PDA

View Full Version : How / When to Burn to CD & Backups

cybergran
20-12-2005, 10:25 PM
:waughh: Hi I have just got a new computer with Win XP Home Edition..Nero StartSmart is installed...I am checking out how to back up my install files before I really start using the computer and internet....What is "burning to CD" how and when do you use this feature....and when I create a backup do I have to burn this to a CD or just follow the wizard....I have tried the help files with not much luck so far...thanx....

maccrazy
20-12-2005, 10:42 PM
When you burn a CD, all your data is copied to the CD and "burnt" to it. It doesn't matter whether you use a "wizard" (not 100% sure why you would need something to help you as it is a pretty simple process) or just drag the icons to the CD, it is the exact same thing. As it is a new computer, I'm guessing your drive is also a DVD burner (maybe even double layer???). If this is the case, I'd recommend using DVDs to backup data as you won't fit much on a CD if you are backing up things like digital photos and videos etc. :)

cybergran
21-12-2005, 08:22 AM
:dogeye: Thank you for your reply....My computer has CD/DVD Dual Mode...Dual Format DVD Re Writer, 8x DVD=R writing, 4x DVD=RWwriting, 24x CD-R/RW writing, 12x DVD-Rom reading and 40x CD-Rom readihng...I haven't got any didital photos & videos that I have installed on the computer....what sort of DVD writer should I get to back up the install files...I want one that is safe for recovery just in case....When I do the backups do I have to "burn" them to the disc as well or just complete the backup process which copies to CD....If I have to burn them how do I do it.....sorry about all these questions but my last computer was only win95.....thanx

godfather
21-12-2005, 09:25 AM
Just to avoid confusion, "writing" to a CD is the same as "copying" to the CD which is the same thing as "burning" a CD.

Just different descriptions of the same thing

maccrazy
21-12-2005, 10:19 AM
what sort of DVD writer should I get to back up the install filesWhen you say install files, what exactly do you mean? I've never owned a Windows based machine, but I would presume that the manufacturer would include a restorer DVD with Windows XP and any other applications that came with your computer on it.

Anything you want to save for an extended period of time should go on a CD-R or DVD-R rather than their -RW (re-writable) equivalents. :)

cybergran
21-12-2005, 05:54 PM
:waughh: Yes I have the Windows XP CD, Norton Security Suite, plus some other disks too. however there does not appear to be CD's for the games and freeware so I wanted to make sure I have a back up copy......When I had WIN95 I had to re-install Win95 and all the programs that I had CD's for...However I did not get back any of the freeware, shareware etc....Hope this helps....Thanx for your help....

Billy T
21-12-2005, 06:11 PM
On that basis cybergran, what you want to do is create an "image" of your hard drive, not just copy files to make a backup copy. Unfortunately the latter (copying) will not restore your OS or programs.

Drive imaging is a quite straightforward process, both to create the image and to restore from it if necessary. I haven't time to provide more information right now, but there are a number of members on PF1 who can help you with this.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Cicero
21-12-2005, 06:17 PM
I would try clicking on Nero StartSmart and see if it directs you on how to burn a copy,then go from there.
Come back with questions if any problems.

cybergran
21-12-2005, 08:55 PM
:thumbs: Hi...thanx so much for your replies...I have been viewing the Nero manuals and with your help am getting a much better idea on how the new system works....With it being so close to xmas I can't see me doing the create an image of C: drive b4 then...Will get the DVD-R discs tomorrow and then will be ready when I have more time...I wish all a very merry christmas and a very happy new year....thanx so much.....

Billy T
21-12-2005, 10:18 PM
AFAIK Nero does not provide drive-imaging cybergran.

A drive imaging program is specially designed to capture and compress an image of your hard drive(s) complete in every way. Restoration of those images usually requires a boot disc because although you can selectively restore individual files or folders from an image while working in Windows, you cannot restore the complete image that way, and indeed if you need to carry out a full restoration from an image it is highly likely that Windows won't be operating correctly anyway.

There are a number for drive imaging programs out there now, I use Ghost myself but there are others equally as good if not better. Let Google be your friend.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

maccrazy
21-12-2005, 10:35 PM
Will get the DVD-R discs tomorrow and then will be ready when I have more time...You may want to get a DVD-RW disk to play around with as well because you can erase the disk if you make a mistake and start again (with a DVD-R disk you can only write to it once). :)

cybergran
22-12-2005, 08:13 AM
Hi...I already have CD-RW & R discs..so will get DVD-R & RW discs today... thank you...