PDA

View Full Version : Are there TV/AM/FM tuner cards?

GlennNZ
20-12-2005, 02:04 PM
I'm trying to find a card that handles TV, AM and FM. I see a lot of FM but no AM. Is there a card that can receive it? I've seen the Griffin RadioShark but I really need something that is all inside the box. Internet streaming is not an option either.

Thanks,
Glenn

Graham L
20-12-2005, 02:20 PM
AM seems to be the poor relation in consumer stuff. There are PC based communications receivers which have AM, (and SSB, and CW) but they're pretty pricey, and of course don't have TV.

godfather
20-12-2005, 02:44 PM
Broadcast AM radio is not an offering in the present card market in these cards, as it would often require a full outdoor AM long wire aerial, and nobody has one of those these days.

Try a transistor radio on the AM band beside your PC and monitor and you will see why, the interference on AM can be significant. Add the card inside the PC and its 100 times worse....

FM is reasonably immune due to the interference generated which tends to be Amplitude Modulation (AM) in nature, due to the digital switching occurring.

Graham L
20-12-2005, 05:30 PM
I think it's mostly a lack of demand.

All communications receivers have computers in them these days, and they manage to kepp the crud out. Receivers on PCI cards are possible, and made (though the best ones use an external box for the RF sections). Problems from the computer switching are much less these days, because the CPU clocks are above 1 GHz. 4.57MHz clocks were more of a problem.