" appears to be common (adjusting the page file/ virtual memory size)

Typical instructions are at this site, plus about 4,000 others.
http://www.topics-ent.com/HelpDesk/issue_view.asp?ID=13

Scouse
21-12-2005, 09:52 PM
Thank you folks for your kind attention. No success so far, even thoiugh I have worked my way through the suggestions and others from Google. I eventually cranked up the old '98 box which I had manual switched to the XP's screen, keyboard and mouse and autoswitched to the printer until a month or two ago. The offending programme runs sweet on that. I'll leave the two boxes running together again for a while. Thanks again and Merry Christmas to all.

Graham L
22-12-2005, 03:02 PM
It's quite simple. The Bush boy doesn't like France, so don't expect XP to help you to learn French. :thumbs: