PDA

View Full Version : How to set up a website?

Beemer
21-12-2005, 11:18 AM
I am in the process of registering a domain name and want to set up a website very quickly. While not computer illiterate, I certainly admit to having NO skills regarding website development! I have the book "Beginners' Guide to your own website" but I'm not that confident I can do it myself.

I don't want anything too elaborate, basically a home page, a contacts page, a services page and possibly some testimonials from clients. One small logo (a phrase inside an oval shape) and text - maybe photos at a later stage but not right now.

Any idea of cost (I'm not rich!) and who offers this kind of service? I am based in Levin.

Greg
21-12-2005, 11:33 AM
If you are happy to pay $110.00 per year I can set it up for you today. Just send me a private message or email me with your contact details and we can get started.

fatkat at gmail.com

bob_doe_nz
21-12-2005, 11:36 AM
There are a couple of free templates that might seem suited to what you want over at

http://andreasviklund.com/templates/

Its what my homepage uses at the moment

Sultan_Emerr
21-12-2005, 11:47 AM
https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/website.asp?se=%2B&ci=416

personthingy
21-12-2005, 11:50 AM
I am in the process of registering a domain name and want to set up a website very quickly. While not computer illiterate, I certainly admit to having NO skills regarding website development! I have the book "Beginners' Guide to your own website" but I'm not that confident I can do it myself.

I don't want anything too elaborate, basically a home page, a contacts page, a services page and possibly some testimonials from clients. One small logo (a phrase inside an oval shape) and text - maybe photos at a later stage but not right now.

Any idea of cost (I'm not rich!) and who offers this kind of service? I am based in Levin.Your ISP probably offers you "free" webspace with your account. The price is right, well sort of. You can point your domain directly to that.

Personally, i have my website hosted by www.registerdirect.co.nz Hosting is $100/year, which although not the cheapest deal, i have no complaints after years of using this service, and it hosted in this country. Therefore i continue to use it and recomend it to anyone wishing to have a basic website.

stu161204
21-12-2005, 12:15 PM
If you are happy to pay $60 that includes a year web hosting. I can set it up for you today. Just send me a private message or email me with your contact details and we can get going

stuartw77 [at] hotmail [dot] com

or stuartw[at] webstarters [dot]co [dot] nz

Greg
21-12-2005, 12:27 PM
stuartw77 [at] hotmail [dot] comAnybody who still uses a Hotmail address these days has to be a bit of a suspect operator! :D :thumbs:

stu161204
21-12-2005, 12:29 PM
Anybody who still uses a Hotmail address these days has to be a bit of a suspect operator! :D

Its no better using gmail :D

Metla
21-12-2005, 12:30 PM
If you send me $200 consultation fees I can help you decide between Greg and Stu....

Greg
21-12-2005, 12:31 PM
If you send me $200 consultation fees I can help you decide between Greg and Stu....heh heh

Just to spite Stu I'll do it for $35.00 :D

stu161204
21-12-2005, 12:36 PM
heh heh

Just to spite Stu I'll do it for $35.00 :D

LOL :D

As you can see write-click both me & Greg need the work so chose who every you what :)

Rob99
21-12-2005, 12:46 PM
SPAMMERS

here (http://www.yellowpages.co.nz/Pages/Search/Results/0,2878,a6001_b6222_c9267_l6661_m0,00.html?business Name=&category=Web+Site+Development&keyword=&pageNum=1&street=)

If you ask me nicly I'll do it for FREE!!

Greg
21-12-2005, 12:58 PM
Spammer.

If he gives me an ugly look I'll pay him to let me do it :lol:

maccrazy
21-12-2005, 12:58 PM
I am in the process of registering a domain name and want to set up a website very quickly. While not computer illiterate, I certainly admit to having NO skills regarding website development! I have the book "Beginners' Guide to your own website" but I'm not that confident I can do it myself.You may find it helpful to get a WYSIWYG editor like Adobe GoLive or Dreamweaver. Both have a 30-day free trial I believe. Nothing beats hand coding, but beginners often find it easier to use a web design application.

Any idea of cost (I'm not rich!) and who offers this kind of service? I am based in Levin.I would be happy to put something together for you for free if you would allow me include it in my portfolio. Feel free to PM me if you are interested.

You will also need a web host to store your site. TJR Networks (http://www.tjrnetworks.com) (Kiwi) and Myacen (http://www.myacen.com) (Australian) are both good options. :)

Graham L
21-12-2005, 01:05 PM
Perhaps someone should set up[ a website to run Dutch Auctions like this one. :cool:

It might be hard to collect the commissions when the price gets below $0. :thumbs:

Rob99
21-12-2005, 01:10 PM
You may find it helpful to get a WYSIWYG editor like Adobe GoLive or Dreamweaver. Both have a 30-day free trial I believe. Nothing beats hand coding, but beginners often find it easier to use a web design application.Or NVU (http://www.nvu.com/) is free.

And Greg, for an ugly look you will pay to work..., will give you a call next year, I might put in a quote to redesign microsoft.com for the new Vista OS....

Greg
21-12-2005, 01:17 PM
And Greg, for an ugly look you will pay to work..., will give you a call next year, I might put in a quote to redesign microsoft.com for the new Vista OS....That's a bit cheeky - for a project of that size I'd need at least an ugly look plus a couple of harsh words!

Rob99
21-12-2005, 01:19 PM
That's a bit cheeky - for a project of that size I'd need at least an ugly look plus a couple of harsh words!I will smite you if you dont do what your blimen told :D

Greg
21-12-2005, 01:32 PM
Ah well, I'm out of the bidding if he wants it done today - my missus bought me a lime tree as a present so I'm off to get some fertiliser and do some planting and get away from this PC for a bit.

Beemer
21-12-2005, 02:00 PM
Man, a girl goes to physio and then grabs a bite to eat and comes back to find offers of help flying left right and centre! Thanks to all of you who have replied - I have not responded to anyone yet, as I thought I'd give you a bit more information and it may narrow the cut!

Being a total novice and time being of the essence (moving fast to protect a trade mark), I have registered my domain name and I did it through Paradise ($5 every 28 days) as that is my ISP. This may or may not have been the right move, but it's done now. I have no idea what happens now with regard to hosting - can Paradise do it for me?

I'm a journalist so am happy to write all the content myself (apart from the testimonials - I'll let the clients do that!), so what I need help with is the actual setting up and maintenance, etc. All I have at this stage is the domain name and a code that allows me to make changes to it. I have NOT THE FIRST IDEA where to go from here!

Not wishing to sound tight, but the free offer in exchange for using it in a portfolio (hey, it's more free advertising!) is sounding pretty good to me!

Greg
21-12-2005, 02:08 PM
This may or may not have been the right move, but it's done now. I have no idea what happens now with regard to hosting - can Paradise do it for me?
Yeah that wasn't the best move. And yes, Paradise can do it for you but again you'll be paying OTT. If money is a constraint it may be worth your while checking with them to see if you're contracted to their domain name hosting. I doubt it.

Anyway, if you want to have a non-obligation chat about it later, as said send me your contact details or email me and I'll give you my phone #. I'm happy to give you some free impartial advice. And in the end if you want to use someone like myself I can provide some great easy-to-contact referees and testimonials.

pixeldust
21-12-2005, 02:18 PM
You should have also received 10MB free webspace with Paradise if you have a broadband or ADSL account with them. If you call them, you can ask them to have that space linked to your new domain name. I don't think $5 a month is too bad. I have my site (http://www.aboutblank.co.nz) hosting with Paradise and don't even notice the payment each month. But then I'm lazy :)

Don't let these guys put you off designing your own website - the WYSIWYG editor is a good idea - if you know how to use Microsoft Word, for instance, you can use Frontpage with few hassles. Using the Frontpage page editor is quite similar to creating a Word document, and doesn't take much technical know how. I wouldn't, however, recommend Macromedia Dreamweaver (despite the fact that it's a great program, and I use it myself) - because it'd be silly for you to pay $600-700 for a license, considering you are only requiring a basic site.

I'd really recommend having a look at some tutorials on building a basic site in Frontpage, and have a go yourself. It's great to know how to do these things and will mean the upkeep on your site is going to be a lot easier than if you have someone do it for you. And if you get stuck with any aspects of building a website, you can always come here and ask for help :)

pctek
21-12-2005, 04:18 PM
Rob99 does webpage design for a living. Here:
http://www.silvertech.co.nz/index.html

He'll do a nice professional looking site.

stu161204
21-12-2005, 04:20 PM
Man, a girl goes to physio and then grabs a bite to eat and comes back to find offers of help flying left right and centre! Thanks to all of you who have replied - I have not responded to anyone yet, as I thought I'd give you a bit more information and it may narrow the cut!

:), Thatís PressF1 for you :D

[QUOTE]Being a total novice and time being of the essence (moving fast to protect a trade mark), I have registered my domain name and I did it through Paradise ($5 every 28 days) as that is my ISP. This may or may not have been the right move, but it's done now.

As Greg said that wasn't the best move, but it should do for now & you ** should ** be able to move it to some one else at a latter dateÖ.

I have no idea what happens now with regard to hosting - can Paradise do it for me?

Yep, but I donít think they are the best, but they can do for now in till you get your ideas etc.. In order

I'm a journalist so am happy to write all the content myself (apart from the testimonials - I'll let the clients do that!), so what I need help with is the actual setting up and maintenance, etc. All I have at this stage is the domain name and a code that allows me to make changes to it. I have NOT THE FIRST IDEA where to go from here!

I am also happy to a non-obligation chat to you about it later, as I said send me your contact details or email me & I will give you my contact info

If you want to use someone like myself I can provide a Portfolio of my work :)

Not wishing to sound tight, but the free offer in exchange for using it in a portfolio (hey, it's more free advertising!) is sounding pretty good to me!

I can do that too :)

stu161204
21-12-2005, 04:22 PM
How many web site designers do I have to compete with here?? :D :p

(& I thought I was about to get my first real client here)

Myth
21-12-2005, 04:29 PM
How many web site designers do I have to compete with here?? :D :p

(& I thought I was about to get my first real client here)Lol.. welllll....

Nuh, I have dabbled with Dreamweaver before, and will probably have another play with it next year, but IM not about to do sites for a living (unless I discover I have a natural knack at it)
I also have Flash lying round here somewhere, must learn that too one day

Greg
21-12-2005, 04:36 PM
If you want to use someone like myself I can provide a Portfolio of my work :)
C'mon Stuart... how many of my sentences do you have to copy almost word for word? :p

Anyway, I'm not desperate for work so I replied to her PM that someone like yourself may be better for budget design stuff.

Mary
21-12-2005, 04:39 PM
oooooooook, thanks guys I think that's enough. How about you PM write_click and she can contact you if interested.

Cheers :)

quarry
21-12-2005, 04:52 PM
man some of these guys are desperate, i wouldnt do anything free, no matter what - this job is worth at least $20+gst for 5 years hosting, +$100 insurance, +Metla's fee, $25 for my new mouse, $1300 eos 350d, $6 socks at the warehouse...

Rob99
21-12-2005, 04:58 PM
man some of these guys are desperate, i wouldnt do anything free, no matter what Desperate...maybe, but not for more work. :D

But its xmas time, time for recieving gifts, so my offer stands till Friday, after then I'll be away for a few weeks.

stu161204
21-12-2005, 05:09 PM
oooooooook, thanks guys I think that's enough. How about you PM write_click and she can contact you if interested.

Sorry Mary :o, I wont do this again....

man some of these guys are desperate,

Yep, I am.

stu161204
21-12-2005, 05:11 PM
C'mon Stuart... how many of my sentences do you have to copy almost word for word? :p

Sorry Greg :o

Anyway, I'm not desperate for work so I replied to her PM that someone like yourself may be better for budget design stuff.

Beemer
21-12-2005, 05:14 PM
Boys, play nicely please! I thought only journalists begged for work... :D

I'm not necessarily looking for something for nothing, I just don't want to spend up large (I have seen prices of over $500 for setting something up) and I want to be able to carry out the maintenance myself.

As for hosting, I will take advice on that as I am currently with Paradise and find it easier to deal with what I know - which, admittedly, is very little!

Graham L
21-12-2005, 05:24 PM
Pick the one who sends you the best flowers. These guys are desperate. :thumbs:

maccrazy
21-12-2005, 05:31 PM
man some of these guys are desperate, i wouldnt do anything free, no matter what -

Pick the one who sends you the best flowers. These guys are desperate.
It doesn't sound like a huge job really, and to be honest, I place much more value in boosting the size of my portfolio so in the future I can get bigger jobs rather than a small quantity of money right now. :)

Beemer
21-12-2005, 05:32 PM
Pick the one who sends you the best flowers. These guys are desperate. :thumbs:

Ah, flowers, in that case, my address is...!

Rob99
21-12-2005, 05:37 PM
Content management website!!!.....aaahh crap.... never mind, still in the mood for giving, to a point, can set up a CMS site free as long as you host with me.

Did someone mention flowers (http://www.photo.net/photo/pcd1143/visby-flowers-82.4.jpg).

Metla
21-12-2005, 05:41 PM
http://pictures.exploitz.com/Dead-flowers-photo-Buenos-Aires--_srcgpx10001x15072x1ba33a503.jpg

stu161204
21-12-2005, 06:25 PM
Good luck write-click with finding a web site designer :) & I Hope you find one that suits you the best..

I did not realise how many there where on PressF1

personthingy
21-12-2005, 07:43 PM
Personally i'd move your domain registration from paradise ASAP, you'd get a better deal elseware. All you need do is point the domain to http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/your-user-name, a service that most domain registrants will gladly do.

There you go, free hosting, and you control it, plus if you move it to something else later, its an easy transition. You may find that paradise will charge you for hosting as well if the domain is registered with them, i saw something like that while reading all that they offer.

A friend of mine has done that with www.theresa.net.nz
The domain simply points to her paradise space at
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/theresan/ where she has a simple one page site. Of course with 10 MB of webspace available on her dial-up account, it could be a lot more complex, but she chooses to just have this.

stu161204
21-12-2005, 07:44 PM
Well Done Greg on getting the job :) doing her site for $35.00 must have been a good deal!

Good luck write-click :)

Beemer
21-12-2005, 11:46 PM
Well Done Greg on getting the job :) doing her site for $35.00 must have been a good deal!

Good luck write-click :)

Sorry to disappoint everyone, but no deals have been struck as yet! I have been contacted by several people and I am in contact with a couple to figure out what is the best deal for ME. These two have both been very helpful in terms of explaining some of the ins and outs of hosting, etc. but I haven't made up my mind what I am going to do yet. Paradise does offer web hosting, but as mentioned by others, it may not be the best option for me. I also don't have the funds to spend a lot of money right now, and I am looking at the best long term option too.

Trust me, when I decide what is best for me, the person I get to do the work will be the first to know!

stu161204
22-12-2005, 12:21 AM
:( :o :blush: oh my there goes my chances!!

I fell very stupid now

Good luck any way write-click!